1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Campaign Manual Expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only real campaign expansion would be a new manual full of missions with a few new tiles. Anyone heard of a rumor that this might happen? Otherwise after playing through the campaign twice, we are pretty much ready to sell it and move on. Replaying this game is suffering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've played an entire campaign twice you've already gotten a lot out of the game. Have you tried skirmish? That is where the game retains utility after you have completed the campaign.

The Descent 2.0 large expansions each had their own campaign book. I wouldn't expect IA to be any different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see the campaign game getting new life in two ways.

Small expansions that add more side missions, rewards, allies, agenda sets, etc. can change the side mission deck significantly altering the flow and experience of the core campaign.

Large expansions with new campaigns. Obviously if there's an expansion with a whole new set of Story Mission cards then the campaign game changes completely. And I'd expect to see new heroes, class cards, etc. in such expansions.

I'd expect both these things to happen though I've only seen announcements from FFG about small expansions so far, and they've been delayed due to shipping issues.

If you enjoyed the game but are done with the campaign for now, I'd suggest just shelving it until the enough expansion material is available to make it seem worthwhile to pull out again.

Maybe when FFG announces an expansion you're interested in it will be time to pull it out again and replay the existing campaign after an interlude so you can prepare for the expansion's arrival?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Hey!
mbmbmbmbmb
rcstook wrote:
The only real campaign expansion would be a new manual full of missions with a few new tiles. Anyone heard of a rumor that this might happen? Otherwise after playing through the campaign twice, we are pretty much ready to sell it and move on. Replaying this game is suffering.

I think you shelve it for now. The Ally/Villain packs would probably be out this month if not for the delays in shipping due to the Maritime Union strikes. (See FFG's Main Page for an update on this).

I'm positive that we would be seeing announcements this month for a mini-expansion for Imperial Assault this month if not for those delays.

Compare to Descent 2.0, where initially it felt like after the main campaign was completed there was no reason to hold onto your copy. Yet, a year after Descent 2.0's release, content came fast and furious: with mini-expansions filling in the gaps between full expansion releases.

My point is: Imperial Assault was supposed to have more content around this time through the introduction of its Ally/Villain packs, but it has suffered delays thanks to the Maritime Union strikes. I anticipate we will see another Imperial Assault release (Mini or Full Expansion) in the summer months or early fall.

Unfortunately, content is staggered due to the delays. However, once the problems are sorted out: content will come at a rapid pace.

Consequently, shelve IA for now (or play Skirmish if you're interested in that feature). You will want to pull it off the shelve once more releases see your local game stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chbyer wrote:
If you've played an entire campaign twice you've already gotten a lot out of the game. Have you tried skirmish? That is where the game retains utility after you have completed the campaign.

The Descent 2.0 large expansions each had their own campaign book. I wouldn't expect IA to be any different.

I concur, I think skirmish and the add-on expansions will provide additional play. Unfortunately I would not expect a large expansion until much later in the year as they have not even announced it yet. I would not be surprised with an announcement at Gen Con with wide distribution in Q4, but that is just speculation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sell it. Definitely sell any good game less than two months after its release, and before any expansions come out, so you can read about how awesome the game has become on BGG in the months to come.

Yup, I'd sell it for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a Gen Con announcement would mean limited distribution in Q4 (a couple of days before Christmas) with wide release in Q1

Fingers crossed for a new campaign every year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There will definitely be expansions for this game (Based on how well it's sold), in the same vein as Descent 2.0 I'd imagine.

If only the Star Wars universe was a little larger hey.... Oh wait it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you serious? Of *course* there will be campaign expansions. This is FFG we're talking about! With how large Star Wars is (and since they leaked that they will be doing The Force Awakens games), there is plenty of lore they can delve to add content for years to come.

Looking at how they expanded Descent, which this game is based off of, chances are very good they'll follow that same model for expansions. There will be a "small box" expansion with new side missions and (hopefully) a mini campaign (I preferred Descent's mini campaign, so I'm hoping IA will do something similar). Then they will release a "large box" expansion that will have a normal, long campaign. Both these will have new heroes, new tiles, new missions, etc.

