Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Ruiz
United States
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group and myself love Agricola. I am looking for a game which is similar, yet more complex.

Help us out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caverna: The Cave Farmers (a.k.a Agricola 2.0) is what comes to mind the most for me. Same designer, same basic concept, but with layers added on top and what some consider to be improved gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Steward
United States
Kent
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caverna is really the obvious one to check out since like was said, it is Agricola 2.0. You might be interested in the game Terra Mystica which is a euro with high complexity. Le Havre is another euro game by the designer of Agricola you might like to look into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Terra Mystica. It is not all that similar to Agricola, but those are my two favourite heavy Euros, with Terra Mystica taking the cake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem you may find with Caverna is that it's actually not more complex, as you request. I think Agricola presents a bigger challenge and a more stressful, complex game over all. For a more complex Agricola, consider adding Agricola: Farmers of the Moor.

For a more complex worker-placement game, check out Dominant Species, Florenza, and Russian Railroads.

For a more complex Euro (non worker-placement), check out Terra Mystica, Brass: Lancashire, Kemet, Trajan, and Keyflower.

For a great dice-manipulation game, check out Troyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caverna is pretty streamlined so I'm not really sure it is heavier than Agricola. Kemet and Keyflower are not heavy games as they are weighted in the range of medium weight games. If you want a brain burn, you would look at more games like Kanban: Driver's Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Parker
Australia
Elanora Heights
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
The problem you may find with Caverna is that it's actually not more complex, as you request. I think Agricola presents a bigger challenge and a more stressful, complex game over all. For a more complex Agricola, consider adding Agricola: Farmers of the Moor.

For a more complex worker-placement game, check out Dominant Species, Florenza, and Russian Railroads.

For a more complex Euro (non worker-placement), check out Terra Mystica, Brass: Lancashire, Kemet, Trajan, and Keyflower.

Kemet is great but its a completely different itch. Its got card-based combat and direct player conflict. Highly recommended, but a completely different sort of game from the heavy euros you're looking for. Its like a euro influenced combat game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelia Wright
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the Gates of Loyang

Look no further than this game. It is my FAVORITE. a true 10 and a great corrolation to agricola ish games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Myrmes. The feeding your family(/colony) mechanic is similar, but its primary form of resource/point management is focused around area control. It's like Agricola with a bigger focus on spatial elements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris Karpavicius
Lithuania
Kaunas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:

Trust the man. All the games are great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MacDouglass Kinnick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Hee Haw!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge Agricola fan, especially with the Agricola: Farmers of the Moor expansion. I also love Duel of Ages II, especially with the Duel of Ages II: Master Set. So I think Duel of Ages II might be the right game for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manus trium
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm gonna add The Castles of Burgundy. Mostly because everyone I've shown the game to who enjoyed Agricola loved it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caverna could be the game to get, but it could also be a disappointment, as it is pretty similiar to Agricola and definitly not cheap (you might spend a lot of money without getting a really new gaming experience).

Complex, good Euros about building up your own tiny stuff on your tableau:
* Russian Railroads
* Castles of Burgundy
* Puerto Rico (more interactive)

Games on one board:
* Terra Mystica
* Village (same theme as agricola)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Ruiz
United States
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Caverna is pretty streamlined so I'm not really sure it is heavier than Agricola. Kemet and Keyflower are not heavy games as they are weighted in the range of medium weight games. If you want a brain burn, you would look at more games like Kanban: Driver's Edition.

I have had my eye Kandban! I love the theme. The tricky part would be convincing other players (i.e. the wife) that this would be fun.

Thanks for the recomendation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say Caverna is more complex than Agricola...but a lot more fun for me.

If you want a brain-burner, try CO₂.

Other games to try:
Power Grid
Eclipse
Clash of Cultures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb

Snowdonia is a game that shares some of the main mechanisms with Agricola...it has worker placement, and throughout the game you will be acquiring cards which garner you points when certain conditions are met, (instead of getting the cards all at the beginning of the game as in Agricola).

Certain abilities are dynamically tied with weather changes, and with everyone 'building' the same line, (railroad), what you do, and what others do, effects everyone else...and sometimes in a good way.

It is a marvelous game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Ruiz
United States
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
winterplum wrote:

Snowdonia is a game that shares some of the main mechanisms with Agricola...it has worker placement, and throughout the game you will be acquiring cards which garner you points when certain conditions are met, (instead of getting the cards all at the beginning of the game as in Agricola).

Certain abilities are dynamically tied with weather changes, and with everyone 'building' the same line, (railroad), what you do, and what others do, effects everyone else...and sometimes in a good way.

It is a marvelous game.

I have Snowdonia!! However i have only played solo. I do like the "fulfilling contracts" aspect of the game which has led me to looking into Merkator, also a Uwe game.

Thanks for your input
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
groggycarpet wrote:
My gaming group and myself love Agricola. I am looking for a game which is similar, yet more complex.

Help us out!

This is a tough one. If 2 player only were an option, I would say Fields of Arle. It is definitely similar but slightly more complex I would say.

If you are really looking for increased complexity, you should check out some of the games from What's Your Game? such as Vinhos maybe.

Finally, although it's not really more complex than Agricola, Glass Road sometimes feels more complex to me due to the way the resource/production wheels work. It is a superbly designed game and a lot of fun to play in my opinion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
groggycarpet wrote:

Help us out!

At the Gates of Loyang
Keyflower
Eclipse
Puerto Rico
The Manhattan Project
Glass Road
Spyrium
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.