Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I got my Shadows of Brimestone core sets the other day and haven't had the time to do much with them, apart from read the books.

Yesterday I punched all the card and sorted the components into relevant storage and setup bundles. It took me about three hours.

So now I'm thinking, given all the complaints around the mini's if it took three hours to essentially punch card and sort it, I was in for a hell of a time.

So I decided to open a nice bottle of bourbon (Pappy's 20 yr for those into whisky) to assist me through the assembly. 4 hrs later both sets of mini's are fully assembled, gaps removed and all burs removed. So essentially they are ready to prime and paint.

Yes I'm a little tipsy by this point, but I'm wondering why all the fuss about the mini's.... Sure it's four hours, but with the right company it flew. Sure my fingers are now covered in glue and I'm still wondering why the zombies had so many pieces (They are one part even I was like WTF), but all in all, it wasn't so bad.

For reference I played a lot of Gamesworkshop board games and mini games back in the nineties, so assembly isn't something new to me, but I can't imagine most people would have a hard time with this (Apart from the fiddley zombies and the two boss models).

Yes there is a small skill requirement (I'd imagine without the right tools or experience it would take much longer and be more painful), but for anyone buying into a mini's board game, I really don't see the problem.

I do agree, these are not top shelf mini's, but I'm not unsatisfied with them either. They are on par with '90's GW plastic mini's. (GW Plastics have come a long way since then).

So now the painting. It'll take me about a month to finish I'd imagine, however my wife has offered to jump in and paint some (She's an excellent painter, we actually met working at a games store back in the late 90's.)

Anyway, thought I'd share my thoughts to add some balance to the mini assembly issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kudos to you friend and I'm happy to hear your side of the world has received your game.

I just wanted to mention that your experience was a little different than mine. It took me about 10 - 12 hours to assemble the miniatures.
I purchased all the necessary tools and put them together well, making sure to remove gaps etc etc.
BUT
I had no previous experience with assembling miniatures. None. I come from the wargame / board game side of things so that probably makes a difference.

I'm going to assume that most people are coming from where I do and it probably won't be 4 hours for them, unless they don't care about gaps.

I just want to be clear that I'm not complaining, whining or hating here, just providing the other side of the coin.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see how if this was someone's first foray into mini's how it could seem quite daunting (And time consuming). I made sure I mentioned my experience for exactly that reason, because I've read many post about the nightmares of the mini's for this game.

I guess it's all about expectations and experience. You certainly aren't alone in your time frame. I merely made the post because there are so many negative post about the mini assembly and thought it would be nice for people to hear the other side of it, from someone that has mini experience.

PS> It was a long wait, but it's finally made it's way to down under. Thanks for the kind sentiment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't have problems with the assembly, being a player of GW and PP games, just the quality was very lacking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Barber
England
Aylesford
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Took me 3.5 hrs. to do both games. Having assembled many games in the past GW, Mantic etc. I found Brimstones miniatures quite easy.
Not sure how you can make it last 10-12 hrs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
Canada
flag msg tools
Yeah I'm in the 12 hr + club too, having never done it before (aside from model aircraft) but it was worth it... the only truly horrible experience was 4 of the hungry dead models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LastChime wrote:
Yeah I'm in the 12 hr + club too, having never done it before (aside from model aircraft) but it was worth it... the only truly horrible experience was 4 of the hungry dead models.

The miners perchance?

I have powered through and had surprisingly little to no gaps in the swamp set (CoA - tonight) I do come from a mini assembly background (30+ years) so I had the benfit of that and I glued along to the FFP videos just in case. My only bad experience was cutting a hellbats wing tab off which required some creative gluing to get it to hold.

I don't want to troll back through all the threads but which model(s) have attracted the most ire with regard to gaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
jokeroz wrote:
I don't want to troll back through all the threads but which model(s) have attracted the most ire with regard to gaps?

Night Terrors and Goliath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bugger the ones I have yet to do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to scrape all the plastic mold lines off my minis, trim the pegs to fit better etc... and have already thrown about 3-4 hours on just clipping the tentacles, spiders cowboys and erm... mouth eating tentacles things out. Still have to do the night terrors and giant thing - and that's just from this set.

Again, not complaining, but I'm sure I wouldn't have been happy with my results if I'd cut, trimmed and built everything in 3 hours. I'm also going to use some green stuff to fill the gaps (for the first time ever) so expect this project to go into the 12+ hours just for one set

But my monsters are going to be SO pretty once painted - I hope !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantomwhale wrote:
I like to scrape all the plastic mold lines off my minis, trim the pegs to fit better etc... and have already thrown about 3-4 hours on just clipping the tentacles, spiders cowboys and erm... mouth eating tentacles things out. Still have to do the night terrors and giant thing - and that's just from this set.

