Popular Tags: [View All]
Ludobits
Canada
Quebec city
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd just like to confirm that the shaded NATO Momentum trumps the unshaded ISR capability, and that therefore the Coalition can't perform a Sweep operation in a province where it has no piece.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see a conflict between the two.

Unshaded ISR says, "Each Coalition Sweep op, Coalition may Activate another 3 Guerrillas in any 1 space."

Shaded NATO says, "Until Propaganda, Coalition Ops/ Air Lift/ Surge only where already Coalition."

So Coalition could continue to do Sweeps in places where it was permitted to (that is, Coalition pieces already present) and activate Guerrillas in other spaces, whether Coalition pieces were there or not.
ISR is an increase in Coalition reconnaissance ability, not operational mobility, so "any 1 space" does not mean "any 1 space where the Coalition is permitted to operate".

If you disagree and can't resolve this with your playmates, then go by rule 5.1.2 where the currently played Event takes precedence.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Owens
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To further support what Brian says, the text of both the capability and the momentum, read literally, would allow Coalition to conduct a Sweep op in a space where already present (thus satisfying NATO), and then Activate another 3 Guerrillas in any 1 space, even where not present (thus satisfying ISR).

Note that ISR says "Activate...in any 1 space", not "additional Sweep in any 1 space".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludobits
Canada
Quebec city
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Of course, makes perfect sense. Since ISR is always used with Sweep, I guess I got them mixed-up. But you're right, the capability is distinct from the operation, and therefore a sweep where Coalition is present enables ISR without it being subjected to the restrictions of shaded NATO.

Now many thanks for clearing that up, gentlemen. Your contribution to the liberation of Konduz will be remembered. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.