Popular Tags: [View All]
Nikos Fakos
Greece
Kymi Evoia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A quite beautifull morning,a bright idea came to your mind about your next board game design.Immediately you are doing a research if your idea has been already be placed on the boardgame market.Hours of design,creativity and playtesting follows you for a few months and your project has finally reached the prototype version.After that, you have contact some publishers about your project and you have participated on some regional board game dezign contests and open events.At the exact past day you relize that another project somewhere in the world,with exactly the same theme and almost the same name appeared on the board game design community.You relize that your project has been closed on WIP presentations and you finally are some steps behind.You count that the other project is in the same phase as yours.What're your thoughts?What you are going to do from now on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm unclear on why I would care beyond studying the other game, like any other game, for ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me it seems pretty improbable that theme, weight and mechanics of two games in the same stage of development are very similar to 'the same'.

Now, it might be theme-wise if your theme oriented at something that was new in pop culture (e.g. Game of Thrones) a while ago and had massive impact.

That said, if it happened to me, I'd try to contact the other designer(s) and see how you could mutually resolve your problem. Maybe the mechanics allow for another theme without the latter seeming sewed onto the former. Maybe you can change mechanics slightly (slightly! if you are as far into the process as you described, you'll not want to overhaul the whole game) to focus on another group of gamers - make it longer, shorter, add a small par, take a small part away... and make the other guy(s) do the same. Voila, two different games!

I really think you should communicate rather than try to beat them for the release date to show he world you clearly were the first with this idea and the other(s) just totally copied you.

Josh 'Dagar'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Fakos
Greece
Kymi Evoia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the theme actually restricts the game play and some similarity may occur.Thanks for your answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Fakos
Greece
Kymi Evoia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dagar wrote:
To me it seems pretty improbable that theme, weight and mechanics of two games in the same stage of development are very similar to 'the same'.

Now, it might be theme-wise if your theme oriented at something that was new in pop culture (e.g. Game of Thrones) a while ago and had massive impact.

That said, if it happened to me, I'd try to contact the other designer(s) and see how you could mutually resolve your problem. Maybe the mechanics allow for another theme without the latter seeming sewed onto the former. Maybe you can change mechanics slightly (slightly! if you are as far into the process as you described, you'll not want to overhaul the whole game) to focus on another group of gamers - make it longer, shorter, add a small par, take a small part away... and make the other guy(s) do the same. Voila, two different games!

I really think you should communicate rather than try to beat them for the release date to show he world you clearly were the first with this idea and the other(s) just totally copied you.

Josh 'Dagar'

I agree with you, the other designer probably feel the same way as i do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, from what I can tell, this sort of thing happens more often than you'd think.
If there is any sort of legal question involved (like a trademark) or reasonable probability of IP theft (you know that these people have taken your work after you showed it to them, a completely original setting or extremely unique theme) then you may need a lawyer.
But more likely, it is just coincidence. You can contact them about your game and negotiate rights to use the name (again, may need a lawyer for this). But that doesn't really mean anything will come of it.
My best recommendation is to keep moving forward. Maybe their project will fail, or maybe it will take a lot longer than they expect to finish.
Can you share what makes the mechanic and theme so inseparable? (after all, the worst that can happen is that somebody designs a similar game, and you're already in that situation.) Plus public sharing is a great way to build public support and knowledge of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
This stuff happens all the time in research and often the personal stakes are much higher. It's the details that distinguish the projects. Ever type "Zombie" into the BGG search engine? There are plenty of clone games out there. Work on your game and learn from other games. If your game isn't as good as the similar title, take what you can and keep pushing at it.

That said, I think it's also important to recognize that your iteration may not be the best one and may just not work. It's possible that a previously designed game might do everything your game does and do it better and in more interesting ways. Congratulate yourself. You asked questions with your design that other folks thought were worthy of investigation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This happens fairly often. For some reason more often when both games were created in a vacuum and in the dark of anything else. Somehow that magnifies the chances the two games will be very simmilar somehow.

Sometimes though the simmilarites are not as great as one initially thinks. But the designer is too obsessed or distraught to see it.

And in the end the games probably end up playing and looking different on more respects than not.

Either freak out and quit, or try to browbeat the other guy into quitting.

Or shrug at one of the supernatural phenomena of game design and continue on as you were.

Now on the other hand, if your game looks alot like someone elses much older game. Then you might want to consider some tweaks to move it away from that likeness, even if its just theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Fakos
Greece
Kymi Evoia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will try to give you an example of project that this mess occurs;If there were two projects defined by the following states you would probably notice the similarity.
"A restaurant management simulation board game".
Such a project there are more similarities beyond its theme.
BTW It's not this theme that concerns me,this is just an example.l testify this just as something weird that happened with my project.
Thanks for the answers tho
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Theme can create certain "conduits" along wich design ideas will flow more readily than others.

In your restraunt management example.
Now I happen to be good at making pasta dishes so Id gear my game around that knowledge. But someone else might know seafood dishes and base around that. But we might both hit on the following factors that rules need to cover.

Who makes the order and their patience and pickyness levels.
What ingredients the order requires.
How long each segment of the order takes to prep and how complex to assemble.
When each new order comes in and the rate they pile up.

So we might both hit on simmilar mechanics to get the job done. Or we might diverge at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.