Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Kickstarter version a Kickstarter only item, or will they be selling this in stores as well? Is there anything that we won't be able to get at a later date?

I'm tight on funds right now and not sure if I cnna bakc it, but it looks lieek an interesting game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Topher Speth
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Hi Bruce,

Everything on the Kickstarter will be available either in the base retail version or as a stand-alone expansions. Many times stores do not order these stand-alone expansions however, so they may be difficult to purchase outside of our own website (eaglegames.net)

Topher
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
Is the Kickstarter version a Kickstarter only item, or will they be selling this in stores as well? Is there anything that we won't be able to get at a later date?

I'm tight on funds right now and not sure if I can back it, but it looks like an interesting game.

Their are really only 2 reasons to back the Kickstarter versus waiting for the final retail package.

First Kickstarters will get it first and secondly what the final retail package looks like will heavily depend on what the final Kickstarter campaign closes at.

If you for sure want the game you might as well get it through the Kickstarter which will make the final package better. You could wait for retail but even with OLGS discounts you will pay about the same price since Kickstarter backers will get the 2 free factions and metal coins. While those 2 things are not exclusives they will be an expansion that is an additional cost meaning you will pretty much break even there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Davis
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:
Bruiser419 wrote:

I'm tight on funds right now and not sure if I can back it, but it looks like an interesting game.

Their are really only 2 reasons to back the Kickstarter versus waiting for the final retail package.

First Kickstarters will get it first and secondly what the final retail package looks like will heavily depend on what the final Kickstarter campaign closes at.

If you for sure want the game you might as well get it through the Kickstarter which will make the final package better. You could wait for retail but even with OLGS discounts you will pay about the same price since Kickstarter backers will get the 2 free factions and metal coins. While those 2 things are not exclusives they will be an expansion that is an additional cost meaning you will pretty much break even there.

There is also a KS exclusive expansion that includes a 2nd map of the world and new unique trade goods and buildings that accompany it - as well as a free metal coin upgrade that will not be available in the retail version(s).

IF that makes a difference for anyone, then you may want to back the project rather than wait...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
where would this come from: "KS exclusive expansion that includes a 2nd map of the world"?? the reverse of the main game board/map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
where would this come from: "KS exclusive expansion that includes a 2nd map of the world"?? the reverse of the main game board/map?

Age Of Empires: The World has been announced as a secondary map that will go along with some of the extra pieces. It will be an optional add-on for either $17 or if we break $250k it will drop in price to $10. If you don't pay the extra you will get a single side map with the standard map only.

Coins are not an exclusive, merely free when we break $200k... unless I missed an update?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Davis
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:
John_VW wrote:

Age Of Empires: The World has been announced as a secondary map that will go along with some of the extra pieces. It will be an optional add-on for either $17 or if we break $250k it will drop in price to $10. If you don't pay the extra you will get a single side map with the standard map only.

Coins are not an exclusive, merely free when we break $200k... unless I missed an update?

Well the coins wouldn't be truly exclusive, in the sense that you will be able to purchase them from the Eagle/Gryphon website. However, they won't come with the retail version. Instead, 100 plastic coins will come with the retail version and the metal coin upgrade will cost 4-5x as much (plus shipping) when purchased separately...

From Update #3:
"We will do the best we can on tying this down, but I am very likely to make this a $5 Add-On (for 100 metal coins). That way you preserve the option just to keep the plastic coins if that is okay, and to pay $5 (the discounted retail rate for these in the US is $20-25) if you want to upgrade to metal. I suspect our cost will be between $6-$10 but we do not have that pinned down yet. Only if our cost is greater than $10 (unlikely) will I change my mind. So let's just say that it is 90% likely that we will be adding 100 metal coins at the $200K Stretch Goal as a $5 Add-On and I will confirm this within the next week for you who like more certainty than this."

It was later 'confirmed' that if/when the KS hits $200k the metal coins go from being a $5 upgrade to being free for all backers. Also, a 2nd set of metal coins may be purchased by KS backers for an additional $5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff8695 wrote:

There is also a KS exclusive expansion that includes a 2nd map of the world and new unique trade goods and buildings that accompany it

Only if 2500-3000 backers are reached. See update#15

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2002188924/age-of-empir...

Quote:

And finally, there will be the question of "will this be exclusive to Kickstarter Backers". The answer is "I am not sure at this time". To make it an exclusive we will likely need 2500-3000 Backers to support the printing costs and make this work financially. So let's play it this way--I am going to plan to print 3,000 copies of this EAODW variant (more if there are more KS backers) and if we get 3,000 backers then yes, this will be a Kickstarter exclusive. But if we get fewer than 3,000 backers I am still going to print up 3,000 copies, and that means that others besides KS backer MIGHT be able to get one of these after the KS ends (likely MSRP= $25).

I am still on the fence if the KS is worth it. I think the free metal coins stretch goal will be reached but i fully expect to find the deluxe edition later in (online) stores much cheaper. Also since the plastic coins are also very nice i am not sure if the metal ones are that big of a deal.
And the 2 added colors add nothing (for me) to the game, i couldn't care less - the 2 additional countries can easily be integrated with the help of a color printer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:
John_VW wrote:

I have 2 copies already of AOE III, but am interested in the new/2nd map...will it be avail (outside of KS) to me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
Grumsh wrote:
John_VW wrote:

I have 2 copies already of AOE III, but am interested in the new/2nd map...will it be avail (outside of KS) to me?

The Kickstarter comments are murky on this one. My gut is somehow it will be boxed in with the Denmark/Prussia as an expansion of some kind. I am fully admitting that is 100% assumption and conjecture but it is the most logical one I can make.

Honestly if this makes $210k I would say you would be really missing out by ignoring the kickstarter and going with the final retail.

At that point even with OLGS prices you will be paying more to get everything that comes with the Kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Davis
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
Grumsh wrote:
John_VW wrote:

You mentioned having 2 copies of the game... Does that include the Builder's expansion?

If so, you can get all the deluxe "bells and whistles" except 6 sets of minis at the deluxe upgrade level - ($59 plus $12 shipping plus $17 to guarantee the World map/buildings/trade goods/etc) for $88 at worst. And if $250k is reached you'll get back $7-$10 of that pledge from the price of the World expansion.

So, best case scenario you get everything except a redundant set of (red/orange/yellow/green/blue/purple) miniatures at a cost of $78-$81, shipping included. That seems like a very good deal to me...

I've waffled back and forth between the $59 upgrade level and backing the full game. However, I am currently at the Early Bird $99 pledge level. I can probably sell off my old copy of the base game and builder's expansion and recoup that extra $40. Also, this way someone else will get the benefit of owning/playing a much beloved game instead of cannibalizing its minis to fill out my KS version...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff8695 wrote:
I've waffled back and forth between the $59 upgrade level and backing the full game. However, I am currently at the Early Bird $99 pledge level. I can probably sell off my old copy of the base game and builder's expansion and recoup that extra $40. Also, this way someone else will get the benefit of owning/playing a much beloved game instead of cannibalizing its minis to fill out my KS version...

I'm also in your camp here. I have a copy, but am at the $100 pledge level. I'm just a bit OCD and since there are new colors with the square/circle bottoms will drive me crazy to have the old sets all circle bottoms, hah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff...2nd copy doesn't have the 'expansions', but i'd bought a 3rd copy years/years ago (with another expansion as well; no idea they were ever going to do this so I had to make my own "deluxe edition") and made my own black & white "colonists" as well...

and quite honestly, anyone wanting the game should buy the orig anyhow and start playing now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.