fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
http://news.yahoo.com/rudy-giuliani-obama-doesnt-love-americ...

"America's Mayor" has a sad.
Quote:
Rudy Giuliani: President Obama doesn’t love America

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani says he believes President Barack Obama does not love the United States — or the people in it.

“I do not believe, and I know this is a horrible thing to say, but I do not believe that the president loves America,” Giuliani said Wednesday during a private group dinner in Manhattan, Politico reports. “He doesn’t love you. And he doesn’t love me. He wasn’t brought up the way you were brought up and I was brought up through love of this country.”

The event was attended by Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, a Republican, and “60 right-leaning business executives and conservative media types,” according to Politico.

The former mayor failed in his bid for the 2008 Republican presidential nomination. Walker is currently considering his own run for the White House.

“With all our flaws, we’re the most exceptional country in the world,” Giuliani said. “I’m looking for a presidential candidate who can express that, do that and carry it out.

“And if it’s you, Scott, I’ll endorse you,” he added. “And if it’s somebody else, I’ll support somebody else.”

And this really crystalizes it right here:
Quote:
On “Fox & Friends” Thursday, Giuliani clarified his criticism of Obama but did not walk back his dinner comments.

“Well, first of all, I’m not questioning his patriotism. He’s a patriot, I’m sure,” Giuliani said. “What I’m saying is, in his rhetoric I very rarely hear the things that I used to hear Ronald Reagan say, the things that I used to hear Bill Clinton say about how much he loves America. ... I do hear him criticize America much more often than other American presidents. And when it’s not in the context of an overwhelming number of statements about the exceptionalism of America, it sounds like he’s more of a critic than he is a supporter.”

So Ronnie Reagan used to pat him on the head, and give him an American flag to cuddle in bed on the 4th of July, and read him a bedtime story about all of the great Americans who did great things greater than any other nations of the earth, and it made little Rudy feel good. But that meanie Obama refuses to stoop to petty jingoism & rank nationalism, that mean man! Bad man, mean man! MAKE ME FEEL BETTER! Read me a feelgood story about the greatness of 'Murica! GIVE ME A FLAG, YOU BASTARD!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are people still banging on about him, he cannot stand again? It really is like all they have to offer is the same old attacks against the same old targets, try something new.

But I do love the line (in effect) "I'll back anyone"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
The only way to stop Rome from burning is to whistle a "happy tune".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the majority of modern progressives do love America the way it is. They love the idea of what it could be, if their progressive ideas were implemented.

I'm not sure what is so shocking about someone actually saying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
jeremycobert wrote:
I don't think the majority of modern progressive do love America the way it is. They love the idea of what it could be, if their progressive ideas were implemented.
I don't think the majority of modern conservatives love America the way it is. They love the idea of how they think it used to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't "love" America I just like it intensely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

rcbevco wrote:
The only way to stop Rome from burning is to whistle a "happy tune".

And you couldn't possibly have been more disingenuous since Rome isn't burning. What's more, if it was, then in proper historical context, it must been a Reichstag-like fire set by some Italian who fancied himself a would-be Nero.

The only thing that will sap the morale of ISIS is when its followers discern that the beat of the drummer that they're marching to is one that dooms them all to a senseless death. And to do that, you have to dissect and discredit the propaganda behind their cult's End-Times scenario AND deprogram them to some extent of their kamikaze mentality. (Remember, the followers are more often than not willing to self-sacrifice themselves.)

Since ISIS' war is for the most part an amorphous sort of war with no definable battlefield -- other than their stated goals of capturing Damascus to instigate the arrival of their Mahdi (messiah) and then march on Jerusalem to capture the Dome of the Rock mosque -- for U.S. foot soldiers, it's a literal Whack-A-Mole sort of proposition that will inevitably, as before, ensure attrition on both sides.

What's more, having U.S. troops on the ground made Iraq a virtual shooting gallery and attracted hundreds, if not thousands, of Al Qaeda recruits and followers from surrounding countries to take the battle directly to U.S. forces.

