Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
very manly muppet
badge
muppet of a man
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a bug in VGG? I seem to remember this game being ranked in the top 100 games for a while, but now it's not showing any rank, not even on the NES platform. I don't know how rankings are calculated and I know the geek never publishes the formula, but come on... is Mario 3 really supposed to be ranked lower than Rainbow Islands?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
very manly muppet
badge
muppet of a man
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured it out. VGG is treating the game as a compilation, because it "contains" the original Mario Bros. as a mini-game, and compilations don't get ranked. This seems really unfair to such a great game, though I'm not sure what the solution should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently brought up in the divorce/merge thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So Day of the Tentacle is also a compilation because it includes Maniac Mansion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hirocon wrote:
I figured it out. VGG is treating the game as a compilation, because it "contains" the original Mario Bros. as a mini-game, and compilations don't get ranked. This seems really unfair to such a great game, though I'm not sure what the solution should be.

You just have to laugh. So typical of behind-the-scenes decision-making at VGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B
United States
Kittanning
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It's
badge
I've had it with these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane!
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Hirocon wrote:

You just have to laugh. So typical of behind-the-scenes decision-making at VGG.

The solution is that this isn't a compilation. There was a good review of this posted recently Why I love Super Mario Bros. 3 and after I read it I noticed SMB3 was listed as a compilation and I was about to complain about it before I saw this thread. Honestly, I love this game as much as anyone, and I played it two-player a lot 20+ years ago, and even I forgot that the original Mario Bros. was included in this. This game should be ranked- make it so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's funny to me is that I was one of the loudest voices complaining years ago when, during VGG Beta, compilations were ranked. At the time it seemed like there was a lot of resistance when it came to un-ranking The Orange Box, for example.

Now Super Mario Bros 3 is removed from the rankings on an absurd technicality?

Categories must be hard. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Harris
United States
Gainesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:

Categories must be hard. laugh

Don't get me started. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enjoy some homing fireballs!
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, this probably does cause a marked increase in the average quality of games in the NES top 10

(Gotta work to get my yearly quotient of Mario-hate in; I've been slacking on that since Volcano Lotus hasn't been around much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darn! Cynical beat me to the punch! devil laugh

But JohnRayJr isn't wrong about the compilations...so weird for them to not be ranked...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Compilations definitely should not be ranked. Then you just end up with the same game ranked multiple times.

Super Mario Bros 3 is obviously not a compilation, is the point being made here, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
Compilations should not be ranked, but the games in them should be in the database! Like the PS3 version of Portal, the Wii versions of Metroid Prime 1 and 2!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.