Subject: March 2015 Metro Vancouver No-Ship Math Trade - Discussion Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grand Prince Poutine Lord High Thrifter
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
Please support the International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games are always happily accepted!
mbmbmbmbmb
Please use this thread for questions, comments, et cetera on the March 2015 Metro Vancouver No-Ship Math Trade.

• Trade geeklist: March 2015 Metro Vancouver No-Ship Math Trade

• Request geeklist: March 2015 Metro Vancouver No-Ship Math Trade - Request List

• Deadlines: Posting games (Sunday, 8 March 2015 at 22:00 PDT) & Want list submissions (Thursday, 12 March 2015 at 22:00 PDT)

Where & When Do We Meet:

Saturday, 14 March 2015 at 11:00 PDT

Terminal City Tabletop Convention
Bonsor Recreation Complex
6550 Bonsor Avenue
Burnaby, British Columbia

There is lots of free parking and it is very close to both Skytrain and bus routes.

If, for any reason, you are not able to meet at the appointed time and place, it is your responsibility to make alternate arrangements with your trading counterpart(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Beattie
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
This'll be my first math trade. There's something I'm not getting here.

On BGG I've already indicated what games I have for trade and the condition they're in: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/bradbeattie?trade=1...

Likewise, I've already indicated the games I want: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/bradbeattie?want=1&...

So what's up with having to re-enter all this data into the geeklists? Shouldn't the geeklist just be of users attending?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
Please support the International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games are always happily accepted!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Brad, good question. The short answer is that the MT software requires it. By creating separate geeklist items, you can provide more detailed information about what you are prepared to offer for trade. For example, many people combine multiple items from their collections into one lot for the MT. You can see some examples of this from the trade geeklist right now. The MT software matches up individual lots together in order to make the trade work.

Here's a more obvious example. If you had a single Dominion promo card on your "for trade" list, it is unlikely that it would trade successfully for, say, a copy of Robinson Crusoe. But, if you combined all of your various Dominion cards and expansions into one geeklist item (i.e. one lot), then you would have a much better chance of it working.

You can import your "for trade" list directly into the geeklist and MT software, which will save you a great deal of typing. GM me if you need further help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Duly
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For some reason, I am not seeing this Math Trade on my home page of the OLWLG.

There are a bunch of other trades listed but not this one.

How can I find the list on OLWLG?

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanDevan wrote:
For some reason, I am not seeing this Math Trade on my home page of the OLWLG.

There are a bunch of other trades listed but not this one.

How can I find the list on OLWLG?

Thank you.
The administrator of the OLWLG hasn't posted it yet. It often takes him a day or two. This shouldn't be a problem as we've got ages before it needs to appear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Duly
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh ok, so to add games to the OLWLG I should just use the link you provided?

Last few MT I did, I just went to OLWLG and clicked on the MT and added that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanDevan wrote:
Oh ok, so to add games to the OLWLG I should just use the link you provided?

Last few MT I did, I just went to OLWLG and clicked on the MT and added that way.
You can add items either directly in the OLWLG or through the main MT geeklist, which is here. Either way, they'll end up in both places. I added mine to the geeklist since the MT hasn't yet appeared on the OLWLG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Duly
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh ok, I wasn't aware that adding games to a geeklist would transfer them automatically into the OLWLG.

Is this typical of how MTs work or is it an extra step you are providing personally?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanDevan wrote:
Oh ok, I wasn't aware that adding games to a geeklist would transfer them automatically into the OLWLG.

Is this typical of how MTs work or is it an extra step you are providing personally?
This is how the MTs work -- although I would hesitate to use the word "automatically". I have to manually (and periodically) sync the geeklist and the OLWLG, but this is very easily done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not seeing the MT at OWLG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talonz wrote:
Not seeing the MT at OWLG?
Yes, I addressed this above. The administrator of the OLWLG hasn't posted it yet. It often takes him a day or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our math trade is now available on the OLWLG. Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Duly
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Question: What does it mean if, in the OLWLG, I am editing my wants in the "grid" (Step 4 I believe) and there are check boxes that show up as yellow?

Do I need to check those boxes? Or do some other type of adjustment?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanDevan wrote:
Question: What does it mean if, in the OLWLG, I am editing my wants in the "grid" (Step 4 I believe) and there are check boxes that show up as yellow?

Thank you.

Yellow is just the program's way of pointing out that you may have offered a game you seem to value more without offering a game you seem to value less. You don't need to check them at all, if you don't want to. If you're happy with it, then it's fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Duly
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Juxtatype wrote:
EvanDevan wrote:

Thank you.

