11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] Competitive Nurse-theme game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael McKinley
msg tools
Hey, guys,

I've got a prototype game in progress already (Infiltration/Heist game) but I thought I'd share another game concept I'm working on that isn't quite as far along. I've got the design ready, but still need to make the prototype.

My wife is a Registered Nurse and over the years she's described her day to me. As you can imagine, it's a demanding job. I recently thought about taking those experiences and developing a time-management/meeple placement game.

So!

The object of the game is to discharge all of your patients before the end of your shift.

At the beginning, each player is dealt 5 patient cards in their hand. On the board each player has 2 patient rooms with 1 patient already in each room (from the previous shift). Each patient card details needs they have, such as medicine, bandages, etc. These can be gotten from the different stations placed on the board.

The patients in the rooms must be discharged before you can admit the patients in your hand.

There are 12 rounds, each representing a 1 hour period of time in a 12 hour day. In each round the players take turns taking 2 actions (so each action represents 30 min of time). On 1 action, you can place your nurse meeple at the Med Express station to collect medicine (dice roll divided 2). This of course takes up the Med Express station and the next nurse must do something else, like go to the Supply Room to get Bandages. Or go to the Break Room, which allows them to be first player on the next round, etc.

After each round, a color coded dice is rolled representing Codes (Code Blue! Code Red!, etc) 2 sides are blank so you could get a Code-less round.

After discharging a patient, you get points. If you also do your charting for the patient (at the computer station) you get extra points.

At the end of 12 rounds, points are added up based on patients being charted on, negative points for patients still in your hand, and negative points for having too many supplies (unused medicine, for example).

Here's my thoughts on the board. Color coded for each player's patient rooms:

Prototype Patient card (still very WIP)

I'm knee-deep in testing my first game, but this is my next game I'll be developing. Any reactions or thoughts are very appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ashton
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Nurse Shift Frenzy!
I would avoid the word "Shift" in the name of the game, because it is easily misread at a glance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKinley
msg tools
Ha, hadn't thought of that. Well, the name is just an idea. Can easily be changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvkhaos wrote:
I would avoid the word "Shift" in the name of the game, because it is easily misread at a glance.

I dunno about that really. The preceding word Nurse doesn't lend itself to making you think $#!t. Now if the name of the game was Dog Shift or Horse Shift then maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary McCammon
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might look into the game Trauma Case Inbound, which explores a similar theme in an ER setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary McCammon
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robbdaman wrote:
mvkhaos wrote:

I dunno about that really. The preceding word Nurse doesn't lend itself to making you think $#!t.

It did to me when I first saw it. I figured it might be a whacky Anime-type game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
There appears to be at least two other games with this theme and they are both co-op:
Acute Care (not released yet)
Triage

I wonder if your game would lend itself to this co-op mechanic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKinley
msg tools
I went ahead and changed the name of the thread. I'm wasn't that attached to it.

Acute Care does sound similar, using time management in a 12 hour day. I can imagine it was inspired by a real-life nurse(s) as well. My game is a competitive game with the 4 nurses competing to care for and discharge their patients faster than the others.

Another aspect of my nurse game is the addition of "complication" cards. Players get these cards that they can play against other player's patients, such as adding over-zealous family who demand the nurse's time, or adding more medical needs to a patient so they go from needing 2 meds to suddenly needing 4... stuff like that.

So a few of the basic info about the game as it is now:

2-4 players
competitive
12 rounds
high score wins
card-based with a board for resource collecting

It's meant to be humorous, with a cartoony style and funny card flavor text.

Another element are Call Lights. Patients may trigger these in certain rounds or at certain times and wish for the nurse to visit them that round. If the nurse doesn't, the patient will lose patience, eventually leaving and those points are no longer able to be gained.

Thanks again for the input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Make sure you put emptying a bedpan in there somewhere (a card you screw your competition with)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless this totally sucked, it would be an instant buy for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mtmckinley wrote:
Patients may trigger these in certain rounds or at certain times and wish for the nurse to visit them that round. If the nurse doesn't, the patient will lose patience, eventually leaving and those points are no longer able to be gained.

I'm pretty sure the average nurse would be just fine with the impatient patient taking a hike. They should lose points, but gain morale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.