8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Teen board game group ideas/suggestions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm a librarian in a small community library. I've been considering ideas for activities to involve teens in the area and of course I thought about board gaming. I was wondering if anyone else has done something similiar with a small group of teens. And if so, if anyone has suggestions for games. I don't have many 'party games' at the moment besides Apples to Apples but I'm hoping to get some more. I want to break out of the mold of 'Walmart or Target games' and try something a little more 'Euro' without getting too complex. Maybe I can try splitting the group to play multiple games at once. I don't expect much attendance at first, so games that support up to 6 or 8 players might work too. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I run a game club at the high school where I teach. We are in our 3rd year of existence. 1st year, we averaged 4 kids/week. Last year - 11. This year - 10 so far, but higher than last year's average at this point.

The most popular games for us are:

Lord of the Rings: Confrontation
Blokus
For Sale
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Ra
Runebound
Risk 2210
Bang
Lord of the Rings (Knizia)
Shadows Over Camelot
Guillotine
Jungle Speed

To a lesser extent:
Settlers of Catan
Citadels
Ingenious

The gamer-type kids in my town are very much RPG-lovers. I think that explains the high number of "adventure" type games in the above list as opposed to Euro-games. Try as I might, Carc, TtR, Princes of Florence, and Power Grid have not been big hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Agatha's letzter Wille" all the way!
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1899
I played a new game at the Süddeutsche Spielemesse that's called "Heckmeck". It's easy to learn and a fast play.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/15818
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I also have a game club at the high school where I teach. It is our second year of existence. In general Eurogames are not popular. Nor are overly long games (there are a few exceptions).

Questions:
1. How long does your group meet? One hour, two hours, more?
2. How much noise can they make?
3. How concerned are you about "politically correct" games?

In our club the following games have been tried (not in any particular order):

1. Bang probably the most played game.
2. Blokus is popular
3. Bohnanza was hard to learn at first but popular. The hyperactives have trouble not rearranging the cards.
4. Shadows over Camelot: popular at first. Less so now.
5. Pitch car : Popular once in a while.
6. Guillotine: Popular at the moment
7. El Grande: not popular
8. Formula dé: not popular
9. Werewolf: Very popular but need minimum 8 players plus a moderator.
10. memoir 44: popular
11. Command and colors ancients: not popular. it is a little more complicated and doesn't have the plastic soldiers.
12. Twilight Imperium: long complicated game but popular. No other game captivated the attention of the kids like this one. The sparkle attracts them like flies. The game stays set up at the back of the class and other kids drool.
13. Royal turf : medium popular. I like it and can usually convince a few kids to play.
14. Puerto RIco: only popular with the intellectuals.
15. Chess: very popular
16. Mao: Played with a deck of cards. Very popular.
17. Saboteur: POpular
18. shocking roulette: All the kids want to show this game to their friends when they visit the club (and they try to get their mothers to play when the mothers come to pick them up.)
19 A game of thrones: medium popular.
20. Diplomacy: I was surprised , but this was very popular.
21. Twilight struggle: I was surprised but this one was popular also.
22. Valley of the mammoths: medium popular.
23. Kremlin: not popular.
24. Carcassone: not popular.
25. TIcket to ride Europe: not popular
26. Streetcar: medium popular.
27. Railroad tycoon: medium popular
28. transamerica: ppopular and quick
29. Hey that's my fish: easy to explain and fast: medium popular
30. Intrige: Popular but not too often since it is such an evil game.
31. Yinsh: not popular
32. Tamsk: medium popular
33. Abalone: not popular
34. Settlers of catan: not popular
35. Villa Paletti: Very popular. You need a steady table.
36. Cash and guns: popular but not politically correct.
37. Igloo pop: medium popular

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "werewolf" games are fun in large crowds, in case you get some large groups. (Are you a Werewolf, Werewolves of Miller's Hollow, Lupus in Tabula)

I'd carry some easy to teach abstracts like Abalone, Blokus, Othello, etc., and definitely Scrabble or Upwords since some people really like word games.

You might also pick up a Sudoku board game since that's popular right now and the board games are more fun than constantly writing numbers and erasing them from boxes.

Dexterity games like Villa Paletti or Elkfest can be fun, too, and scale well with a variety of ages.

Since you're dealing with teenagers who may or may not be really careful with your games, I'd try to pick things without a million components since they're likely to get dropped and left on the floor. I'd also recommend buying bags of 3"x4" or 4"x5" plastic bags to store the components and require that students put the game parts back in the right bags before they turn them in. These are cheap and you can buy 100 bags in a pack for a few dollars at any large craft store (look in the jewelry making section).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katherine Tsiatas
msg tools
mb
Bang! is definetly a hit. Though I did get in trouble for bringing to study hall. My friends (high schoolers) have liked

Bang!
Settlers of Catan
Ticket To Ride
Killer Bunnies
Citedels
Carcassonne and Alhambra for some people

Did I say Killer Bunnies?
As much as you may not like it, all my friends love it. To the point that it started some of my freinds into card games and board games. There more likely to try a game now that isn't Life or Checkers.

I'll see if I can think of any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have three teenage nephews, regular people --mostly have played Monopoly and Chess-- and have been trying to get them interested in games. So far, the greatest hit has been Clash of the Gladiators, closely followed by Nexus Ops. They're both short, very fun games that seem to go over well with youngsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the above comments are very good.

I think Arkham Horror would grab a lot of teens' attentions, with its dark theme (yet done in what I consider a "family friendly" way -- in other words, it's not dripping with gore or devil worshipping, etc.) and lots of cool bits and cards. But of course the downside is that it DOES have all those bits and cards. Losing stuff from the game might be an issue, as well as the long playing time might be a deal-breaker for you.

Similarly, Fury of Dracula might be good. Still has a theme interesting to teens but has fewer bits and a shorter playing time.

Then going 180 degrees in the opposite direction, there's Ninja Galaxy. Some people like it, some don't. However, even its detractors tend to talk about how fun their teen (and tween) children enjoy playing it. I noticed that a lot of Essen reports mentioned in passing the full tables of people playing Ninja Galaxy and how everyone seemed to enjoy it. It's bright and attractive, it has very sturdy components, the rules are easy to learn, and it plays in 45 minutes, give or take.

There are lots of available choices. I mention these 3 because I didn't notice them listed above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.