Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Massimo Paini
Italy
Romanengo
Cremona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game do you think works well only played in two?
Auctions, trade routes, negotiations and voting can be a problem, or the game is still valid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that there are many other games out there that are much better for 2p. The auction works differently with 2 than with 3 or 4 and by differently, I mean worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimo Paini
Italy
Romanengo
Cremona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I quickly read the Regulation but I did not understand one thing: if you play in two trade routes and allied generic not used ?! It seems strange but I will surely have misunderstood or missed something because otherwise would miss a large part of the game and would not even be possible to make wars.
You can clarify this? Thank You.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Martin
United States
Lacey
WA
flag msg tools
Check out my Hollenguard book series on Amazon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not that trade routes are not used, it's just that you do not start with one like you do in three- and four-player games.

As to the two-player experience, it isn't where the game truly shines. The two-player auction isn't very interesting and voting on Prosperity cards at the end of each era is pretty lame as well. If you love the patching and civ-building you'll get some great fun out of it, but I wouldn't recommend this game if you'll only ever play it two player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimo Paini
Italy
Romanengo
Cremona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fnar wrote:
It's not that trade routes are not used, it's just that you do not start with one like you do in three- and four-player games.

As to the two-player experience, it isn't where the game truly shines. The two-player auction isn't very interesting and voting on Prosperity cards at the end of each era is pretty lame as well. If you love the patching and civ-building you'll get some great fun out of it, but I wouldn't recommend this game if you'll only ever play it two player.

Thank you, you have been very clear.
So even willing mechanics of patching say you played in two loses much?
We play a lot more often in two and sometimes it happens that the group is being extended to four, but I would not take a game that then I can only take advantage when you are sitting at the table in many: I wanted a game that would go well in two and that if necessary I could also play it in four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The patching mechanic is still the same, but a lot of the fun for me is the auction, for which you really need at least 3p. Personally, I don't know if I'd want to play this with 4 either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimo Paini
Italy
Romanengo
Cremona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone else has tested this game in two? Other opinions? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
As my fellow geeks already stated, the auction looses its main gist with only two. But I found the game nevertheless really good and it plays faster with less players. And the patching is fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W

South Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmb
I didn't think the game was that bad with two players, but yeah, the auction is different with two players. There were times where we would overspend thinking that the other person was going for the same tile, only to find out that they weren't, but it made for a good laugh from time to time also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sham
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
That's exactly what a Cylon would say!
badge
All is dust...
mbmbmbmbmb
Gopherfan wrote:
I didn't think the game was that bad with two players, but yeah, the auction is different with two players. There were times where we would overspend thinking that the other person was going for the same tile, only to find out that they weren't, but it made for a good laugh from time to time also.

I just tried the game with 2 and had a blast.

The game is different with 2. Primarily, since auctions are actually one-shot heads up battles of wit, I found them more tense. You only get one shot at the tile, so if you don't value it enough, the opponent gets it. Let's just say we were bankrupt most of the game.

Prosperity cards were different as well -- it ends up being one person's specialization. They have all the wonders/people that help them gain votes? They'll probably rock the Prosperity Cards... so just focus on war, honor, culture production etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
I think that there are many other games out there that are much better for 2p. The auction works differently with 2 than with 3 or 4 and by differently, I mean worse.

Diasagree, this is a great game with two. Everything scales fine and the bidding works as well as the other elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LSD - this is one where we will have to agree to disagree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
LSD - this is one where we will have to agree to disagree.

I strictly play games with two and have become an authority on the subject. There is nothing mechanically wrong with this game with two. Everything is mechanically sound
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.