Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: What Cards Do You Never Play Due To Being Boring / Outclassed By Others? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group just has the base game but we have been playing it a lot. So much so that I just went ahead and ordered Prosperity, Intrigue, and Seaside at once. (Shakes fist at Walmart's $15 base game deal. Damn you!)

On many of our plays whenever "Feast" was randomized it either just sat there being dead weight or after a while we just picked a different card. Library is starting to get that way as well but then again it could just be the way my group plays. I am not one of those "completionist gamers" (blasphemy I know) and with the way this game gets out of hand with the card quantity, I am looking to trim down the fat wherever possible.

So with that said, for all of you "Power Dominion" players who have all the sets and play a lot, what cards to you think are not worth playing / are outclassed by other cards? From the look of things our group will probably get each expansion besides Alchemy and the hard to get promos.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Snertz
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are cards that I pretty much never buy like Chancellor and Woodcutter but I don't see a need to ban them. You are probably never going to buy all 10 kingdom cards anyhow so it's fine if some are less interesting.

By the way, if there are good 5 cost action cards out there, I'm probably going to buy Feast as soon as I can. Having a good 5 before everyone else can make a big difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wuyley wrote:
My gaming group just has the base game but we have been playing it a lot. So much so that I just went ahead and ordered Prosperity, Intrigue, and Seaside at once. (Shakes fist at Walmart's $15 base game deal. Damn you!)

On many of our plays whenever "Feast" was randomized it either just sat there being dead weight or after a while we just picked a different card. Library is starting to get that way as well but then again it could just be the way my group plays. I am not one of those "completionist gamers" (blasphemy I know) and with the way this game gets out of hand with the card quantity, I am looking to trim down the fat wherever possible.

So with that said, for all of you "Power Dominion" players who have all the sets and play a lot, what cards to you think are not worth playing / are outclassed by other cards? From the look of things our group will probably get each expansion besides Alchemy and the hard to get promos.

Thanks
I'll go for Feast as a garuantee I'll be able to gain a $5 cost sooner than later. Getting a head start on cards like Mountebank, Witch, and the like can give you just that edge.

Every card does have its purpose, but I'm sure you wanted a more general response.

OTHERS:
Scavenger is what Chancellor should've been (never mind the cost difference

Venture is far better than Adventurer. The latter doesn't force you to play Treasure, and you get 2 of them, but since it's competing with Gold, you're usually better off buying the Gold

Noble Brigand is what Thief should've been. However, with the former, I'm much more willing to buy Platinum, and other specialty Treasure cards

ME:
If there's a Wharf and Outpost, I'd rather go with the former.

I slightly prefer Lab over Stables.

If I can afford a more specialty village (Workers Village, Walled Village, Mining Village, Fortress) over Village

Don't get Pearl Diver much anymore if I've got terminal card draws

Rats. Given my games vs. AI, I usually over do this and lose.

Forge. Great if you can even afford it, but then you may have other obstacles to overcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Library is a great counter to Militia, especially if Village is in play.

Also, if you open Chancellor/Silver, there's a chance you could buy Gold in turn 3 and play it in turn 4, which can be huge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
Library is a great counter to Militia, especially if Village is in play.

Also, if you open Chancellor/Silver, there's a chance you could buy Gold in turn 3 and play it in turn 4, which can be huge.
I've seen one person in a 4p tourney use Chancellor to get a kick start and win. He got his first Colony about 35% of the way in. Midgame, he was buying a few more Colonies, and also Grand Markets. It'd be a while before I'd get my first Colony wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Ackmondual said I am sure each and every card has a use in X situation and although my group is competitive when we play, you won't find us looking online for certain decks to build or ways to counter X card.

What Ackmondual said is what I was looking for (thanks). Basically cards that are either similar in nature (and one does it better then the other) or cards that by themselves are just "meh" in action.

I understand "bread and butter" cards like Market but for example one of the first cards that usually get bought up is Village because it lets you do "fun" things(your mileage may vary).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's a card that I never play, and it comes up in a Kingdom, my first inclination is to see if there's a way to make it work in *that* kingdom.

For some cards that can be extremely difficult. Scout, Silk Road and Navigator come to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally don't like Gardens, b/c I don't like the strategy it encourages (bloated deck + game-end-rush). Just isn't really a fun game experience. So if I'm playing with my GF we do a "mulligan" if we randomly draw it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ban no cards and I have all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jack elfrink
United States
McKees Rocks
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wuyley wrote:
.....and the hard to get promos.
I know this does not answer your original question, and I am also just adding fuel to the fire for the 'completionist' obsession, but .....

All six promos are available in stock on the board game geek store. http://boardgamegeekstore.com/search?q=dominion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Never say never...