Yellow is just the program's way of pointing out that you may have offered a game you seem to value more without offering a game you seem to value less. You don't need to check them at all, if you don't want to. If you're happy with it, then it's fine.
Sorry I'm not following. Do you mean the program is "recommending" I offer more value (more games)for a particular game I have selected as a want?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Fort St James
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanDevan wrote:
Sorry I'm not following. Do you mean the program is "recommending" I offer more value (more games)for a particular game I have selected as a want?
It helps if you pretend the program thinks you're assigning a value to each game on your wantlist and your tradelist. So, if you're willing to trade game A for games X or Y or Z, and game B for X or Y but not Z, then the program can handle that. Obviously you value game B higher than game A, and game Z lower than X or Y.

Where it gets confused is if you say you'll trade game C for Y or Z. It's capable of handling this, but it highlights one or more unchecked boxes in yellow, to say "hey, this looks like your valuations are a little off, are you sure that's what you want to do?"

It's really useful in larger trades where you're wanting and offering a whole bunch of games, since it can show you pretty quickly where you've misclicked something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Duly
Canada
Langley
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JazzFish wrote:
EvanDevan wrote:
It helps if you pretend the program thinks you're assigning a value to each game on your wantlist and your tradelist. So, if you're willing to trade game A for games X or Y or Z, and game B for X or Y but not Z, then the program can handle that. Obviously you value game B higher than game A, and game Z lower than X or Y.

Where it gets confused is if you say you'll trade game C for Y or Z. It's capable of handling this, but it highlights one or more unchecked boxes in yellow, to say "hey, this looks like your valuations are a little off, are you sure that's what you want to do?"

It's really useful in larger trades where you're wanting and offering a whole bunch of games, since it can show you pretty quickly where you've misclicked something.
OK thanks for the info. What I'm unsure of though is if the yellow check box means I have valued the game I've offered for trade too high or if I have valued the game I've offered for trade too low (in relation to the game I have selected as a want).

Or does the program only "flag" it if my games are valued too highly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanDevan wrote:
Juxtatype wrote:
EvanDevan wrote:

Thank you.

Apologies, I may not have been as clear as I should. There are two categories of games on your screen: obviously, the games you want and the games you are offering. There may be games that you want more than others; and there may be games you're offering that you value more than others. The system is simply saying (by a yellow box) that you've checked a game that you want with your offering of a game that is seemingly more valuable than another game which you didn't offer for the same wanted game. I say, "seemingly" because the computer tries to figure out what you value based on your selections.

tl;dr -- if you're happy with your selections, you can safely ignore the yellow boxes. It's just a small service of the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Fort St James
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanDevan wrote:
OK thanks for the info. What I'm unsure of though is if the yellow check box means I have valued the game I've offered for trade too high or if I have valued the game I've offered for trade too low (in relation to the game I have selected as a want).
The program doesn't know. It makes no absolute judgements, just relative ones.

Like, if I'm willing to trade A for X,Y,Z and B for X,Y and C for X,Z, it'll say "i can't parse that, maybe there's something wrong? did you *really* mean to trade C for Z?" And maybe you did: maybe you aren't willing to trade B for Z but you're willing to trade C for Z. But maybe you misclicked and didn't mean to trade C for Z. Or, alternately, maybe you meant to trade B for X,Y,Z.

Basically, it warns you any time it can't sort things neatly. That's frequently (though not always) an indicator that you've slipped up somewhere, though not always where it thinks you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Juxtatype wrote:
Important note about the above lot!
Don't be put off by the size of this lot. I am looking for comparatively very little in exchange for this bunch of games. Also, given the size of it all, if you prefer, I will drive it to your home.
I just noticed that large lot. I kinda wanna do the same thing, unload a lot of my games that I'm just not playing and am unlikely to play. Thing is, most of them are kinda crap. Old and unloved from sales and thrifting. Is a math trade the place to do this or would I be better off just dumping them on craigslist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Mission
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the meet up, for those of us who are not actually attending the convention on Saturday (because its sold out), how do we get in to deliver our games. Will there be a special room/location for us to go in and loiter around? Clarification appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Innsmouth_Look wrote:
For the meet up, for those of us who are not actually attending the convention on Saturday (because its sold out), how do we get in to deliver our games. Will there be a special room/location for us to go in and loiter around? Clarification appreciated.
The organizer of TCTC, Shannon, is a very kind fellow and a supporter of this math trade. I will ask him to allow you (and anyone else in your situation) in to conduct the exchange. I can't speak for him, so I will confirm this here, on the discussion thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Innsmouth_Look wrote:
Sold out? I was going to go to this event and planned on just paying at the door, is this not possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowecore wrote:
Innsmouth_Look wrote:
Sold out? I was going to go to this event and planned on just paying at the door, is this not possible?
I've heard nothing about it being sold out. You can still buy tickets from the TCTC website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff MacDonald
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowecore wrote:
Innsmouth_Look wrote:
There is only tickets available at door if they are not sold out. Last year Saturday did sell out with very few if no tickets at the door. Best buy online prior to being sold out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |