Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: diy [+] [View All]
Gene
United States
Venice
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Watch where you point that thing :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried using floor tiles for game boards?

I've made a few game boards. I'll usually print them out on card stock and them glue them to illustrator board, thick card board, or even to the back of an old Trivial Pursuit board. These all work fine. But, some game boxes just don't have any extra room to hold the thickness of the new board. So I started thinking about what I could use that would be durable enough but very thin (maybe about half the thickness of illustrator board).

Floor tiles! I bought some very thin peel and stick floor tiles for .20 each.
1)Printed out a copy of the Diamant board onto some card stock.
2)Peeled off the paper on the back of the floor tile (no need to add any glue). And just pressed on the card stock.
3)Trimmed the tile to the size of the board with a razor blade.

And in 3 steps I have a very thin and durable new board that only took about 2 minutes to make.

For boards that are larger than a 12x12 tile; try electric tape on the back of the tiles for an easy way to fold and unfold the new board.

Let me know what you think. And if you have any suggestions on something else to try using.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert C Kalajian Jr
United States
Simsbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great idea! What about warping though. Vinyl tiles have a tendency to warp if not on a floor

I've got a few extra in the basement...may make good prototyping boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene
United States
Venice
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think warping would be too much of an issue if the tile is laid flat for storage. That's usually only a problem in areas of high humidity. Like a damp or concrete floor. A small bit of weight (like the games components) should be enough to keep the tile from warping.

You could always go with a higher quality(thicker) tile if desired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oooh, I'm scanning in my CC:A board even as we speak!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think it's an excellent idea especially for prototype boards but certainly would be great for replacement boards as well. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene
United States
Venice
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I forget to mention this before; another thing I was really impressed with that there is no need for glue.

77 spray works well. But I've stained the card stock using too much glue, and I've had some spots that have come loose too easily from not using enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arcadian Del Sol
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
floor tiles come in two types: flexy-bendy, and heavy-as-crap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene
United States
Venice
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take another look through your local Home Depot, Lowes, etc... There are various types of floor tiles that are rigid enough, while still being thin and light weight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

if you want a more rug type board - try Flor tiles...

Sorry, just had to through that in there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about floor tiles that have material on - more like a carpet feel? Would they bend or warp with time as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only issue is that these boards probably won't last a long time... the floor tile will likely outlast the cockroaches in the event of a nuclear war, but the paper might yellow and decay over time, because it's just plain cardstock to begin with, and possibly from the effects of the glue.

Still, really cool method.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene
United States
Venice
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering what would be the best way to seal or protect the card stock from yellowing with age. I don't think the glue from the tile would be too much of an issue. I was thinking more along the lines of the aging of the card stock over time.

Laminating would be easy enough but not exactly great eye candy.

Is there any kind of spray on sealer that anyone can suggest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
I bet this would work great:

http://krylon.com/main/paper_finishes_template.cfm?levelid=5...

I've used it for my poker chip labels and you can barely tell it's there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea Germarish.

If your tile is the "flexy-bendy" type as mentioned earlier then just apply a piece of plexi-glass on top of the card stock map/game board and voila should prevent warping and keeps the map/game board from getting marked up!!

Doc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think square Paving Stones make great coffee-table gameboards. Glue does not take well - but with a little time you can chisel the layout into the surface...ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bartel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Germarish wrote:
I was wondering what would be the best way to seal or protect the card stock from yellowing with age. I don't think the glue from the tile would be too much of an issue. I was thinking more along the lines of the aging of the card stock over time.

Laminating would be easy enough but not exactly great eye candy.

Is there any kind of spray on sealer that anyone can suggest?

I recently made the Atollo Modulis expansion for Power Grid. I picked up a can of Rustoleum Crystal Clear varnish to spray the board tiles. It worked pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Germarish wrote:

Yeah, and now I'm regretting not having gotten the patent!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/982095#982095

Me! wrote:
One alternative to foamcore, label sheets, and/or spray adhesive that I've made some use of... 12"x12" linoleum (?) tiles. You can buy cheapo tiles (and really, all you nead are the cheapos; you're not walking on them!) at three for a dollar. One side is coated in adhesive (after you peel off the wax-paper backing), and the other side has a texture to it that should reduce slipping when resting on a flat surface. Just print off your images on regular paper (or photo paper if you want that gloss finish), smooth them down on the sticky side of a tile, and (if need be) trim the tile down to size with an X-Acto knife.

I've already made several replacement and makeshift Roborally markers and mini-boards using this method.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen it done before, though I haven't tried it myself. It works quite well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought six tiles last night, to use with CC:A. Then I used an online hex generator to make my own map, so I don't have to cut up the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.