Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed on treebeard.com that they had 2 books for sale

The Wizard's companion for $8.00

The Wizard's players guide for $15.00

are both necessary or is one better than the other?

Thanks,

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian B
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
mbmb
Both are good. The Companion is more about explaining the rules. The Guide is more about strategy and deck-building. There are Guides for each set up to Lidless Eye though so the Wizard's Guide only includes the first set.

I found both useful, but then I eventually bought all the books

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
which book includes rules for solitaire play?

Thanks,

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
The companion has solitaire scenarios and I think, the rules. Can't rememeber.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
If I have Challenge Decks and don't plan more, is the Companion (3333) enough, or should I be looking for the Guide (3334), Casual Companion (3340), or Mastering Middle-Earth?

How useful are the maps (3338) beyond them maps in the back of 3333?

I am assuming the Challenge decks are from the base set. Please let me know if that is wrong and I should care about dragons, dark minions, the lidless eye, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian B
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
mbmb
grandslam wrote:
If I have Challenge Decks and don't plan more, is the Companion (3333) enough, or should I be looking for the Guide (3334), Casual Companion (3340), or Mastering Middle-Earth?

How useful are the maps (3338) beyond them maps in the back of 3333?

I am assuming the Challenge decks are from the base set. Please let me know if that is wrong and I should care about dragons, dark minions, the lidless eye, etc.

You can play without any of these books but if you want a book then I think you should go for The Wizards Companion. This is bascically a bigger and better rulebook, also containing errata and maps.

Regarding the other products you mentioned:

Wizards Players Guide: only refers to the first set and includes some outdated rules. Each Guide contains complete card lists for that set with black and white pictures of the cards and play tips on each card which is nice. I would only get this of you want to learn about deckbuilding.

Casual Companion: contains a few scenarios that I have never played. Also explains the rules a bit better than the rulebook, but in less detail the The Wizards Companion (which isnt necessarily a bad thing).

Mastering Middle Earth: A good book about deckbuilding using the first three sets.

The Map set is a waste of time unless you like collecting. Schematic free downloadable maps are better for playing.
http://amor.rz.hu-berlin.de/~h0444nzw/meccgmaps/

The Challenge decks include cards from all sets except The Balrog. There are hero and minion decks (but no Fallen Wizard). I'd recommend sticking to the hero decks initially. If you want to play minion then the Lidless Eye Companion might also be useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks! The schematic maps look great.

If we get into deckbuilding, I'll look into the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.