Orléans» Forums » Variants

Subject: 5 and 6 Player Variants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rick goodman

Cambridge
Massachusetts
msg tools
I am interested in adding a 5th and 6th player to the game. I understand the 5 player variant is in the works from DLP. But, in the mean time, I purchased two copies of the game directly from DLP in Germany. BTW the game cost $69.00 USD each. And, that included shipping -- a fair deal when you compare that to Funagains $99 price. And, it took less than 3 weeks to arrive. I recommend y'all buy it!

Anyway, I am planning to combine components to create a 5th and 6th player option. Given that, I'd like to hear from you as to what rule changes would be needed to accommodate more players.

Here are some of my thoughts:

(1) Buildings - Adding a complete set of extra buildings will probably work fine. Yes?

(2) Resources - I will add some additional resources based on the 3 to 4 player scale-ability changes already outlined in the rules. Thats easy. But, some resources will need to be placed onto the "map" somewhere, somehow.

(3) Citizens - I will increase the number of citizens. But, I am not sure how to introduce these into the game. One idea would be to award 1/2 citizen to any player who reaches a citizen space that has already been claimed by another 'front runner' player. For example, on the Knight track, the first player to reach the citizen claims it, as normal. But, then, every other player who reaches the same location, would claim 1/2 a citizen. I am not sure it this will work, but, it scales nicely.

(4) Trading Houses - Allow two houses to be constructed in each town?

(5) Good deeds - When any one of these is filled, clear it, and allow it to be refilled from scratch. Any player who fills it a second time is awarded the 1/2 citizen.

What else?

Those of you who have played more than I, would have a better understanding for any all required changes to make this experiment work So, I'd love to hear from you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mb
Your map resources will be the tricky bit, trying to ensure that they are distributed evenly.

The other problem will be that with two sets of resources, shops like the Tailor, which collect a brocade each use, may suddenly have that many extra resources available for collection. Those resource collection buildings may all of a sudden become really lucrative (or much less if you have two of each building...)

Good luck with the expansion, and let us know how it works out for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) With multiple copies of buildings it will lose some tension. Can I suggest instead that you shuffle them up and deal out a certain amount. That way there will be less than 2 copies of some of them, perhaps even 0.

2) I'd add one resource to each route that only has one on at the moment.

3) I'd keep the citizens as they are, but you could give out a citizen to the person who has the most cheese and grain and wine etc.

4) Seems reasonable

5) Probably overkill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Williams
United Kingdom
Penkridge
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In order to add more citizens why not use the second good deeds board (from your other copy) and add citizens to some of the spaces on that board. You would need to work out how many based on the number of players. You would also want to say that players can only place tiles on spots with a citizen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Tepfer
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Did you ever try a 6 player variant? If so, what did you learn, find out, would do differently next time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.