11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Searching the perfect game (Help!) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Doderlin
msg tools
Hi!

Can you help me to search my still unknow favourite game?

I would like a game with the next specifications:

1) Strategic. Maybe with a bit of luck, but I would like a game where the winner it's the one who did it better, not necessarily always but most of the times.

2) High or at least medium interaction between players.

3) average weight medium... I don't know... between 2.5 and 3.8?

4) playing time not much more than two hours.

I would like to find a business game and a "war" game... ooh, genre doesn't matter, whatever you think will be fine.

Is it possible something like this?

Thank you in advance to all of you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple questions: Any language requirements? Is English okay or would it be better in another lang? Also, what games have you already played and enjoy?

First off the top of my head were Acquire and Antike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*waves hand in an Obi-Wan style*

Clearly Antike is the game you're looking for...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The forthcoming "Shogun" (aka "Wallenstein" re-themed), is a business/resource management & planning game, in a wargame disquise. It sounds perfect for your criteria. Your first couple of games will probably be longer than 2 hours, though, but after that 2 hours should be attainable. Wallenstein is a beautiful game. Shogun looks even prettier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Pulles
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new ' Imperial' from Eggert-Spiel/Rio Grande Games has been getting some good reviews... and it includes economics + conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Torres--played with all cards in hand, there's no luck. Very tactical game.
Through the Desert--no luck. An easy game to learn but some tough decisions to make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Generally the games with the best levels of interaction are those with negotiations/trading/auctions.

It's often hard to find "perfect games" that fit every criteria you are after. Most often it will take a couple games to cover all the criteria you are looking for but there are some games that may come close.

If you are looking to find a war/business game that plays in about 2 hours with high interaction... then as others have suggested the new game Imperial sounds like an almost perfect choice. The caveat is though that it's still very new so it's a bit early to give it as an outright recommendation as very few people have even seen the game... let alone played it.

Shogun/Wallenstein is also a decent choice. I have played and am very familiar with Wallenstein and have read that Shogun is generally the same game with just a few rule tweaks so I can fairly assuredly say that both have some elements of an economic game and a war game but they are actually truly "Euro games". They won't really feel like wargames or business games but rather quite a mix of several different elements (which is what many Euros are). Wallenstein is one of my personal favourite games so I'd certainly recommend it but at the same time I'd warn that you may not really get a game that fits well into your idea of a "favourite game".

If you have never tried Settlers of Catan I'd definitely try that game out. It's very interactive and plays quickly. It's neither strictly business game (well in a very loose sense it is as you trade resources) or a wargame but it is very fun. The Knights and Cities Expansion for Settlers of Catan makes it even more strategic and full of conflict (but much longer playing as well). I'd certainly start with just the base game.

There also exists a collectable card game called 'Allegiance: War of Factions'... which I have read a lot about and those that play it say it's very good. It has just about everything under the sun in it in terms of negotiations, trading , conflict and many other interesting ideas. I haven't played it myself and only mention it as somewhat of a wildcard pick as I don't know what kind of games you might like. It's certainly a game that sounds interesting and it wouldn't hurt to take a look at it to see if it interests you.

It's best if you read several reviews and comments here on BGG as many of these will be hit or miss with many groups. As with most games there is no way to truly know if you will like them until you've played them.

Some other games you may find interesting (but that aren't wargames):

Santiago - negotiations and auctions... high interaction in this game and it fits well in the moderate complexity category.

Edel, Stein & Reich - another interesting business themed game with some negotiating in the mix. Midweight game which plays pretty quickly.

Oltremare - Merchants of Venice - a decent shipping/business themed game with trading and negotiations which has a good level of interaction among players.

There are other good economic games as others have mentioned... Acquire, Tycoon, Power Grid etc but there are really no war game elements involved in these either. They are excellent games though and certainly worth trying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor McNish
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Liberté might be the go. Political theme, rather than business or war, but it's pretty confrontational. Good fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doderlin
msg tools
Hi again! Thak you very much to all of you!!

I meant 1 "war" game and 1 business, sorry, it's my fault. Anyway the two genres together are certainly appealing. But forget genres, I want hear you.

Well, let's see:

J. Green: English is fine, althogh you've seen what kind of english is mine...

Before write this thread I've been searching the enormous BGG database, reading reviews, sessions, opinions, forums... Actually I spent such too many hours in this page that has become almost my house. It's sickly addictive!! I'm scared!! But before I take my decission I would hear the enriching geek voices

Darren M, I've order a couple of days Santiago, and Oltre Mare is too in the top of my wishlist. Do you think they match the criterias?

Mark Crocker, I've been paying special attention to Shogun. The winner is it the one who did it better most of the times?

Antike, Imperial... Thank you very much for the recommendations, Luke Morris, Jim Pulles, Mary Weisbeck and Gregor McNish. You can bet that now I'm reading all the information I can find of the games you proposed.

Thanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
For how many players? For a wargame for two players, I submit Bonaparte at Marengo as fitting your specs beautifully. Clash for a Continent also fits the bill; it's somewhat similar to the Commands and Colors games, but with no cards.

For a multiplayer wargame... that's a tougher one. I've finished games of A Game of Thrones in 2.5 hours, but they're likely to go beyond that, certainly at first. Friedrich is a great game, but it's likely too long and, with the Fate cards, likely too luck-intensive for you.

As far as business game, how serious a simulation do you mean? Power Grid is perhaps my favorite euro, and may fit the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berry van der rijk
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
I really think Skyline of the World should do it for you and I will explain why...

1) It is a strategic game since you really have to think in advance what you are going to build in the next round. At the end of a turn you should invest in levels (or floors) which you can build in the next turn.

2) There is a medium interaction between players since you have to build you floors on top of other players floors and have to pay the costs to the player on which you have build your own floor.

3) I do not know the exact weight medium, but it should be around 3.

4) The playing time is around 1 - 1,5 hours with three or four players. It can also be played with 2 players as well.

This is clearly a business game and not a war game.
I do not know where you live, but the game is created in The Netherlands and the game itself is language independent and the english translation can be downloaded from the website of the publisher.

I know it is my favourite game at the moment...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.