BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Seeking Play Testers

Subject: GAME TURNED MOBILE APP NEEDS TESTERS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shannon Goins
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Hi everyone! My name is Shannon and I'm the marketing director for The2101Game. I've been trying to get some play testers for The2101Game and have had some responses but some things seem to go wrong down the line with either shipping and people not getting their game set (which I have no clue why) or people not giving me the feedback after getting the game. Either way its been counterproductive.

We now have a mobile app out for the game thats currently only on the android platform. Since this is much less work, for both parties, I wanted to know if anyone would be interested in play testing The2101Game through the mobile app. The2101Game is designed for 2-11 players but on the app you can only play with up to 9 players (including yourself). I don't think this will effect the game seeing as though playing with more people is a lot more difficult so you would probably want to start off with one-on-one and work your way up.

The2101Game is a very easy game to play. All you have to do is match or beat the card on the pile. Suits don't matter and you can play multiple cards of the same value at the same time if you want to but you don't have to. 2's are wild and can be played at anytime but start the pile back low so the person after you can play anything they want. 10's are also wild and can be played on anything but they clear the pile and give you an additional play so after you play it you can play another card as well.

I don't want to go into much more detail on how to play because I also want the feedback for how easy it to catch on to without really knowing how to play.

So again, if your interested just go to the play store on any android device and search "2101" and look for the game with the chip logo. And even though you don't have to, could you just let me know through here if you are going to play test to game? Just wanted to get a head count!

Thanks in advance everyone and if you have any questions just let me know!

Shannon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cam P
Australia
Kew
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Shannon,

I searched 2101 on the android play store and couldn't find your app. Could you post a link to the playstore page?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Median54 wrote:
Hi Shannon,

I searched 2101 on the android play store and couldn't find your app. Could you post a link to the playstore page?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ferreusver...

Also, the BGG page:

The2101Game

(Side note - people are really going to have a hard time finding the game with search engines when you combine the whole thing into one word like that - you can't find it using just "2101" you have to search for "The2101Game" exactly for it to come up)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SusieKhalifa wrote:
I don't want to go into much more detail on how to play because I also want the feedback for how easy it to catch on to without really knowing how to play.

Sorry, but it's kind of awful.

Even with your short description, I really have very little idea what I'm supposed to be doing.

There are no instructions with the app either regarding how the game itself is played or how the how the controls work (how to play cards, etc).

I was able to figure out that I apparently have a hand at the bottom of the screen, and that I can drag and drop to the center.

However both players have 3 cards (with 3 chips?) in the center of the table, and I haven't a clue what those are supposed to be for.

What exactly is the goal of the game?
Is it just to be the first to clear my hand?

It looks like once your hand runs out you start pulling from the cards in the center (which I guess is actually 3 face-up cards on top of 3 face-down cards?)?

-------------------------------
(Multiple responses, which I've decided to compile into one):

I appear to have also run into an "endless loop" with the AI player.

Apparently if you can't match or beat the card in the center of the table, you have to take all of the previously played cards into your hand.

So...

I have a 3 and a 4.

I play my 3...
The AI (who has a vary large hand of cards) immediately plays a Q, which I can't beat.
I am forced to take the 3 and the Q into my hand.

The AI unfailingly now plays a 5.

My hand is now 3, 4, Q, so I have no choice but to play the Q I just picked up.

The AI can't beat the Q, so is forced to take the cards into it's hand.

I am now back to having a 3 and a 4.

So:

Quote:
I play my 3...
The AI (who has a vary large hand of cards) immediately plays a Q, which I can't beat.
I am forced to take the 3 and the Q into my hand.

The AI unfailingly now plays a 5.

My hand is now 3, 4, Q, so I have no choice but to play the Q I just picked up.

The AI can't beat the Q, so is forced to take the cards into it's hand.

I am now back to having a 3 and a 4.

Repeat for infinity...
--------------------------------------------------

Ah, and I just bumped up the # of AI players from 1 to 8.

I don't know if there's a better way to do it, but wow, I gotta say the "spinner" action the game uses to switch between the players is making me seriously dizzy.

----------------------------------------------------

OK, now that last game, it dealt all the cards, immediately threw up some weird banner saying "2101!" or something like that, played a chime, and then immediately started the game over.
What the heck was that??

--------------------------------------------------------

Also, apparently you can play more than one of the same card on a turn, but you have to be actively holding down your finger on all the cards you want to play? (For example if I have three "7" cards and want to play all three of them, I have to press on and drag all three cards at the same time).... doesn't work well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Additional thoughts after several plays with a varying number of AI players:

* I'm really lost as to how this can be considered a poker variant. The only similarity it has to poker is that it involves betting. It frankly feels more like "War" with a few extra rules tacked on.

* The game may support up to 11 (or in the case of the app, 9) players, but doing so seems completely pointless. The outcome is 100% random. You might as well be betting on who draws the highest card out of a deck instead of bothering with all of the extra turns.

* The app interface is not self-explanatory or intuitive at all - it took me several plays to figure out what was going on and I've got experience with a fair share of both card games and game apps.
In essence, the app seems to assume you already know how to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Goins
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
thank you so much for your feedback. we are still adding things to app like instructions and trying to make things more self explanatory. here is a link to how to play The2101Game mobile app https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=626422590820929&... please let me know if that clarifies anything.

*although the game seems random, based on the cards in your hand and the cards on your and your opponents face up is how you are suppose to determine if you could win the hand and if you can't you fold but the best cards don't always win if you can learn how to munipulate the cards around the table. sometimes it's not always about playing the next highest card because you'll eventually know what's in your opponent(s) hand which can allow you to make players do what you want.

*the A.I. has basic knowledge of game. it doesn't play with any strategy which is a very big part of The2101Game but that is the reason you were playing in a never ending loop with the A.I. which will only happen when you play one-on-one. remembering where the cards are is a big part of the game because then you are better at predicting what can or will happen next.

*Playing with 8 players is a lot especially if you try to jump from 1 or 2 players to 8. it's better to try to go up 1 or 2 A.I's at a time just to adjust to it. that may help with spinning seeming like too much.

Please let me know if you have any additional thoughts about The2101Game mobile app! Your feedback was very helpful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.