And kudos to FFG for morphing how the side missions integrate so smoothly into the campaign. Unlike Descent's Rumor mechanic, which is a bolt on, the side missions for a campaign are integral. Even if FFG didn't release a new campaign (and they'd be stupid not to) and just released Ally/Villain packs, just releasing side missions adds a lot of replayability to the base game's campaign. 50%+ of the missions you play are going to be side missions. All of those can be never-before-played missions once the Ally/Villain packs come out. If the box-expansions just had side missions, it'd breath a lot of life into the current campaign. Most likely though it will have both (a new campaign and a bunch of side missions).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
United States
Tampa Bay Area
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been whispers of FFG potentially merging X-wing Minis with Imperial Assault for campaigns, as well as community interest in developing this kind of content.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/18385460#18385460

Talk about repayable once the SW community gets involved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rcstook wrote:
after playing through the campaign twice, we are pretty much ready to sell it and move on. Replaying this game is suffering.

You mean you've played every single side mission in the game with all combinations of heroes? You've played all the forced missions? You already have the side missions that come with the announced expansion content and have played them as well? You've actually squeezed every drop of content you can get from it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also three different IP class decks...

Being the imperial player in this campaign, I see things that make most of the missions play very differently depending on a) when in the campaign schema the mission is played, b) who the heroes are, c) which class deck and which agenda cards the imperial player has, and d) rebel and IP strategy and how the dice roll.

So, I'm looking forward to play another campaign or three after this one as a rebel, or maybe trying another IP class deck. Of course, by the time of the start of the next campaign we probably have a few extra agenda and side mission cards from the expansions as well.

On Topic: Campaign books in the same or different time period are expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Chase
United States
Elma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just waiting for echo base in an expansion. That would be awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
rcstook wrote:
after playing through the campaign twice, we are pretty much ready to sell it and move on. Replaying this game is suffering.

You mean you've played every single side mission in the game with all combinations of heroes? You've played all the forced missions? You already have the side missions that come with the announced expansion content and have played them as well? You've actually squeezed every drop of content you can get from it?

Not everyone has to play every last permutation to loose interest in a game. Playing an entire campaign to get to one side mission with 1 different character out of 4 will not result in a wildly different experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
Playing an entire campaign to get to one side mission with 1 different character out of 4 will not result in a wildly different experience.

No, but playing with 30-50% different heroes, acquiring different weapons and class cards, playing against a different imperial player, with different class deck, with different play style, using different agenda sets, buying different agenda cards (forced and agenda side missions), getting side missions at different stages of the campaign will certainly play very, very differently, even if rebels win and lose all the same story missions.

And there are a lot of unknown events and outcomes in the missions even after playing them once or twice, as long as the imperial player has not spoiled all hidden (bonus) objectives that the rebels have not performed during the missions.

That's what I think. If that does not interest some group, that's their choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy mcglothlin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Or... Someone else could be the Empire... That'd shake things up for two players right there, and might change how difficult everything has been...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say just the core box, without ally/villain packs or other expansions, is worth about 3 play throughs before it starts to feel stale. Considering a campaign is about 25hrs long, that's a lot of game time! However, once you've gone through 3 times, you'll be longing for additional/different content. Throw in all currently announced ally/villain packs, I'd say you get 1, maybe 2 more play throughs before you want a totally different campaign. Throw in some different heroes, that would add another play through etc.

This campaign has nice replayability when you enhance just a few components (i.e. heroes and side missions), but it does get stale after a while. It would take quite the dedicated group though to get through that many campaigns in a short period of time (*I* couldn't do it).

Also, if the campaign is stale, there's always the skirmish (which I love).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GARY SEVEN
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

shnar wrote:
With how large Star Wars is (and since they leaked that they will be doing The Force Awakens games), there is plenty of lore they can delve to add content for years to come.