Again, not complaining, but I'm sure I wouldn't have been happy with my results if I'd cut, trimmed and built everything in 3 hours. I'm also going to use some green stuff to fill the gaps (for the first time ever) so expect this project to go into the 12+ hours just for one set

But my monsters are going to be SO pretty once painted - I hope !

The mould lines aren't to bad for most of the mini's and I removed them whilst getting rid of the burs in most cases. However the Hellbats and Tentacles are a nightmare to get rid of the mould lines (I haven't finished removing them from those mini's yet and didn't include that in the 4hrs mentioned). The problem being is they run down the fronts and backs of those two mini's right through where a lot of the detail is.

I have about 20 different shaped scalpel blades I use for cutting plastic mini's and it means I can get into any sort of gap there is, but when mould lines go through detail it's simply a slow progress, if you don't want to damage said detail.

I wouldn't imagine most people would bother removing the mould lines from these mini's as it only matters if you intend to do high quality paint jobs (Which I do).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished them off this evening took longer than I'd hoped mainly due to distractions (family, marathon of Walkig Dead, etc) Goliath and Night terrors dame out better than expected given the comments. Had most trouble with Stranglers. Now the slow process of painting begins. I'm also tempted to sub in some alternate hero models....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
Canada
flag msg tools
jokeroz wrote:
LastChime wrote:

The miners perchance?

I have powered through and had surprisingly little to no gaps in the swamp set (CoA - tonight) I do come from a mini assembly background (30+ years) so I had the benfit of that and I glued along to the FFP videos just in case. My only bad experience was cutting a hellbats wing tab off which required some creative gluing to get it to hold.

Nah the 4 piece walkers, the arms are just so tiny for my giant mitts to deal with. The miners are pretty simple, other than their hands break off in transport.

I goofed bad with the harbinger and mine has a nasty gap, harbinger was the last model I did and I was just fed up with it at that point, he's held together just fine so far though so I did something right.

And yeah the 12+ hours includes trimming flash and mould lines, just like old ral partha's

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
LastChime wrote:
I goofed bad with the harbinger and mine has a nasty gap, harbinger was the last model I did and I was just fed up with it at that point, he's held together just fine so far though so I did something right.

You're the first person I recall saying he had trouble with the Harbinger.

I didn't have trouble per-se, but where the head "naturally" settled onto the body, the left horn interferes with the left wing. And I used plastic cement so I'm not going to try and correct it. I might wind up cutting the horn off and doing it up as battle damage.

There really was too much play in how the head fit on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearhug78 wrote:
I wouldn't imagine most people would bother removing the mould lines from these mini's as it only matters if you intend to do high quality paint jobs (Which I do).

That sounds about right. We didn't remove all the mold lines - just a few of the worst offenders. Gaps weren't filled.

I just recently decided to paint our SoB minis, despite being able to count the number of minis I've ever painted on one hand. I've been able to 'fill' a couple of the smaller gaps with paint. Bigger gaps will remain as they are. They'll still look fine when they're done. I'm not expecting a fantastic paint job from myself, just something more colorful and interesting than grey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
Canada
flag msg tools
ampoliros wrote:
LastChime wrote:

I didn't have trouble per-se, but where the head "naturally" settled onto the body, the left horn interferes with the left wing. And I used plastic cement so I'm not going to try and correct it. I might wind up cutting the horn off and doing it up as battle damage.

I couldn't get the head back far enough once I got the glue on so I was left with an 1/8" gap on his right side and his right arm was really loose, until left for a while for the cynoacrylate glue to set, should fill with epoxy resin though I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
LastChime wrote:

I had the same exact problem with my Harbinger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow

It took me 5+ hours for the Swamps of Death set alone and I haven't even started on the XL super-size boss.

I think I wasted most of the time by trying to cut off the plastic smoothly that held the model on the blister and I have to say there were many poor choices for those spots: right on the head that should connect to the hat, in plain sight on rounded pieces (hellbats), or even strait on the head on face details (slashers).

I still don't get why they produced the models like this and not like say Descent.
SoB models have less clear detail, have deformed parts and so on and the only positive thing you get out from assembling your own models, namly that you can customize them easily, got completely mitigated by those stupid connectors that predetermined even the ancle in which you could apply these pieces to each other. This became very problematic when I cut off all the zombie parts first and put them in a bag for glueing them together later: Want to slightly turn an arm of this zombie? The connector just won't fit like that. Want a different arm on this zombie? Not gonna happen, even if they look just the same.

Really I like this game a lot, but the miniatures are just frustrating to this point, from all the time it takes to assemble them to their really substandard quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esther B
Netherlands
Nieuwstadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Took me 12+ hours too.
I am not an expert in miniatures but sunk so much cash into this game that I wanted it to be as perfect as I could get it laugh

Trimming pegs, moldlines, glueing, yup 12+ hours spread over 3 days easy!

My clear acrylic bases arrived this week so I can finaly finish them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.