Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Slade
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before you grab your torches and pitchforks, hear me out. I don’t dislike firework shows, I just don’t think there is anything special about them. I’ll watch them with family and friends whenever there’s a holiday that calls for fireworks, but I don’t mind missing them either. I guess all of the firework shows I’ve seen have scored between 11 and 15 . That being said, how have I liked Hanabi? I’ve loved it. Hands down my favorite co-op game right now. When I started looking into the game, I was intrigued by the main mechanic. That’s the reason we got the game, obviously not because of the firework theme. Which ended up being a good thing.

What I don’t like about the game:
-(This is such a small thing and I didn’t really appreciate it, but maybe you did/will) R&R Games published Hanabi and they subtly put their logo into the artwork on the back of the cards. Like I said, not a big thing, but I still just rolled my eyes a little when I saw it shake.

-This probably has more to do with the actual edition/product I purchased, but the box isn’t the easiest to get open. Again, such a small thing and it doesn’t actually matter, but it would be nice if there were little cutouts on two of the sides of the lid so your fingers can grip the bottom piece of the box while sliding off the lid.

What I like about the game:
-Everything else. Except maybe the fireworks theme. But the theme doesn’t really matter in Hanabi. It could easily be anything else.
-the unique (to me) mechanic of facing your cards away from you. This is what sold me on the game and it’s clearly what the whole game is about – relying on your teammates to help you.

Who will like this Hanabi:

-A gaming “group” of two people. My wife and I love playing this by ourselves. I think it plays a little differently than with 3 (I have yet to try 4).

-A group looking for a light co-op filler. I don’t know too many games that fit into this category. Games do not take long at all.

Who won’t like Hanabi:

-Someone who only likes games with extremely strict rules. Sure, Hanabi has rules. But you can (slightly) bend the rules to meet your group’s needs.

-(Maybe) Someone who isn’t a fan of firework shows. But who knows, maybe they'll be like me and love it.

At a ridiculously low price, it’s hard to pass up the chance to own Hanabi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.