The atrocities in the AbuGreb prison and elsewhere also gave Al Qaeda propaganda an inspirational boost because it more successfully corroborated what Al Qaeda was alleging: that U.S., British, and French forces were Crusaders.

The only sane way to play Whack-A-Mole is with drones, missiles, and air bombing.

But those fundamentalist Wahabi extremists are not going to be diminished by bombing alone. It will take a multi-facted and multi-prong approach like President Obama has proposed to comprehensively diminish ISIS across the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Besides, Obama

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jmilum wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Besides, Obama

Hey, it took Drew back-to-back posts AND an edit of the first one to say... ummm... absolutely nothing relevant to what I posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew's hypocriticality is about to go supercritical. "but, Bush!!! But, Bushh!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Why are people still banging on about him, he cannot stand again? It really is like all they have to offer is the same old attacks against the same old targets, try something new.

But I do love the line (in effect) "I'll back anyone"

Much in the same way that W bashing was done?

For full disclosure, both parties are idiots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

jmilum wrote:
Drew's hypocriticality is about to go supercritical. "but, Bush!!! But, Bushh!!"

Uh, yeah, especially since Jeb Bush introduced us to members of his Foreign Policy team yesterday and it included no less than the odious neo-con likes of Stephen Hadley and Paul Wolfowitz, Bush's fellow alumni of the Project for a New American Century think tank whose policy-policy goals propelled the Bush/Cheney administration to foment the 2003 Iraq War.

And yet, Jeb Bush refuses to comment how, if, or even why he would deviate from his brother Dubya's mistakes in Iraq???

That's probably because Jeb and his neo-con henchmen are already fomenting another war. After all, the Project for a New American Century think tank re-organized and re-named themselves "The Foreign Policy Initiative."

Moreover, since Jeb was also one of the charter founding members of the Project for a New American Century think tank, you can bet he's not only still a neo-con at heart but also he's a much more confirmed-and-verified neo-con at heart than his brother Dubya (who was NOT a member of that think tank) was. After all, Jeb was one of those who signed that Project for a New American Century newspaper ad calling for the U.S. to go to war with Iraq.

And lest we forget, the 9/11 terrorists received the jet-airplane piloting training in the state of Florida while Jeb Bush was governor. Considering that the odds of that happening to any governor in the U.S. are 2 in 100 and since the Project for a New American Century had said the year before it needed "another Pearl Harbor-like event to galvanize the nation before any of the foreign-policy intiatives would find any traction", it does seem more than just a bit coincidental, doncha think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

jmilum wrote:

Moreover, since Jeb was also one of the charter founding members of the Project for a New American Century think tank, you can bet he's not only still a neo-con at heart but also he's a much more confirmed-and-verified neo-con at heart than his brother Dubya (who was NOT a member of that think tank) was. After all, Jeb was one of those who signed that Project for a New American Century newspaper ad calling for the U.S. to go to war with Iraq.

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

rcbevco wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
jmilum wrote:

laugh

Yes, although the name "George 'Dubya' Bush" and the word "think" do appear incongruous in the same sentence, it nevertheless is a fact that Dubya was not a member of the Project for a New American Century think tank. *However,* Dick Cheney, Paul Wolfowitz, Stephen Hadley, and Donald Rumsfeld (among others) all were.

At least, his not being a member of that think tank did give Dubya a thin veneer of plausible deniability about his seemingly having been unaware of the Foreign-Policy aims and goals of the Project for a New American Century think tank. That's something that candidate Jeb Bush will NEVER be able to disavow now that he's confirmed that he's still very much the neo-con hawk at heart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:

There hasn't been a good meltdown for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've changed my mind, I love America...carnally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Drew1365 wrote:
Quote:
Let’s look at Obama’s four most recent public remarks.

Today, in his second address to the White House Summit on ‘Violent Extremism,’ the president suggested most Americans don’t personally know a Muslim and thus perceive them as dangerous and threatening:

Quote:
I’d like to close by speaking very directly to a painful truth that’s part of the challenge that brings us here today. In some of our countries, including the United States, Muslim communities are still small, relative to the entire population, and as a result, many people in our countries don’t always know personally of somebody who is Muslim. So the image they get of Muslims or Islam is in the news. And given the existing news cycle, that can give a very distorted impression.