Can anyone link to info about the mentioned The Force Awakens games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention fan made campaigns using only materials from the core...They have fan made missions for X-Wing (some are pretty good) I'm sure that someone is already working on a cool campaign story line the rest of us can try out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They tweeted about it at: https://twitter.com/BoardGameGeek/status/567505093051031553

Quote:
.@FFGames will release items for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. That's all for now. CTP included for authenticity. WEM

They didn't say what types of games, if it will be ships for X-Wing, campaigns for Imperial Assault, RPG suppliments, or LCG games, or heck even new games. My guess is it will be a little bit of everything.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
monkeykins wrote:
Playing an entire campaign to get to one side mission with 1 different character out of 4 will not result in a wildly different experience.

No, but playing with 30-50% different heroes, acquiring different weapons and class cards, playing against a different imperial player, with different class deck, with different play style, using different agenda sets, buying different agenda cards (forced and agenda side missions), getting side missions at different stages of the campaign will certainly play very, very differently, even if rebels win and lose all the same story missions.

And there are a lot of unknown events and outcomes in the missions even after playing them once or twice, as long as the imperial player has not spoiled all hidden (bonus) objectives that the rebels have not performed during the missions.

That's what I think. If that does not interest some group, that's their choice.

I don't really disagree- for example, I've played through Skyrim 5 times already. I did not complete every sidequest with every character, choosing instead to "roleplay" it a bit. Starting a new game with a different character doing a few different sidequests was enough to entertain me for another run. Most people I know, however, simply completed every quest with one character and had no interest in going back and seeing how the game was VERY SLIGHTLY different using two handed weapons instead of two one handed weapons, or sword and shield, or magic, or any permutation of it. Because, really, it WON'T be very, very different. It will be slightly different, and for some that is enough. I am probably one of those people. OP, and his group, are not.

There will be more full campaigns, because people will buy them, and FFG tends to make things people will buy. So OP, shelve it until then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
I don't really disagree- for example, I've played through Skyrim 5 times already. I did not complete every sidequest with every character, choosing instead to "roleplay" it a bit. Starting a new game with a different character doing a few different sidequests was enough to entertain me for another run. Most people I know, however, simply completed every quest with one character and had no interest in going back and seeing how the game was VERY SLIGHTLY different using two handed weapons instead of two one handed weapons, or sword and shield, or magic, or any permutation of it. Because, really, it WON'T be very, very different.

You should go find PCGamer's blog about Skyrim if you're not familiar with it. Totally hilarious read, as the guy plays Skyrim as a mage who won't cause physical harm to anyone. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davro33 wrote:
monkeykins wrote:
I don't really disagree- for example, I've played through Skyrim 5 times already. I did not complete every sidequest with every character, choosing instead to "roleplay" it a bit. Starting a new game with a different character doing a few different sidequests was enough to entertain me for another run. Most people I know, however, simply completed every quest with one character and had no interest in going back and seeing how the game was VERY SLIGHTLY different using two handed weapons instead of two one handed weapons, or sword and shield, or magic, or any permutation of it. Because, really, it WON'T be very, very different.

You should go find PCGamer's blog about Skyrim if you're not familiar with it. Totally hilarious read, as the guy plays Skyrim as a mage who won't cause physical harm to anyone. laugh

Did summons count? Most of the major story points require killing certain enemies... That is really funny! My 5th and probably final run involved the melee viking, punching dragons to death. Didn't bother finishing the game, just did the sidequests I hadn't played.

Just like, I imagine, would happen to a group who had already played through the Imperial Assault campaign two or three times already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
CTP included for authenticity. WEM

Alright, I'll ask it since I'm not a twitterer. What does CTP and WEM stand for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pitner
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugin wrote:
shnar wrote:
CTP included for authenticity. WEM

Alright, I'll ask it since I'm not a twitterer. What does CTP and WEM stand for?

WEM looks like someone's initials as best I can tell. That seems to be the signature on a random amount of tweets from FFG. CTP I would presume is meaning something about a picture, but why they would use CTP over PIC or something like that I don't know heh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.