Zach Hillegas
msg tools
mbmb
So, we finally finished our first campaign. I was the Imp, and basically wiped the floor with the Rebels. To switch things up, I'm going to play the Rebels now, and I'm almost positive they're going to choose subversive tactics. Normally, I would be able to observe their actions from the campaign to play around this, but we were using strain wrong the entire campaign. We were playing to where, if your strain was maxed out, you could still strain move and do special abilities at the expense of damage. It wasn't until the final mission where we realized that you CAN'T do specials if your endurance is maxed out. That, combined with Subversive Tactics, sounds truly terrifying to deal with. Anyone that has had success in fighting this deck? What would be some good heroes to bring in? For example, Gideon seems like a good choice until you realize his most useful ability costs 2 strain, and then he seems less appealing. Right now I'm looking at Mak, Fenn, Diala and Gaarkhan. Opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
msg tools
My group is playing this deck and actually doing petty well. Only lost one mission to the imp, the Diala weapon mission. We are using Diala, Fenn, Gaarkhan, and Jyn. This might seem odd, but Jyn works really well, if you keep her rested. Watching our imp player work so hard to strain and attack her, then for her to double rest (to heal some of that damage) in a turn and pop him on a figures activation or attack on her is pretty fun. The other thing this does is it means the imp is spending those strain abilities on Jyn almost exclusively, with the exception of Gaarkhan sometimes, leaving everyone else alone.

Jyn just takes a different approach then the other characters. She is at her best when rested and just close enough to pop guys on activation or as a counterattack. It's like getting an extra attack or two every round if you play it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Hey!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fenn Signis and Jyn Odann are the biggest hard counter to Subversive Tactics.

Subversive Tactics biggest weakness is it doesn't provide buffs to its units. Consequently, upgrade your weapons immediately. The sooner you can take down Stormtroopers in one action:Attack, the sooner you start developing a huge advantage against subversive tactics.

Fen doesn't have huge strain requirements and recovers strain naturally. He also punishes the Imperial player if they group units together. He's a beast.

Jyn is exceptionally strong against subversive tactics since, if she's positioned correctly, she can attack three times in one round. That will usually be enough to remove a few imperial units from play. Additionally, Jyns speed of 5 makes it easier for the player to save strain since she has so much mobility.

In my opinion, Ghaarkan is the weak link and only gets better once he unlocks his +2 damage when wounded ability. Again, this works against Subversive Tactics since the units in play have no health bonuses. However, Ghaarkan will get blasted to bits if he rushes in. I think you only Rush in if Ghaarkan is the last activation in the round: so, you can then immediately retreat the next round with the first activation.

Gideon is great, but you'll need to carry him for the first half of the campaign.

Diala's remove defense die is almost too good to pass up as well.

Makk should not be brought along if you have Jyn. They play far too similar of a role, but I think Jyn is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Burchett
United States
Maryville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avengers! Cowabunga!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is some good insight. I am a fan of Mak and Diala. If Mak has Jeswandi Training and Disengage he can survive better and get into places he needs to be. If one strain = 1 movement point, then he gets 3 with one strain. He could, and that is could, move up to 9 spaces in one turn.

His pierce 2 ability is great too. I have found that on small maps it is very difficult to stay 4 spaces away to even use it.

Diala with her art of movement xp ability is fantastic as a melee character that could have a lightsaber.

I agree that Jyn's quickdraw is a great ability.

My group currently has Gaark, Mak, Jyn and Finn. I would be willing to trade Mak for Diala.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard B
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
www.nine2fivestudios.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Move via strain when you can. Recover strain when attacking. Don't be afraid to full rest during your turn, especially if you are able to strain to move where you need to go.

Gideon is stupid strong. He basically makes the best people on your team better and has a great up close and personal weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Mott
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
The best way to fight against Subversive Tactics is to put your weapons down and walk out with your hands up.

/Imperial

I'm running subversive tactics as the Imperial player in my campaign, and here are some of my observations:

- This deck is all about putting strain on the Rebels, and then punishing them when they try to remove it. Surgical Strike and Heavy Pressure pile on the strain, and Exploit Weakness and Executioner capitalize on it.

- Once Exploit Weakness comes out, you can pretty much kiss normal rest actions goodbye. In the last three of my sessions, there have been multiple times per mission when a Rebel would be all "I really need to rest" and then his teammates would be all "No way! If you rest, he'll <do something awful>!"

- The class is pretty weak early on, but it's massive at high threat levels.

So:

- Favor abilities that increase your endurance. E.g. Unstoppable (Gaarkhan), Rebel Elite (Fenn Signis).

- Use strain sparingly. Spending strain for movement points early in a mission is great way to run out of endurance and then lose whatever advantage you gained in the first place.

- Find other ways to recover strain. Search crates for Adrenal Stims. Spend surges to recover strain when you attack. Use Fenn Signis' Adrenaline Rush ability.

- If you have to rest, make sure nothing has line of sight to you when you do.

- Don't get saddled with a Supply Deficit.

- Don't let your early victories lull you into a false sense of security. By threat level 5, if you're not playing smart, you'll be swarmed by figures and too exhausted to deal with them.

So yeah. If you're playing against an Imperial with Subversive Tactics, the name of the game is strain management. If you exhaust yourself unnecessarily, you're gonna get beaten down for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy mcglothlin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
You need Fenn... Lone Wolf and Adrenaline Rush mean he can laugh a lot of it off.

Focus on finding ways to take advantage of your abilities that don't cost strain before making upgrade choices.

If you have Mak it might make sense to ignore some abilities you'd want against other Imperial decks. Expertise and Supply Network can help you manage that strain while their counterparts are going to add to it when you use them (although Disengage is still a more cost efficient use of strain than straining for movement).

I'm not sure Garkhaan is the best against this deck at all. Jyn I can see since she can still punish and move around while resting. Otherwise I think I like Fenn and the characters that have that extra 5th endurance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.