Yesterday, in a separate address to the summit, Obama suggested that U.S. law enforcement is abusing the Muslim community, that they unfairly target Muslim Americans, and that past outreach efforts by law enforcement have been in bad faith:

Quote:
I know some Muslim Americans have concerns about working with government, particularly law enforcement. And their reluctance is rooted in the objection to certain practices where Muslim Americans feel they’ve been unfairly targeted.

So, in our work, we have to make sure that abuses stop, are not repeated, that we do not stigmatize entire communities. Nobody should be profiled or put under a cloud of suspicion simply because of their faith. (Applause.) Engagement with communities can’t be a cover for surveillance.

On February 17, Obama suggested that critics of his immigration executive order are opposing those who are ‘American by any other name except for their legal papers’ and want to stop them from serving their country.

Quote:
As we saw with the executive action that I took for DREAMers, people who have come here as young children and are American by any other name except for their legal papers, who want to serve this country, oftentimes want to go into the military or start businesses or in other ways contribute — I think the American people overwhelmingly recognize that to pretend like we are going to ship them off is unrealistic and not who we are.

On February 14, in his weekly address, Obama contended that the Republican Congress wants to deny American children a quality education – and for that matter, quality health care and child care:

Quote:
At a time when we have to give every child, everywhere, a fair shot – this Congress would actually allow states to make even deeper cuts into school districts that need the most support, send even more money to some of the wealthiest school districts in America, and turn back the clock to a time when too many students were left behind in failing schools.

Denying a quality education to the children of working families is as wrong as denying health care or child care to working families. We are better than this.

Every Obama speech has a villain, and that villain is often other Americans who disagree with the president. He doesn’t hesitate to paint a very dark picture of the country he leads: citizens who are xenophobic and paranoid about Muslims, abusive police forces unfairly focusing on Muslim communities, a public eager to forcibly deport good Americans who just want to serve their country, and lawmakers determined to deny good education to children.

Maybe Giuliani’s language is a bit overwrought or hyperbolic, but is it really that much overwrought or hyperbolic than Obama’s description of Americans who disagree with his policies? And if Obama consistently describes so many Americans as so prejudiced and mean-spirited… is Guiliani’s conclusion really that outlandish?

America, he's just not that into you.

Bullshit, there's not going to be an America or a world at large fit for human habitation if this matter devolves into yet another world war -- which is exactly what End-Times ISIS leaders and followers and some sects of rightwing fundamentalist-Christian extremists are aiming for. After all, if the war could be conflated as a war NOT ONLY against ISIS BUT ALSO against the entire Islamic world at large, then you've got a world war, Bud.

And oh yes, the Bush/Cheney administration has already given those ISIS folks plenty of believable propaganda to exploit about the U.S. and its allies being modern-day Crusaders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
If we fuck up bad enough there is still enough time for the cockroaches to evolve and have a good run at it before the sun burns out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does it feel like when someone mentions how someone else doesn't love America, the first person's love is like a crazy stalker's love for a celeb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
I don't think the majority of modern progressives do love America the way it is. They love the idea of what it could be, if their progressive ideas were implemented.

I'm not sure what is so shocking about someone actually saying it.

Yeah. I don't think you have a clue about what modern progressives are, who belongs to them, what America is or has been or shall be.

If you go to get a a tub of plaster and a gallon of paint at the hardware store to fix a crack in the wall of your home, it isn't a lack of love for the home.

America is a great nation. Doesn't mean it doesn't have flaws or couldn't be even better. Making villains of those who disagree with you isn't patriotic its' merely thuggish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
If we fuck up bad enough there is still enough time for the cockroaches to evolve and have a good run at it before the sun burns out.

It has already begun:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/05/24/mutant-cockroaches-e...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Yeah I can't believe a politician said that another politician didn't love America. Remember when Obama said President Bush was unpatriotic for increasing the debt by 4 trillion?

I hope our OP doesn't operate by double standards.

