Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I want to start this post off by clarifying that I don't get to play this game as often as I like and I do wonder if there might be some groupthink at play here. So if you feel there is a viable counter-strategy to what I am proposing, I would like to hear it.

One of the things that I have noticed about the way this game is played is that the first person to buy out all of the of their cubes seems to have an advantage over other players simply by the nature of having an extra cube. Once another player has done the same thing, they cannot buy their 13th cube without triggering the endgame. This means that one player can operate with 13 cubes while the others have to operate at 12. So, for example, that player can create an extra historian or accountant without giving up a boat to do so. Unless another player is in the lead and can hold that lead, they have to continue operating at one cube less. As such, our games often have become a rush to see who can get all of their cubes activated first so we can operate with that advantage.

What I would really like to see is a way for all the players to be able to use all 13 cubes so that the cube count remains even for all players, but then this removes one of the end game triggers. I like that players have some kind of control over when to end the game. Maybe doing it the other way around might be a solution: buying the 13th cube is a trigger only, but you can't actually use the cube? I don't know. Maybe there is something else to this game that I am missing where this is not as big of an advantages as it seems to be, thus the reason I kindly ask you all for opinions. The only thought that comes to mind on this is if somebody were exploring every turn and rushing the game to get to India, maybe this minimizes the advantage, but our group likes to actually play the economic simulator rather than rush the game this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bunyan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
One of the things that I have noticed about the way this game is played is that the first person to buy out all of the of their cubes seems to have an advantage over other players simply by the nature of having an extra cube. Once another player has done the same thing, they cannot buy their 13th cube without triggering the endgame.

I think there is an advantage, but on the downside this gives control of the endgame to every other player (unless they're also sailing to India at the same time, in which case they probably deserve to win if they manage both together). So they may have more cubes, but if everyone else has a better point scoring engine they can keep churning and postpone ending the game until they're ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Buying all cubes doesn't work fine if one ore mor eplayerddo a exploring stratgey making for a short game.
Also it won't work, if someone else buys his last cube early, then probably one of the other players with fewer cubes who concentrated on making points quickly will win. This happened recently in a game where i bought my last cube first, but s.o. else was in a position where he wanted to end the game as the situation wouldn't get bette rfor him with a lomger game.
If the game goes long, yes, than it's a good thing to have bought all cubes first, but the advantage isn't too strong, doesn't mean you'll win automatically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.