Subject: very concerned about balance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this just came out so I need help for some playtesting from this great community

Is this designed to be balanced with the other factions? Or are they standalone?

It just seems from first glance these factions are very powerful, sort of the best traits from two different factions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: very concerned
They underwent way more playtesting than any faction before them... There were around 100 playtesters totalling thousands of games.

Have you played them yet? What was your specific experience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Durivage
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever you have a game with so many asymmetric factions, there are going to be good matchups and bad matchups. This is something that is impossible to control.

That being said, as a playtester, I had access to a subset of the statistics they kept regarding the win/loss ratio. This subset was pretty darn close to 50/50.

For kicks, I compared it to my local Netrunner league's stats, and I would say that the Summoners are closer to the 50/50 ratio than many of the runners/corps. There are corps in Netrunner that straight up lose no matter how you build for them, and there are corps that win way more than any other. Same thing with runners. SW doesn't really have this, built or default, from the playtesting stats that I've seen.

That being said, however many games us playtesters play, there is always a chance that infinite time and plays from the community can unearth some sort of degenerative strategy that straight up beats everything. That is the case in any board game, but it is still a possibility here.

I think that if you and your friends like Summoner Wars, you'll love playing Alliances with and against the older stuff. The old summoners may fall by the wayside because the new ones are shinier and new, but rest assured that lots of time and effort has been put into making sure they aren't overshadowed in strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OP, can you please rename the topic to something more detailed? I hate these generic names, where people just do not care to inform the public about what the topic is about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
With pretty much all of the second summoners I was always jumping up and down (as I appear prone to do) yelling way overpowered deck! - gamebreakin deck!

Then I'd find when I actually played with or against them... Not so much... Just right.

We shall wait and see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moosey
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have only played new factions vs new factions thus far, but I have noticed some of the factions that look way underpowered at first end up getting the win.

It seems like there's a lot more interplay between these cards, some of which seems like it's begging to be deckbuilt with the older stuff. However, I've noticed that both myself and my opponents tending (and only tending) to put out fewer units.

Remember that sometimes a faction may also be more or less powerful based on your playstyle and people you play with groupthink regarding how they play. Take it as a challenge to discover why PHG playtesting thinks what may seem like an ongoing weak team to your group, and start expanding your strategies to dominate with them.

I will hold faith that the armies are balanced until I see otherwise. And even then, head my advice from the previous paragraph.

I will say they are more conveluted. I like the new level of convelution. I will also say you have to think harder about summoner defence with some of the "sniping" abilities in the new factions. Basic cover no longer "covers" it. (more so now that it used to).

The 3 games I've played since getting alliances have been some of the most entertaining matches I've played of my favorite board game. Couldn't be happier!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:
OP, can you please rename the topic to something more detailed? I hate these generic names, where people just do not care to inform the public about what the topic is about.

This x100

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:

Sure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think mainly I'm just concerned about old vs new factions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played six out of the eight new factions so far, although only against each other. They don't seem so devastating to me.

In particular, I'd take issue with the idea that they simply combine the strengths of their contributing factions. They do synthesize the original factions on a conceptual level, but they are as likely to preserve weaknesses (e.g. Elien's low life, the Deep Dwarves' need to pay a magic premium to use their abilities) as they are strengths. They seem quite finely tuned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:

bigGameGeek wrote:

Sure

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Magno
Argentina
flag msg tools
I was playtester of this, and I can assure you that at least Base sets fights are very very balanced.

Now if you add deckbuilding, new summoners may be up, or op, nobody really knows, the possibilities with deckbuilding are too vast to explore and I just don´t know and i think at this point nobody knows.

I will say though that there is nothign blatantly obvius, but if anything evidence show that from the 3 sets (1st , 2nd and alliances) 1st summoner looks like the more powerfull sets, Grognack, Tundle, Tacullu, Mugg, Rallul , dema and krusk are still, even wtih alliances the most powerfull summoners out there. I know that at least on base sets, the matchups are even, but i have reason to think the named summoners may be better than the rest when deckuilbind kicks in.
Having said that, this is just my mental theorycraft.

If you are really worried about balance, just keep base sets, and you will be fine, if oyu get into the vast deckbuilding world, well part of the price you will pay is that some summoners will be better as is impossible to test all the variables for a just a playtesting team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not concerned at all.

I love to criticize Plaid Hat, but one thing they do very, very well is playtest and balance.

I agree the many of the new alliance faction abilities sound overpowered, but PH absolutley earned thier benefit of the doubt with me as far as balance, esp with summoner wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganybyte wrote:
I love to criticize Plaid Hat...

Why on earth would you love to do this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Renaud
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one didn't thought they would be powerful when first looking at them.
Fallen Phoenix is now my favorites of the 8 and in my opinion, the strongest of the set.
The deep benders looked pretty overpowered when I first saw the text of the geopath, but they don't work as good as I first thought, very strong against deck with no unit with bow symbol. Otherwise they die too quick for their cost.
The Swamp mercenaries really look like the worst of them, but time will tell.

A nice thing with SW is that you can't just play every deck the same way. you need to really know your deck and how to use them. So some deck that are begginer friendly willl look stronger at first, but keep using those deck that aren't so good at first and try to figure how to use their true potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.