(Besides, Obama showed what it truly means to be patriotic by more than doubling that amount!)
There the right goes again, banging on about Bush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulesjd wrote:
Yeah. I don't think you have a clue about what modern progressives are, who belongs to them, what America is or has been or shall be.

Oh but I do. You'll notice I dont call you a bunch of liberals. I know you people all too well.

Rulesjd wrote:
If you go to get a a tub of plaster and a gallon of paint at the hardware store to fix a crack in the wall of your home, it isn't a lack of love for the home.

But if all you do is complain about your home and how horrible it is compared to the Svenson house across the pond and do everything in your power to make everyone else's house as shitty as yours and do nothing but point out all the flaws in your house anytime you have company over. Then I think its safe to say you are no longer in love with your house.

Rulesjd wrote:
America is a great nation. Doesn't mean it doesn't have flaws or couldn't be even better. Making villains of those who disagree with you isn't patriotic its' merely thuggish.

On the other hand ,playing the victim card is totally American !!!! Progressives believe this country was unfairly founded on the backs of others and they are going to fix that injustice by putting the country in its place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Quote:
Let’s look at Obama’s four most recent public remarks.

Today, in his second address to the White House Summit on ‘Violent Extremism,’ the president suggested most Americans don’t personally know a Muslim and thus perceive them as dangerous and threatening:

Quote:
I’d like to close by speaking very directly to a painful truth that’s part of the challenge that brings us here today. In some of our countries, including the United States, Muslim communities are still small, relative to the entire population, and as a result, many people in our countries don’t always know personally of somebody who is Muslim. So the image they get of Muslims or Islam is in the news. And given the existing news cycle, that can give a very distorted impression.

Yesterday, in a separate address to the summit, Obama suggested that U.S. law enforcement is abusing the Muslim community, that they unfairly target Muslim Americans, and that past outreach efforts by law enforcement have been in bad faith:

Quote:
I know some Muslim Americans have concerns about working with government, particularly law enforcement. And their reluctance is rooted in the objection to certain practices where Muslim Americans feel they’ve been unfairly targeted.

So, in our work, we have to make sure that abuses stop, are not repeated, that we do not stigmatize entire communities. Nobody should be profiled or put under a cloud of suspicion simply because of their faith. (Applause.) Engagement with communities can’t be a cover for surveillance.

On February 17, Obama suggested that critics of his immigration executive order are opposing those who are ‘American by any other name except for their legal papers’ and want to stop them from serving their country.

Quote:
As we saw with the executive action that I took for DREAMers, people who have come here as young children and are American by any other name except for their legal papers, who want to serve this country, oftentimes want to go into the military or start businesses or in other ways contribute — I think the American people overwhelmingly recognize that to pretend like we are going to ship them off is unrealistic and not who we are.

On February 14, in his weekly address, Obama contended that the Republican Congress wants to deny American children a quality education – and for that matter, quality health care and child care:

Quote:
At a time when we have to give every child, everywhere, a fair shot – this Congress would actually allow states to make even deeper cuts into school districts that need the most support, send even more money to some of the wealthiest school districts in America, and turn back the clock to a time when too many students were left behind in failing schools.

Denying a quality education to the children of working families is as wrong as denying health care or child care to working families. We are better than this.

Every Obama speech has a villain, and that villain is often other Americans who disagree with the president. He doesn’t hesitate to paint a very dark picture of the country he leads: citizens who are xenophobic and paranoid about Muslims, abusive police forces unfairly focusing on Muslim communities, a public eager to forcibly deport good Americans who just want to serve their country, and lawmakers determined to deny good education to children.

Maybe Giuliani’s language is a bit overwrought or hyperbolic, but is it really that much overwrought or hyperbolic than Obama’s description of Americans who disagree with his policies? And if Obama consistently describes so many Americans as so prejudiced and mean-spirited… is Guiliani’s conclusion really that outlandish?

America, he's just not that into you.

Wait, so you have a couple of quotes from Obama that show that he really cares about his country and you somehow interpret that as he doesn't love his country.
I have nothing to say here to someone who can twist things like that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.