BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 2~4 players co-op game: Eldritch Horror vs ??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
Hi everyone!

Well, I'm considering buying a co-op game that playes well with 2 players as well with 4. I want some with more meat, more stuff happening, etc.

I'm not a big fan of Pandemic (selling) and Forbidden Desert (sold), because even though they can get really hard, I just don't get the fun solving the puzzles and having little to do.

So I'm considering Eldritch Horror and some said that the game is easy with 2... is that true? because I guess I will mainly play with 2 or 3 (4 occasionally). And the expansion Forsaken Lore, is that necessary to get along with the game or the game holds its own for some time?

Any other suggestions? Does Dead of Winter have a 2-player variant? Will Ghost Stories scratch that itch? I'm on an ameritrash side on this one.

I kinda ruled out Mage Knight Board Game (too much), Arkham Horror (too much either) and Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island (too Euro)

Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zander Galluppi
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't yet played a full game of Eldritch Horror, so I'll let someone else speak to it, but:

Of the games you mentioned, Ghost Stories sounds like it'll be a winner. It's simple, but unforgivingly tough, and it definitely doesn't feel like a Euro game.

Two others great co-ops that don't play like a puzzle or a Euro would be the Dungeons and Dragons board games and The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Mage Knight is too much: Legends of Andor may be worth a view - we liked it.
It may be a bit euro-ish, too, there are some abstract rules and you can't just run around and slaughter everything evil. But other than Robinson (which is more like a co-op workerplacement game than roleplaying) you do move a little hero around and have a classic fantasy theme. Due to Menzel's beautiful but somehow childish illustrations it looks a bit 'family-friendly', but it definitly needs a bit of thinking and not too unlucky dicing to win. 2-4 players is all okay (2 players could either use 1 or 2 heros each, as you like).

Betrayal at the house on the hill
would be a semi-cooperative (co-op until one player turns evil), horror-themed game which is more on the narrative side and less complex than the 'xy Horror'-games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island looks Euro on the surface, it is actually one of the most 'role-playing' board games I've ever played.

There's a huge number of event cards and as well as the text it's the mechanics that make it such a narrative game - you get an infected wound and the card gets shuffled into the event deck...you know it's only a matter of time before you suffer the consequences.

But in some ways it's the joining-the-dots that the players do that make for the most interesting stories: How on earth did you manage to injure yourself while making a snare? What did you say during your 'inspirational speech' that raised everyone's morale? Why, oh why, did we bother rescuing Jenny?

Robinson is the best new game I've played in the last few years...it's an amazing experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror is probably my favourite co-op to play 2-player (although it plays best with 4). As for difficulty, you can seed the mythos (Great Old One event) deck with different difficulties of cards as you see fit, to ramp up or lower the difficulty to your liking. It's highly recommended, especially with the first expansion Forsaken Lore to add to the encounter card stacks.

Other co-operative games we enjoy two player are:

Freedom: The Underground Railroad: A very tricky game, still not beaten this yet.
Pandemic: The Cure: A much faster-paced, more enjoyable Pandemic. You can't control the chaos!
Escape: The Curse of the Temple: Highly-entertaining real-time game, for when we're in the mood for something loud and raucous.
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases: A murder-mystery where you try to out-do Sherlock Holmes. Plays great at lower player counts.

And of course, Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game. For the two-player variant, you play this on co-op mode only, at the hardest difficulty, with an extra starting character each. It's a much different game to the full game, and actually helps keep it fresh... sometimes you're playing full co-op, other times... you might not be! Definitely worth a look, but only if you'll occasionally be able to get 4-5 player play out of it too, otherwise there are better co-operative games out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kaiser
Germany
flag msg tools
DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA
badge
DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA
mbmbmbmbmb
Just throwing some names in...

Mice and Mystics
Gears of War: The Board Game
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthVandelay wrote:
So I'm considering Eldritch Horror and some said that the game is easy with 2... is that true? because I guess I will mainly play with 2 or 3 (4 occasionally). And the expansion Forsaken Lore, is that necessary to get along with the game or the game holds its own for some time?

It can absolutely played with just 2 players, but both players should control 2 investigators each (=4 total).

The game is by all means not easy. People who say otherwise are either not playing correctly by the rules or are playing with loaded dice. Or they probably offered their souls to some Ancient Old One for lucky rolls.
Anyway, there are indeed optional adjustments for making the game easier by sorting out certain cards from the mythos deck, but doing so consciously and then calling the game "easy" is just silly.