I played a great board last weekend where Woodcutter was the only source of +Buy. I opened Woodcutter-Potion for a University/Rabble/Gardens deck and still found enough money to snaffle a couple of Provinces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All cards have a niche. Sometimes they shine. Some shine more often then others. They can't all be the best card ever.

The ones which are useful the least often, or generally the weakest are:

Feast: Feast lets you turn a $4 buy and a later action into a $5. It's got a niche in when you want to guarantee getting a $5 card, for example perhaps in slogs where getting more than $4 is hard, or when there's a $5 you desperately need and no other $3's or $4's are worthwhile in the deck you're planning, but it's quite rare.

Scout: The most frequently mocked card in Dominion, Scout does have some small value when there are multiple hybrid victory cards in play, or other certain things that can combo with it (e.g. cards that care about the order of your deck, cards that care about having victory cards in hand and so on). But generally, it's a worthless card. Unless 25% of your deck is victory cards, it draws an average of less than 1 card, making it worse than nothing (barring above mentioned cases where rearranging your deck is good).

Chancellor: Reshuffling your deck earlier is good when your discard pile is better than your deck, since then forcing the reshuffle means you're improving the average quality of your deck. And in attack light or attack free games, this is quite often while you're building your deck up as you're buying cards you want - which are going into your discard pile. However... the overall benefit is very small. Firstly if this comes up right after reshuffling, it's marginally useful at best. Or if it comes up right at the end of your deck. Late in the game when you're greening, it's worthless. If you have a good engine going, it's probably worthless as you're cycling the deck every turn anyway. And it's a terminal action, which means you're passing up other actions to play it. It's main use is the combo with Stash, but asides from that, it's tough to find games where Chancellor was really good and not just a minor benefit at best - or ignored entirely.

I don't think there's any other card which is quite so niche as these. Some like Counting House are fun, and can often lead to interesting scenarios even if they are rarely good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bird
United States
Greensboro
NC - North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loan from the Prosperity expansion. Seems completely worthless to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sabird wrote:

It's not bad. It doesn't take an Action to play, you can't draw it dead, it gives you +$1, and it can trash your Coppers. That's the point of Loan: to trash your Coppers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sabird wrote:

Non terminal copper trashing is pretty decent. It thins you deck and also offers some cycling. If you can play a treasure lite deck it's even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sabird wrote:
It can be a double edge sword if you're forced to discard Silver and Gold, but if you can manage to get rid of say... 4 Coppers, that's 3 less lousier cards to deal with (the Loan itself counts as 1). Bonus if you roll past dead cards like Curses and Victory ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
badge
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's Pawn. Sure, you get to choose two of Action, Buy, Card, or 1 Gold, but more often than not I end up using it for the Action and Card which means it's a dead card in the deck. If you're better at using Buys than I am and there aren't any on the board then I suppose it would be great, but for me it's a pass.

I'm starting to fall out of favour with Great Hall as well. I'm not really sure what out there takes its place, but a non-terminal 1VP was amazing a long time ago. Now, it takes a turn to draw it and if you're in a race for Provinces buying it slows you down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Svengaard wrote:
For me it's Pawn. Sure, you get to choose two of Action, Buy, Card, or 1 Gold, but more often than not I end up using it for the Action and Card which means it's a dead card in the deck. If you're better at using Buys than I am and there aren't any on the board then I suppose it would be great, but for me it's a pass.

Pawn can be really versatile. I often use it for [+1 Action; +1 Buy], [+1 Action; +$1], or [+1 Card; +$1].

Svengaard wrote:
I'm starting to fall out of favour with Great Hall as well. I'm not really sure what out there takes its place, but a non-terminal 1VP was amazing a long time ago. Now, it takes a turn to draw it and if you're in a race for Provinces buying it slows you down.

Yes, Great Hall's only gameplay value is in its combo potential. Nice with effects that care about Action cards and effects that care about Victory cards, but that's about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:

Yes, Great Hall's only gameplay value is in its combo potential. Nice with effects that care about Action cards and effects that care about Victory cards, but that's about it.

Great Hall/Silk Road FTW!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homer Simpson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
LastFootnote wrote:

Great Hall/Silk Road/Crossroads FTW!

Fixed that for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
Pawn can be really versatile.

I Princed two Pawns the other day. That was a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
homertve wrote:
ousgg wrote:
LastFootnote wrote:

Great Hall/Silk Road/Crossroads FTW!

Fixed that for you.

Come to think of it, that was the layout I played last weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
Never say never...

I played a great board last weekend where Woodcutter was the only source of +Buy. I opened Woodcutter-Potion for a University/Rabble/Gardens deck and still found enough money to snaffle a couple of Provinces.
Using Band Of Misfits allowed me to get a Province on 3 separate turns. It's quite flexible when you have an action card that generates $.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.