Omen: A Reign of War» Forums » General

Subject: Why can't spirits be enraged? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anders Bentsen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
I couldn't find this question anywhere...

So, anyone know why spirits can't be enraged? Not that it bothers me. It just seems like a strange exception, and since there really isn't an obvious thematic reason I'm thinking there is a practical one... Maybe to make spirits a bit less powerful?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well spirits are kind of non physical beings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Bentsen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
I suppose they are
Still, does that make them incapable of being enraged? I have a feeling there is as more practical reason for the rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j clowdus
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a thematic choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
MonkeyHorse wrote:
I couldn't find this question anywhere...

So, anyone know why spirits can't be enraged? Not that it bothers me. It just seems like a strange exception, and since there really isn't an obvious thematic reason I'm thinking there is a practical one... Maybe to make spirits a bit less powerful?

Though John answered, I thought it was because Spirits have a Beast-like quality to them and Beasts can't be enraged either. So in my mind it was that aspect preventing it and why the rule wasn't strange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not having a go at the OP here or anything, but man does it annoy me when people ask "why" questions about game rules. This happens to me a *lot* when teaching games to other people, and I never know what to say, beyond "well, that's what the rules say".

To be fair, it actually makes sense in a forum like this to ask this question, because the designer can give the reason, or if not, lots of interested and knowledgeable parties can vouch an opinion, and the discussion makes sense.

But when it's asked of me as I'm teaching the game, it's a bit of a show-stopper. "It's in the rules" is only ever grudgingly accepted, and I don't think I should have to come up with something thematic on the spur of the moment - not that that would be the required answer either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love these sorts of questions, as long as the rules explanation is not interrupted TOO many times. However, I think these considerations are important for defining the world of the game beyond just a set of arbitrary rules. Hopefully there is a strong thematic reason, else I enjoy making one up on the spot. Either way, it helps to cement the rule in our minds. Otherwise, it's "just like in real life", which is my way of saying "that's just the rules!" (Amusingly (to me), James Ernest and friends landed on the same phase for that situation.)

Beasts cannot be enraged because they already start that way. Spirits cannot be enraged because they are beyond such trivial emotional sway... unless they already are!

Edit: typos... what I get for trying to type on a phone...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryP wrote:
... as long as the rules explanation is not interrupted TOO many times....

Fair enough. And maybe that's the key - the people I teach games to generally won't shut up long enough to understand what the hell is going on. They're all either fiddling with something else, or too busy over-thinking it and coming up with their own questions which are either a) irrelevant or b) will be explained shortly if only they'd have some patience. Argh!

Hmm... or c) already been answer three or four times when they weren't listening before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
GaryP wrote:
... as long as the rules explanation is not interrupted TOO many times....

Fair enough. And maybe that's the key - the people I teach games to generally won't shut up long enough to understand what the hell is going on. They're all either fiddling with something else, or too busy over-thinking it and coming up with their own questions which are either a) irrelevant or b) will be explained shortly if only they'd have some patience. Argh!

Hmm... or c) already been answer three or four times when they weren't listening before.

Time to pack up and find a new gaming group!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may have a point. Except that these people are first-and-foremost my friends. I've kind-of dragged them into this hobby, and most of them are not quite there yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
You may have a point. Except that these people are first-and-foremost my friends. I've kind-of dragged them into this hobby, and most of them are not quite there yet.

Time to pack up and find a new group of friends!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Bentsen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
justjohn wrote:
It was a thematic choice.

Thank you for the answer, John I just love when designers take the time to answer even non-important questions like this.

I guess the word "spirit" invokes quite different images for different people. To me an enraged spirit wouldn't be that strange. But clearly not everyone agrees on that

Also, I absolutely love Omen Omega Edition Deluxe. Best 2-player game I have ever tried.

As for the rest of the discussion, I totally get that too many annoying "why" questions can ruin a rules explanation But personally I love trying to connect the dots between rules and theme, which is what I struggled a bit with in this case. It made me suspect there might be some super powerful combo you could pull off if spirits were allowed to be enraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.