Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to find some that might be interesting to read/play in spare time. So far I've discovered Lone Wolf and Fighting Fantasy. Which is better? Are there better ones available? Are they kid books? Would adults enjoy them?

Do they have to be read in any particular order? Anybody have some you want to sell?

Sorry I know that these are sort of RPG's but I couldn't find much anywhere else online.

Thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Any gamebook(lone wolf, fighting fantasy) fans out there
I used to read (play?) the Fighting Fantasy books when I was a teen. I remember them being a rather huge step up from the Choose Your Own Adventure books of my childhood. They're more mature than the CYOAs and require a bit more thought and understanding of the game mechanics.

I don't know how well they would hold up today, though.

Chris
...not being helpful, I'm afraid

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Edwards
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read/played a lot of the Lone Wolf books too. And I think there was a sequal series where you play a wizard of some sort. I enjoyed them as a teenager (and I think I still have mine), but I don't know how much I'd enjoy them today. I don't recall the stories being particularly creative or unusual. But I guess if you want something to kill a few hours, why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean like...

http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Home

I also know of another place that has a TON of these old books available, but it's less-than-legal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Eisenhauer
India
New Delhi
Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while since I played one, but I still like the concept. For me the Lone Wolf series is the best. Here are some others:
Silver Star (Mage in the Lone Wolf World)
Sherlock Holmes
Tolkien Quest
Middle Earth Quest
Fire Wolf
Combat Heroes (slightly different system woth 2 books and 2 players)
There are more, but those are the ones I remember off the top of my head. There are a couple of boardgames that use the same system (i.e. West End Games Tales of Arabian Nights). I think there is a geek list about "Paragraph Games" on the geek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the Fighting Fantasy books and have the first 22. But my favorites are Steve Jackson's Sorcery series (no relation to Steve Jackson Games). They are WAY more complex than any other series. There are 4 books only, but if you do them without cheating, they will keep you busy a LONG time. Try ebay to find them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ced1106 wrote:
Hmm... If these are RPGs, you can also try RPG.net, both its reviews and forums.

Good luck!

aka. Washu! ^O^

Thanks, I did try RPG.net but I couldn't find anything. I might be missing something though, and their site isn't the easiest to navigate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
The best series of this type by far is GrailQuest. It's out of print but you can often find books in second hand shops. If you like Fritz Leiber etc you'll probably dig it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GrailQuest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kreisler Buy
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
sbszine wrote:
The best series of this type by far is GrailQuest. It's out of print but you can often find books in second hand shops. If you like Fritz Leiber etc you'll probably dig it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GrailQuest

I seriously concur. I love GrailQuest to the max. Yeah it's out of print , however I was able to download the entire COMPLETE series from this site the last time, can't seem to that now, but nevertheless still a good place because it has links to other resources and other titles which are still free to download:

http://www.the-underdogs.info/gamebook.php

Check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Woo
Scotland
state:
running out of space...
flag msg tools
badge
In the days when two moving bars and a square dot were a "tennis simulation", I thoroughly enjoyed the Lone Wolf, Demonspawn (with a wholly different Lone*Wolf), Tolkien/MiddleEarthQuest and GrailQuest series. Maybe less known, but at least as flavoursome where the two Webs of Intrigue books (modern mystery) and the Crossroads series, which had its stories set in well-known SF & Fantasy Worlds. A whole new way to experience the worlds created by Anne McCaffrey, Piers Anthony, L. Sprague De Camp, Robert Heinlein, Roger Zelazny, and a couple of others. The Webs of Intrigue books stood out to me for its non-fantasy setting, clever "web" mechanic that kept track of clues and time spend, and that the second time I started a mission that I'd flunked the first time, I ended up reading a completely different story line. So much I briefly wondered if it was the same book.

But since Never Winter Nights enabled its fans to create their own modules, a lot of the solobooks (including Lone Wolf, some classic AD&D ones, etc) have been transmogrified into free downloadable NWN modules, and its a way of playing that nowadays appeals to me a lot more. I'm sure that there are other platforms for which this happened, but NWN really clicked with me, and its Lone Wolf modules made me all gooey eyed when I remembered the long nights I spend guiding my Kai Master along the path of the Wolf.

Thanks for the link BTW, been looking for something like it for a while. Appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have quite a lot of the fighting fantasay books. They were great as a teenager, but I haven't really looked at them since. I seem to recall that they were not all of the same caliber, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the Lone Wolf series, Sagard the Barbarian (or something) was featured in a handful of books, and they were pretty cool. I've got good memories of reading those while listening to Van Halen's 1984 ... and not doing my homework.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played/read a lot of "Fighting Fantasy" books, but in the end was put down by some nearly impossible ones. It was annoying when your stats were randomly defined and there was no way around that T-Rex in "Deathtrap Dungeon", for example. However, the theme of the books often diverged from the usual "medieval fantasy", and there was Science-Fiction, horror, super-heroes, a sort of "Mad Max" setting, giant battle robots and so on. There was even a book that felt very "trekkish", but unfortunately a very stupid translator did a lot to spoil it by inverting many references (apparently he couldn't understand that a low number on the die was good in skill tests, and tried to "fix" it).

I didn't like the "Sorcery" series very much, as they spent too many text sections with all those spells. There wasn't much left for the story and I thought it was too short. Besides, the books were more expensive, thus I stopped at the first.

Another series, "Robin Hood", suffered from a similar problem, with too many ramifications. It could end really fast, and worst, you could win without revealing much of the plot (it happened to me once).

