Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Altoona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Key features are provided after each listing.

Standard rules (from base game)
* Use only three heroes.
* Reduced Villain deck.
* After Scheme Twist, KO hero in HQ.

Advanced Solo rules (from Dark City)
* Use only three heroes.
* Reduced Villain deck.
* After Scheme Twist, put hero from HQ on bottom of hero deck.
* After Master Strike, play another villain card.
* "Each other player" applies to current player.

Variant Review's Golden Solo Ruleset
* Use 3/5 heroes for short/standard game.
* Villain deck is based on 2-player rules
* Draw two villain cards per turn.
* Cycle HQ in similar manner as the City.
* Campaign options

Poll
What is your preferred solo ruleset?
Standard rules
Advanced solo rules (from Dark City)
Variant Review's Golden Solo Ruleset
      55 answers
Poll created by LetsGetTrivial

For discussion: Why did you pick that ruleset?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M
msg tools
I voted for the Variant Review's rules because I feel like the more heroes and villains the merrier. Before I came across these rules, I was playing as two players, which got confusing and complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I chose Advanced solo rules because, well, it just works.

I don't find there to be anything wrong with it; the smaller villain deck puts pressure on me to finish the game as best as possible before it runs out, less heroes makes sense for single player. It works and I have no reason to want to change anything about it.

I have tried the variant but I just didn't find that it was necessarily any better, just different. I don't really think there's much point in me regularly playing the variant if I don't feel the changes vastly improve the game. So Advanced Solo rules are the ones for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacques Bouchet
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I choose Variant, because I find it much more entertaining : I mean I feel it's more chaotic, stressfull and harder. And, mainly, to be honest, I love to have a pool of 5 heroes instead of 3.

My apologies for for the not-so-good english.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I definitely prefer the variant rules for the villain deck (larger deck, draw 2 per turn). The city seems to be no threat at all in the official rules, feels like you just race to build a hand that can beat the mastermind before the twists all hit. I almost always win, and the game becomes a push your luck based on waiting for more villains to score easy VPs from, but hoping I don't arbitrarily lose to the final twist.

In the variant the villains become much more relevant, for a decent score you need to win before they overwhelm the city.

Three or five heroes both work fine, and I don't find much to choose between them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always play with the golden solo rules (five heroes). I've never tried the dark city advanced solo version. I found the golden solo rules after being initially put-off by how few cards were included in a game with the solo rules. With so much choice, I just felt a bit uninspired by the prospect of three heroes facing off against one villain set and a handful of henchmen. I also wanted to be able to play all the schemes, but I think the more-cards-in-a-game point is the main reason I've not gone back. I guess I think that makes it slightly more about strategy too, and slightly less about luck, but I'm sure others will have differing opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
I guess I think that makes it slightly more about strategy too, and slightly less about luck, but I'm sure others will have differing opinions.

It seems just the opposite to me. With three heroes, I think you're more likely to be able to recruit the cards your strategy needs to be effective. With five heroes, recruiting becomes more tactical, less strategic. But maybe that's just me!

FWIW, putting this poll in the Variants forum introduces a selection effect that will skew the results of the poll. People who are more likely to play with the variant solo rules are more likely to be subscribed to the Variants forum. People who only play with the official rules are less likely to be subscribed to the Variants forum. That said, putting the poll in the General forum would skew the poll results in the opposite fashion, so there's no good solution, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I meant more about the number of cards in the villain deck. When about half of the available cards are masterstrikes/scheme-twists, it seems to me like it would be easier to just get nailed by drawing a cluster of them one after the other, without being able to do much about it.

Though if I start doing the math I'm not sure I'm actually right about that, and even if I am I suppose you could also argue that makes it more strategic, in that you have to get an engine going fast before that happens.

Each to their own. I may yet try the dark city solo rules.

It's like ordering Chinese food. You can get what you always get, and you know you'll like it, or can branch out and try something new, but you might not like it. If you don't order Chinese food frequently, you might not want to gamble. Time to play Marvel Legendary can be as rare and precious as a Chinese takeaway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I don't think the composition of the Villain deck really affects my strategy much at all, except for determining how much I'm going to push my luck to increase my VPs versus drawing Scheme Twists. And that's more of a tactical thing. Obviously, there are certain high VP Villains that I'm going to be shooting for, if I know they are present in the Villain deck, but that's not the meat of the strategy in Legendary.

Before I start a game, I look at the available heroes and try to determine which heroes' cards synergize with each other. And from that, I determine a strategy as to which cards to recruit. The more heroes in the Heroes deck, the less you can plan on recruiting specific cards in order to employ your strategy. With more heroes, you need to adapt to what's available and change deck strategies as needed. YMMV, but that's how I play. The strategy in any deck-building game is mainly comprised of which cards are you going to add to your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
Before I start a game, I look at the available heroes and try to determine which heroes' cards synergize with each other. And from that, I determine a strategy as to which cards to recruit. The more heroes in the Heroes deck, the less you can plan on recruiting specific cards in order to employ your strategy. With more heroes, you need to adapt to what's available and change deck strategies as needed. YMMV, but that's how I play. The strategy in any deck-building game is mainly comprised of which cards are you going to add to your deck.

Yeah, I think I do the same thing, but I guess I like the point about needing to adapt to what's available. A good strategy should allow you to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
Yeah, I think I do the same thing, but I guess I like the point about needing to adapt to what's available. A good strategy should allow you to do that.

I don't see that as a strategy. I see that as the game supporting multiple strategies. "Choosing from what is available" is the definition of "tactical".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.