Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Clyne
England
Hazlemere
Bucks
flag msg tools
Empire of the Midnight Beard
mbmbmbmbmb
A few of the cards in the game give you a choice of what to do. If you have none of something to lose, may you choose that part of the card as your penalty. Some games say that you can choose things to avoid losses, others that you have to choose something you can lose. Does anyone have any idea what GF9 intend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe an example would help...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Clyne
England
Hazlemere
Bucks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are plots with text like
Fallout
Case Lead must discard a Soldier or Burn an Asset

and Intel Cards like
Pay 2 Clout
------or-----
Burn an Asset

I find it interesting that the two types of cards are formatted very differently.

I went through the rule book and there is a paragraph on page 10 that covers a situation when you have to discard a token and don't have it but nothing to cover if you can choose an or choice to discard tokens when you don't have any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I (still) don't have the game yet, but...

The Plot cards (Fallout) seem clear to me, the case where you can't fulfill one of the "or" effects is explained on page 9 ("official reprimand").

In the case of "intel" cards (are they really intel?? ), I can't see an intel card like the one you mention in the rulebook. Can you describe one in detail (like the one you mention above)? What do you get for Paying/Burning and when do you activate it? It doesn't sound like a normal "intel" card...
Do you maybe mean "assets"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thompson
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools

As stated, the rules mention that soldiers may be used to protect assets from burning, so from that I think it's pretty clear that if you don't have a soldier you need to lose an asset.

I would imagine the Intel card would work the same way i.e. pay what you can.

I haven't encountered any games where "Pay X or Y" can be circumvented by choosing to pay the element you don't have over the one you do. I know certain players who might try to read it that way, but that would usually result in a slap.

Such games may exist, but I don't think this is one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Incarnadyne wrote:

... that would usually result in a slap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Clyne
England
Hazlemere
Bucks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being more serious are we saying that the choices are as follows:

If a card says 'Do A or B' you can choose something you can't fulfil as long as it involves losing tokens as the rules cover that situation. If it is anything else you have to choose something you can fulfil.

Next question - If you have to lose an asset or two soldiers what choice can you make if you only have one soldier?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Granger
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smok wrote:
Being more serious are we saying that the choices are as follows:

If a card says 'Do A or B' you can choose something you can't fulfil as long as it involves losing tokens as the rules cover that situation. If it is anything else you have to choose something you can fulfil.

I don't think that's right. I think it works this way: If a card says to discard two clout tokens or burn an asset, you must do one or the other. If you can do both, you get to pick which one you do. If you can't do one, you do the other. If you can't do either one, then you don't do either one. That's just following the directive on the card. To pick the option you cannot fulfill, when you can fulfill the other, would be failing to follow the directive of the card that says to discard one or the other.

smok wrote:
Next question - If you have to lose an asset or two soldiers what choice can you make if you only have one soldier?

In that case, if you have an asset to lose, you lose it because you cannot fulfill the option of losing two soldiers. A more interesting question (and maybe the rules cover this), is if, in the scenario above, you have only one soldier and no assets. Obviously you can't lose the asset. But do you lose the one soldier since it is the only option you can partially fulfill? Or does the card have no effect because neither option can be fulfilled. I think I'd opt for the latter. I don't know for sure though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.