"Lone Wolf" was the best series I tried, but it only reached number 4 here in Brazil - which was really a shame, since each story arc had 5 books. Unlike FF, they should be read in order, and a nice thing was that your character could be transported to the following books, with skills and items.

I also tried one book in the AD&D series (published in Portugal), but it was too much like a novel with some decisions, not much of a game. And while "Fighting Fantasy" was more about the game, usually with a very basic storyline, I found that "Lone Wolf" had just the right balance between story and game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the Blood Sword series.
If you get the chance, you should check that out. Among the best book- fighting systems I've found. (There's actually a gameboard for each fight sequence)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because of this thread, I'm going to end up dropping by my parents' place on the weekend to see if I can find my old Fighting Fantasy books. Thanks a lot, Checkallday. This is all your fault. laugh

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kreisler Buy
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
jttm wrote:
I love the Blood Sword series.
If you get the chance, you should check that out. Among the best book- fighting systems I've found. (There's actually a gameboard for each fight sequence)

You can download the entire 5 book series in PDF file (sharp and nice too) from here for free:

http://www.the-underdogs.info/showbook.php?id=26

Seriously guys, this is one hell of a good site. Check it out:

http://www.the-underdogs.info/gamebook.php

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Wark
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Having just moved, I know ezactly what state my collection is in.

Surprised noone has mentioned the CARWARS gamebooks, thought the Grailquest, the Indiana Jones Series and Interplanetary Spy books were among my favourites.

jer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KK Su
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also loved the Way of the Tiger series. You played a ninja in a fantasy/oriental world called Orb. The martial arts movement illustrations in the book were way cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Deverell
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, this post brings back memories. I loved adventure books - far more than RGPs.

I think Fighting Fantasy fell apart after number 19 or so when the original authors handed over the reigns and began "presenting" the series. The best was #3 Forest of Doom and F.E.A.R., the only one in the series about superheroes.

Lone Wolf was a step up as it was far better written and because it was in a story arc, it had an epic quality to it.

I liked Combat Heroes, although it took a long time to work out the system! And it sort of sucks compared to first-person shooters really.

One series not mentioned is Tunnel & Trolls, an RPG adventure book series that you read aloud in a Fighting Fantasy choose-your-options manner, but the characters developed D&D like. I can't remember if you played it solo or not, but we played it two player. There were about five or six adventure books in the series. This was different to the RPG T&T system.

I actually wrote a choose-your-own-adventure for girls called "The Big Day Off" in a series called Choose Your Own Romance. It was published by a boutique publisher and it sort of tanked. But I still get royalty cheques and it was really fun to write!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tunnels & Trolls was primarily made for solo play. They had many solo modules. Some were pretty good like blue frog tavern and city of terrors. They also played quicker than most of the fighting fantasy books. They were good for playing an entire adventure in one sitting instead of over several days with the other gamebooks. They required that you had a copy of the t&t rules though. A lot of the adventures are still available from flying Buffalo.

-Legend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. B.
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dearly loved the Grailquest series as a kid. Had a fair amount of humor and some really interesting concepts like a Dreamtime section you could visit at any point during the adventure (because you went to sleep, duh.) Also, several of the books had bizarre extras, like instructions for building a paper boat. Oh, and you always had to go to the Dreaded Page 14 when you died, which is awesome.

Sigh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clarence Chambers
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I can vouch for the Lone Wolf series, and this thread will probably prompt me to dig my collection out of storage and enjoy them anew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Pitman
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I recently dug out my entire collection and stuck it on my bookshelf; FF 1-17, Sorcery 1-4, Grailquest 1-3 and Lone Wolf 1-2. Sweet!

To echo many other posters I would recommend:

Sorcery - good story and great art. Had dice printed along the bottom of each page for you to "roll" and a neat spell system where you had to memorise what the three letter spells did (like FOF and DUD). Also Steve Jackson normally used tricks to stop you from cheating and trying all possible outcomes in a tricky spot.

Grailquest - Set in Arthurian times. Very tongue in cheek humour.

Way of the Tiger - I dont remember that much about them... but hey, you're a ninja FFS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Brealey
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fan and collector of gamebooks. Started out as a kid with Fighting Fantasy and Lone Wolf, dipping into others here and there along the way. Aside from other recommendations in this thread I can add Fabled Lands, which is a series I only recently came across. There's a wonderful system in place that basically gives you freedom to roam at will, even crossing between different books representing different areas of the world. As a consequence it's quite light on story, most things being self-contained mini quests, but it is immensely fun to play.

Unfortunately the planned series of twelve books never materialised and we were left with only six.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Fighting Fantasy was an obsession for me and I have all 59 stand alone books, the Sorcery series, the 2-Player Clash of the Princes and even the Miscellanious Monsters Compendium and light RPG books.

In fact this was the very first collection of anything I owned and probably triggered the OCD gene in me.

I loved these and highly recommend them but I am a fan obviously and may not be all that objective.

To help raise the interest level as I got older I tried to 'map' each of the books that offered Dungeons or castles etc. Great fun.

Just to prove my 'Geekdom' to the world, I also created a database that logged every single creature you could fight in all of the books and the regularity with which each one appeared. I have since lost that file (it was done back on the C64 system) but from memory the humble Skeleton ranked top. I believe that Orc was not far behind.

For me Trial of Champions ranks as one of the best as I enjoyed the Gladiator Running Man type concept. Some damn hard creatures to fight though. You had to have at least Skill 10+ and a high Stamina to have any chance.

Ah the memories. I'm saving these for my kids and will read them with my 7 year old in the next year or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.