Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read many reviews of Pixel Tactics 3, but I can't figure out what kind of variety the new cards bring to Pixel Tactics 1 and 2 (which I both own and haven't played yet).

My main question is essentially: do you get new powers that have a different flavor (qualitative feel)? I don't care much for powers that mostly change the numerical quantities of some other, existing powers, but I very much like getting new cool effects that open new strategies and make games feel different.

A distinction between the leader and hero powers might be relevant.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've mostly played Pixel Tactics 1, so it is the most distinct entity in my mind of the different sets.

PT 1 tends to be dominated by strong, action efficient order effects. Overbuilding your unit is suicide (if you try, the 5 AoE order effects can nuke you back into the stone age), and the games tend to be more brutal and abrupt than sets 2 or 3.

PT 2 and 3 are not as distinct in my mind because I've only played each a few times, but my sense is that both have weaker orders, so building up your unit is more viable. The abilities seemed fairly different, but I can't point out distinct differences in the feel of the 2 off the top of my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a terrible confession to make. I own Pixel Tactics 1-3, but have only played 1 so far. I am excited to try it, but we have had heaps of fun with 1 so far and have not ventured that far. Will come back after I get to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
Pixel Tactics 3 has a focus on Synergy and Support, so there are a lot of new things explored there.

Here are a few highlights in the leader Pool:

Alice Zero - She can "imprint" the power of another leader, gaining that power temporarily.
Arret Draamivaar - His unit can contain 14 heroes, instead of the normal 8.
ARIA - Your 'Supporter' and 'Forerunner' effects target entire rows, instead of single heroes.
Rixia Van Sorrel - You can mark heroes (yours or the opponents) to swap their printed stats.
Wardlaw O'Brien - All your heroes can make melee attacks, even when not in melee.

As you might expect, there are a lot more supporter and forerunner abilities in this set too, giving you lots of incentive to build up a highly organized unit. This is a sharp departure from 1 and 2, where heroes are mostly good on their own. PT3 really requires you to find order in chaos, rather than just gems in the rough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.