Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Folks,

I just picked my new Valley Games version of Die Macher up off of my front step. I've never played Die Macher, but I've read the rules (2nd and 3rd editions) on line. Now that I actually own it, I'd like some advice from all you Die Macher veterans.

Am I missing anything by playing the game with the Valley Games rules as written? If so, what should I tweak?

Does it work with three?

I've printed the various player aids from Board Game Geek, and I've convinced myself that, mechanically, the game isn't that complicated--there are just a lot of things going on. Any commonly omitted rules that I need to watch for?

Thanks for your help.

-Aaron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know the Valley Games rules, but for the 2nd edition, I would recommend at least four players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Kelley
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Board games with Scott has a video review of the game. It is about an hour but it explains a lot. I would suggest watching that and then re-reading the rules. things will be a lot clearer. Then maybe you can try explaining it to friends and that should solidify the mechanics in your head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it's not that complicated--if you've played Power Grid or any number of other games that have multiple phases to a round, you just add a couple extra phases, and that's it. It's area majority, negotiation, and auctions (and, of course, timing). But, like learning a simple dance step, it takes a few rounds before the order of the round makes sense and becomes predictable.

I don't know of any problem rules (I have 2nd Ed). As far as proposed variants, an interesting idea from Michael Webb resurrects the idea of party platform committees from 1st Ed. Apparently, it's possible with the current setup for one person to get stuck with a loser platform for most of the game.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/130719

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Elbl
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some subtle differences from 2ed to the Valley ed., but nothing that appears to change the game significantly.

I, personally, would not play Die Macher with 3 players. It is a four to five player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.