You won't need the expansion for about 5-10 games max, and by then only because the encounter card decks (especially for the general encounters) are pretty thin and you very likely have seen them more than once by then.
The expansion fixes this by just adding stuff to existing components/decks (even to the unique Ancient Old Ones of the base game, which is fantastic), effectively adding variety without adding too much new content and rules - which is fine by me, considering the small box and small price of Forsaken Lore.

The base game comes with 4 Ancient Old Ones and 12 investigators. Assuming that you beat every Ancient Old One one your very first try (which is very unlikely, especially as you are just learning the game) you would still be busy for quite some time with each game going for 2-4 hours.

So again, I would probably buy the expansion if you feel positively sure that you will like the game, as it is a mini expansion and thus costs not too much -- but I would definitely not add the extra content and just learn the basic game step by step, which is easier to do if there is less variance.

I would recommend both Eldritch Horror and Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island. For an in-depth comparison, click ►here.

Good luck and have fun !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
Turn the right corner in Sin City...
badge
...and you can find anything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Some very good points were given already...but I do have to say something as well.

Right now I have Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game lying unplayed on the shelf so I can't say anything about it but the ones that I can talk about might be enough, I think.

You said you want more stuff happening than in Pandemic but less than in MageKnight or Arkham Horror.

Therefore I would recommend:

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island because it is definetly not the euro you think it is. Due to the great amount of cards you eventually will have to take the game is oozing of theme. Two friends of mine really play it like a RPG... You have so many decisions to make, not only "Who is going to eat tonight and who is going to take wounds from starving?" but also from the cards "Take a really helpful thing x and shuffle the card (that really will hurt you when it shows up) into the pile of upcoming events or discard the card"
Also it is difficult like not many other games...

Eldritch Horror (like Arkham but more streamlined and not "so much" but more and with a way better theme than Elder Sign)

Ghost Stories and Atlantis Rising for being hard as hell. These two are really great games but they beat you down in the moment you consider playing them (these two are on the same difficulty as Robinson Crusoe)

Red November is more simple and not as challenging as the above but it offers more "stuff happening" than Castle Panic (wich is a puzzle like Pandemic)
Speaking of puzzles: Zombicide is also more on the puzzle-side...

You might as well try Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game. It feels different than the others but is definetly worth mentioning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a much closer look at Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island (watch reviews and session videos to get a better idea).

I wouldn't rule it out because it looks euro-ish on the surface.

It's one of the best cooperative games on the market for sure!

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
I wouldn't rule it out because it looks euro-ish on the surface.

It's a true hybrid in my book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Lynch
Canada
Canning
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dead of Winter and Eldritch are both excellent choices and yes DoW does have a good two player variant. I wouldn't rule out Robinson either it is a great coop that always tells a story... I would however rank Eldritch and DoW slightly ahead of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
Sorry for the being late!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, it helped A LOT! I decided to buy Eldritch Horror for now, since it offers more playing time but not overwhelming with rules... but if the group comes to dig longer co-op games, Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is on deck already!

Thanks again everyone! Cheers from Brazil!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthVandelay wrote:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, it helped A LOT! I decided to buy Eldritch Horror for now, since it offers more playing time but not overwhelming with rules... but if the group comes to dig longer co-op games, Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is on deck already!

That's a wise move, have fun !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Kyur wrote:
DarthVandelay wrote:

That's a wise move, have fun !

Most definitely, you'll have many hours of fun with Eldritch Horror. We played it again at the weekend after a short break, and finally beat Yog-Sothoth! Such a great experience, every game of EH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meunier
United States
Woodstock
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't call Eldritch Horror easy. It's just a small notch below Arkham Horror in complexity, and about equal in difficulty. I find EH to be a better designed game (less micro-managing) with a theme that's integrated much better.

The Pathfinder card game is a really good co-op. I've played it solo and with one other player but it's supposed to scale up well to 4. That game sort of depends on its campaign system, though. That may appeal to you if you don't mind continuing the saga and developing your characters over time. But otoh you don't want to sit down and start a new game of Pathfinder each weekend. It will get old fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson Crusoe isn't a euro...it isn't pure Ameritrash, but I'd actually say its more Ameritrash than euro. Sometimes, given how the deck is stacked, its just not possible to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.