Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

Star Realms» Forums » General

Subject: POSSIBLE CHEATER: Yuletide rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brother Sharp
msg tools
Hi,

Just played a rematch game with user Yuletide. Somehow they managed to play a second Recycling Station when only one was acquired. Checked the game log and there was only one purchased. No Stealth Needle either though that can't copy stations only ships so that is not how they did it?

I am at a loss to explain it... Just be wary of this user.

Have messaged the developers in case it is a bug/hack.

Hopefully I just missed it, but just in case. Thought I'd share.

Peace
BrotherSharp
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Sharp
msg tools
Still in the game,

he is definitely cheating somehow duplicating cards, he just played two trading posts when he only had one.

Something weird is going on...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest posting about this via the official White Wizard forums. This is the best way to address such issues.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would anyone do this? Could it be a glitch?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Why would anyone do this? Could it be a glitch?


Suppose it could be, but it's very easy to cheat in Star Realms online, if you can be bothered.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Grenier
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey! I played this guy to. Cant remember if I won or not, probably lost if he is cheating.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though: Namecalling is not the art of a gentleman.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Gartner
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Please don't accuse someone of being a cheater. If you think you've seen a bug, let support know and be done with it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
benjotron wrote:
Please don't accuse someone of being a cheater. If you think you've seen a bug, let support know and be done with it.


He's calling it like he sees it, nothing wrong with that, at all, in my book. Sorry. shake
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
benjotron wrote:
Please don't accuse someone of being a cheater. If you think you've seen a bug, let support know and be done with it.


He's calling it like he sees it, nothing wrong with that, at all, in my book. Sorry. shake


It would have been more appropriate to take his concern to the official support first before calling him or her out in public.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HomerJr wrote:
I suggest posting about this via the official White Wizard forums. This is the best way to address such issues.

Can someone direct me to that site? I can't seem to see a link from www.starrealms.com
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HomerJr wrote:
wytefang wrote:
benjotron wrote:
Please don't accuse someone of being a cheater. If you think you've seen a bug, let support know and be done with it.


He's calling it like he sees it, nothing wrong with that, at all, in my book. Sorry. shake


It would have been more appropriate to take his concern to the official support first before calling him or her out in public.


I can see it being helpful to post it in several places though I can see your point about posting it there, first, as the best way to start doing so...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Gartner
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I don't think it's helpful to call someone out as a cheater in a game where it should not be possible to cheat. How is this going to benefit anyone? If someone is using an exploit, I don't have any recourse other than to report it to the publisher.

I think it's way more likely that there was an error on the server side, something was misremembered about the game or any one of ten other possible explanations. We're part of a community, there's no reason to call someone in that community out as a cheater without a shred of evidence, especially when they don't have any chance to defend themselves.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a number of flaws, though, imho, with your thought process here, Ben. (No offense, intended, I just strongly disagree.)

For one, you're making the assumption that it's somehow not possible to cheat - the sad reality is that no matter the game, no matter the efforts taken, IT'S ALWAYS POSSIBLE TO CHEAT. And sadly, more people will take that option than you expect.

How it benefits people for someone to make that accusation is that it lets other players be on guard to notice other suspicious things, also, thus closing the door on a potential sleazeball.

I see nothing terribly factual, however, to back-up your assertion that it was "way more likely" to be a server issue. That's what cheaters rely on: people to make their excuses for them.

Your statement that there's no reason to call someone out simply because everyone's part of that community can just as easily be flipped around to say: "There's every reason to call someone out SPECIFICALLY because they're part of a community that is expected to be trustworthy." I can agree that it's best to have some sort of proof but the OP felt he had that by the sounds of it. He has evidence, he witnessed the activity and incorrect results happening. And most of the time, these cheaters wouldn't bother "defending themselves" anyway, in my experience, so feeling bad about that seems a bit pointless.

That being said, my own personal modus operandi is to really be sure or see more examples of issues before going to take the next steps but I don't feel that the OP is wrong for doing so. Seems a bit odd to flip things into trying to make him out to be the bad guy for calling someone out if he thinks they're cheating...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Gartner
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The original poster may have evidence of a game error. I haven't seen it. They haven't bothered to provide it. But a game error is not necessarily the result of cheating.

The game server enforces the rules. I don't see any evidence behind your assertion that it's always possible to cheat. Maybe it is now, but that doesn't mean it can't be fixed.

So we don't need to rely on a community to drum out cheaters, other than annoying them in-game. I don't want this community to do that, or rely on consensus to determine the guilt of cheaters. Furthermore, the community has no way to drum out cheaters, other than reporting perceived cheating to White Wizard.

White Wizard can and has investigated exploits and fixed them. If you think you've seen an exploit, email them at support@starrealms.com.

If you want people to be on the lookout for bad behavior or game errors, you can describe the problem without labeling someone a possible cheater or mentioning their name at all. That way we don't have to tolerate cheaters and we don't have to accuse potentially innocent users, like Yuletide, or anyone else for that matter.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We'll have to agree to disagree. I'm not a "everyone should win an award" or a big politically correct "we don't want to offend anyone" kind of guy, so my perspective is almost certainly coming from a different place than yours.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Gartner
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I'm not that kind of person either, but I'll certainly disagree with you anyway.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I am quite happy to hear that...it's not a world view I'm overly fond of.

We can agree to not have to disagree THAT much - I just think it's not quite as damaging for the OP to complain but I can, I'll be honest, see where you're coming from too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
awww, see ya'll can get along...you both should get an award! devil
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HEY!! I see what you did there! angry laugh
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Santana
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
benjotron wrote:
The game server enforces the rules.


No.

Rules are enforced by the active client.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The all-seeing, all-knowing, all-trollin' Mike Hutton
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played benjotron several times recently and at least once he has ended up with cards I don't remember him purchasing ...... One turn in and he ends up with. 6 cost blue card this last game, contacting WW about this
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The all-seeing, all-knowing, all-trollin' Mike Hutton
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
.......and just ended our game with an epic 27 point attack...take that!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Clingman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mhutton wrote:
I have played benjotron several times recently and at least once he has ended up with cards I don't remember him purchasing ...... One turn in and he ends up with. 6 cost blue card this last game, contacting WW about this


Huh? You sure it was benjotron? He's been a longtime member of the community and is an experience player of not only Star Realms, but also M:TG and other games. I think you might be mistaken.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Steendam
Netherlands
Assen
Drenthe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played someone who was able to play a starbase, war world, twice in the same turn. Next turn het did it again. It did make me wonder how that was possible. I started searching the web and found this thread where something similar happened.
But after investigating further I discovered that there are cards that let you return a base to it's owners hand, even your own hand. So you can play a base, play mega mech, base is returned to your hand and play the base again.
So you can benefit twice from the same base card.

Just my 2 cents.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.