Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules overview? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
Is there a rules overview somewhere? or an explanation of the rules?

For example, what does it mean to mean to follow a lead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikey Moose
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are quite concise as they are, I think.

Following a lead means deciding on a location to go to next, and then reading that location's text from the case book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Neale
United Kingdom
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"The game is afoot!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Following a lead means visiting one location - i.e. deciding to visit somewhere and looking up that entry in the case booklet.

The rules are very simple - you read the case story, then look at the newspapers and map and list of allies and decide where to go. You look that place up in the directory and turn to the corresponding reference in the case book and read it (this action is sometimes referred to as 'following a lead'). Repeat the process, keeping a record of the number of places you visit, until you think you've solved the crime, at which point (or any point after that) you turn to the Questions section and answer as many questions as you can. Check your answers and number of leads and compare your score to Holmes.

Do you want an overview because you don't know the game at all or because you want to check specific details?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
I have the game and tried playing the first case, but was a bit confused about some stuff, mostly what it meant to visit places and following a lead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
I have the game and tried playing the first case, but was a bit confused about some stuff, mostly what it meant to visit places and following a lead.

I know what you mean. If you have to visit three places to find out (and corroborate) a single piece of information, is that following one lead or three? It doesn't bother us, because we're just happy if we solve the mysteries - we don't try to beat Holmes. However, what we do is class those multiple visits as one lead. It's a bit vague sometimes, but the answers also give you free visits (places that don't count as one of your five a day).

(The 'five a day' joke might not be applicable in every country).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.