Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Solo Play: Shadows of Brimstone vs Conan vs others? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Viper .
msg tools
I am looking to add some solo games to my collection. I am looking for games that have a ton of theme, very good gameplay, and good components. I already have Descent (first edition) and Arkham Horror. From my research, it seems that Shadows of Brimstone is really good and Conan (Monolith Games) has a lot of hype because of all the minis included. However, Conan would probably need a solo variant it seems. So which of these games (or others) would be the best for solo gameplay?

Any responses will be appreciated.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows of Brimstone is a great game, but be sure you know of the work involved putting the minis together.

You will need sprue cutters and glue to make this game playable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
Viper5121 wrote:
However, Conan would probably need a solo variant it seems.
Out of the box, I don't think Conan is solo playable:
Monolith wrote:
Conan is a miniature-based board game that pits one player, the overlord, who controls hordes of savage tribesmen, no-good lowlifes and undead minions against 1 to 4 players who incarnate the legendary Conan and his fellow adventurers. The gameplay is asymetric, as the overlord possesses a large selection of models and objectives which are his own, whereas the brave heroes are played from a first person perspective, much like in a role playing game.

Have you considered Zombicide? It is very solo playable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weston Burk
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some solo games with good theme and good components:

Mage Knight Board Game
Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?
COIN series games (Fire in the Lake, Cuba Libre, etc.)
Space Empires: 4X

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CM Amidon
United States
Hancock
Michigan
flag msg tools
Isle Royale NP
badge
GO CRAWL IN A CAVE! When not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gejayge wrote:
Shadows of Brimstone is a great game, but be sure you know of the work involved putting the minis together.

Yep.

I've played several games now. The gameplay for a dungeon crawl is decent, but nothing exceptional. The theme is very good. However, other than the mine-dungeon crawl, if felt very undeveloped. Going to town was a neat idea, but there was not much in the rulebook about it. Leveling up was a great thing, but the scale of the game is not that big--only 7-8 levels, all fighting the same monsters over and over again. It seemed repetitve without any overall goal.

I wasn't sure what to make of it, whether I really liked it or not.

Then I found: Hexcrawl. Now I'm itching to finish my current game of Robinson Crusoe and get started on this campaign. Not sure how my long term view of the game will go, but I'm excited to play again now,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viper .
msg tools
Mage Knight just doesn't appeal to me for some reason.

However, how does SoB compare to Zombicide? Which is the better game overall?

Opinions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't care for zombicide at all. So Shadows of Brimstone I'd by far the better game. It offers persistent character development. The game is more about that than about any individual dungeon. It's also more about the narrative than the tactical dungeon play.

There are limited types of minions, but as you level up, the enemies get new random abilities when they spawn, so they're not always the same. They also have a harder side.

Zombicide has slightly better tactical play, but lacks the persistence completely.

Also, hexcrawl is amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often describe Shadows of Brimstone as Descent meets Arkham Horror meets Wild Wild West. And I love it. We'll be selling our copy of Descent soon because SoB is so much better for us.

Previous posters are correct in that the game doesn't come with a big overarching story. But it's not hard to make your own. Characters progress and level up, they might get persistent injuries or madness, or mutations. They'll find some cool gear. They can go into town to do everything from shopping to gambling to converting to religion. My favorite character started off as an outlaw bandido and is now a religious zealot. laugh

SoB has even inspired me to paint the minis, despite me having painted a whole 3 or 4 minis before starting in on this game. Overall, I'm having a blast with it.

In terms of SoB vs Zombicide, do you want persistent characters that level-up and progress, like Descent? Or do you want to start with a new set of heroes for each scenario, like Arkham Horror? Both have scenarios that aren't really tied together. In SoB you can tie the scenarios together yourself (the adventure book gives an example of how to do this, such as doing the Escape mission after a failed adventure). Zombicide (in what little I've played of it) is a bit more like Arkham Horror in that each game is it's own unique entity, and the results of one game have no impact on another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Viper5121 wrote:
I am looking to add some solo games to my collection. I am looking for games that have a ton of theme, very good gameplay, and good components. I already have Descent (first edition) and Arkham Horror. From my research, it seems that Shadows of Brimstone is really good and Conan (Monolith Games) has a lot of hype because of all the minis included. However, Conan would probably need a solo variant it seems. So which of these games (or others) would be the best for solo gameplay?

Any responses will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game

Gears of War: The Board Game

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game

Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game

Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Viper5121 wrote:

Opinions?

Mage Knight is an overrated crap , it got high rating because the creator have fanatical fanboys..

avoid ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
look for solo games from these excellent companies..

Dan Verssen Games (DVG)

Victory Point Games

Solitaire games that still fun even after 25 plays
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
Viper5121 wrote:

Opinions?

Mage Knight is an overrated crap , it got high rating because the creator have fanatical fanboys..

avoid ..

I respect your opinion, but completely disagree.

Mage Knight was the first Vlaada game I ever played so I was by no means a 'fanboy'. It has a great combination of many mechanics, and is like a giant puzzle to solve. Some like a game that is a total brain burner, some don't. It doesn't make it crap, or fantastic for that matter. Just different.

If it interests you, do your research. It may or may not be for you. It seems to have very polarized ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
Viper5121 wrote:

Opinions?

avoid ..

I had never heard of the designer when I bought and played it.

Love it.

Still haven't played another game by him.

Watch your assumptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord of the Tabletop
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to say Firefly the Game with any of the expansions!
It is a blast to play solo. Also The Lord of the Rings card game is also amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.