Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is really well balanced and to get one more VP than you opponent can be quite a task. In our last game i made a beginner's mistake, as i left 3 carriers and one transport ship in one sea sector. My opponent hurried in with 5 Zeros and sank 2 of my carriers. Er .. that would not probably happened in the real world unless some bad Kamikaze action was going on (... which was introduced way later in the war during battles around Philippines if i remember well).

By the other words ...
It is quite important to realize that one has to always protect his capital ships with something that is positioned on the battle box between the capital ship itself, and the start of the neck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeeshkul wrote:
The game is really well balanced and to get one more VP than you opponent can be quite a task. In our last game i made a beginner's mistake, as i left 3 carriers and one transport ship in one sea sector. My opponent hurried in with 5 Zeros and sank 2 of my carriers. Er .. that would not probably happened in the real world unless some bad Kamikaze action was going on (... which was introduced way later in the war during battles around Philippines if i remember well).

By the other words ...
It is quite important to realize that one has to always protect his capital ships with something that is positioned on the battle box neck between the capital ship itself ship and the start of the neck

It is a very finely balanced game. Definitely the best of the A&A battle games. Yes, every single VP counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes i love it. I don't like the big AA games, they tend to get out of control, too fiddly and i prefer tactical to strategic games.
I wanna try the Bulge, that one seems to be also good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
yeeshkul wrote:
Yes i love it. I don't like the big AA games, they tend to get out of control, too fiddly and i prefer tactical to strategic games.
I wanna try the Bulge, that one seems to be also good.
...but not as balanced as Guadalcanal (to say the least).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I'll bite. What makes you say it's not balanced?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
meanwhile .... balanced or not, it is on the way home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
OK, I'll bite. What makes you say it's not balanced?
In my, admitted limited, experience the Germans have won every single play. Even against one of the best players I know I won playing the Germans. It was for the first time in many years I literally crushed that much feared opponent. Guadalcanal on the other hand saw Japanese as well as US players win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeeshkul wrote:
meanwhile .... balanced or not, it is on the way home.
And you are right. It still is one of the better "light" Bulge games out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a pretty steep learning curve for Allied strategy, but many people find it balanced once Allied strategy is optimized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
There is a pretty steep learning curve for Allied strategy, but many people find it balanced once Allied strategy is optimized.
i'm willing to accept that the Allies can have a hard time and that there is a strategy to give the Germans a hard time too. Time to study and discover that strategy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.