Manu
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
I am not a cyborg!
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I look at posts on BGG trying to explain LOS, the more confused I am.

I am not used to block wargames, and the fact that the position of a block within a hex (read, along one of six possible edges) actually matters for LOS seems to really make the problem complicated. I like complexity, as long as I am able to understand it.

I have another session this evening, maybe it won't seem as complicated when playing

I think one that really befuddles me is this:

Crops is a terrain piece that has a defensive up-shift.
Therefore it potentially blocks LOS
In this example - if I understood correctly - LOS between these two units is blocked.

So, what would need to happen for either of these to fire on each other?

Would an infantry need a move order to first change position within it's own hex, to the opposite edge, and then fire?

Would a vehicle need to be in support mode to do the same?

If I have one wish, it is that the updated rules are very generous with visual examples and explanation of how LOS works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gone C. Profile
msg tools
supamanu wrote:
I am not used to block wargames

(Note that no other block game works this way; also, the effect would be the same if you were to replace the blocks in this game with counters, which is something I've toyed with.)

supamanu wrote:
In this example - if I understood correctly - LOS between these two units is blocked.

Yes.

supamanu wrote:

Assuming north is up, the gray block needs to move so that it's facing east, and the green block needs to move so that it's facing west. If only one of those blocks changes its facing, it's still trying to tracing LOS through the other block's hex, which can't be done because the terrain in the hex blocks LOS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Knemeyer
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
supamanu wrote:
I am not used to block wargames

(Note that no other block game works this way; also, the effect would be the same if you were to replace the blocks in this game with counters, which is something I've toyed with.)

supamanu wrote:

Yes.

supamanu wrote:

Assuming north is up, the gray block needs to move so that it's facing east, and the green block needs to move so that it's facing west. If only one of those blocks changes its facing, it's still trying to tracing LOS through the other block's hex, which can't be done because the terrain in the hex blocks LOS.

Kuhrusty's comments are all correct.

The updated rules will be rich in examples on this, that is a definite. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Coelho
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:

Is it fair to say that infantry in crop fields will never, ever engage in short range combat then? In this example, not one, but both sides would have to arrange their units adjacent and facing each other, with the second guy committing to this doing so with the knowledge that the OTHER guy gets to shoot first.

More than likely, one of the players would commit to a close combat and roll the dice, or vacate the area to deny the opponent a chance to do the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
supamanu wrote:

Crops is a terrain piece that has a defensive up-shift.
Therefore it potentially blocks LOS

The rules as written: ALL terrain pieces block LOS regardless of their offering cover or not.

Essentially, you can only see a unit in terrain when it is on a hexside you can touch without crossing that terrain.

The case where the two units are adjacent (as Rusty described) means that each unit's hexside can touch the other unit's hexside (since it's the same hexside!) and so the way to shoot at units in terrain is to be next to them.

Quote:
If I have one wish, it is that the updated rules are very generous with visual examples and explanation of how LOS works.

That's the plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RabbitMan wrote:
More than likely, one of the players would commit to a close combat and roll the dice, or vacate the area to deny the opponent a chance to do the same.

That sounds like a logical outcome of enemy troops facing each other across cropfields. Tain't gonna be a shootout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
RabbitMan wrote:

That sounds like a logical outcome of enemy troops facing each other across cropfields. Tain't gonna be a shootout.

To be clear, one unit needs to move into the other unit's hex to initiate close combat, but, yeah, that'd be the more predictable move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
I am not a cyborg!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. That clears it up. I assume this is all true for both infantry AND vehicles (I have no reason to believe otherwise from the rules, but well tanks are BIG and would have trouble hiding in crops).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Gator
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is another case where the differences between War Stories and other hex&counter board games do not really hit home until you are in the midst of play.

Traditional hex&counter wargames have instilled the idea that the centerpoint of the hex is the "location" of the unit occupying the hex and therefore all assessments of LOS focus on reaching that point. This is a practical and useful abstraction to make game play easier to regulate.

War Stories seems to be taking the idea that there are many points within the boundaries of a hex where a unit might reside. This has been abstracted to the six hexsides being the possible locations and all assessments of LOS being to the particular hexside on which a block is located.

I think many of us have struggled with this because we have decades of "training" that tells us that is not how you determine LOS.

I could pontificate on this more but will stop here with this observation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
supamanu wrote:
Thanks everyone. That clears it up. I assume this is all true for both infantry AND vehicles (I have no reason to believe otherwise from the rules, but well tanks are BIG and would have trouble hiding in crops).

That's correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rexgator wrote:
This is another case where the differences between War Stories and other hex&counter board games do not really hit home until you are in the midst of play.

Traditional hex&counter wargames have instilled the idea that the centerpoint of the hex is the "location" of the unit occupying the hex and therefore all assessments of LOS focus on reaching that point. This is a practical and useful abstraction to make game play easier to regulate.

War Stories seems to be taking the idea that there are many points within the boundaries of a hex where a unit might reside. This has been abstracted to the six hexsides being the possible locations and all assessments of LOS being to the particular hexside on which a block is located.

I think many of us have struggled with this because we have decades of "training" that tells us that is not how you determine LOS.

I could pontificate on this more but will stop here with this observation.

I think doing it the way War Stories does adds some unique aspects such as (1) making facing and flanking important and (2) giving some sneaky LOS opportunities (both for having LOS or keeping out of LOS) which make it play a bit differently than the usual tactical fare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.