United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Love live the Empress!
badge
For the Motherland!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little confused by the rule where one invades an area using the "same border". It states that one group must be designated the main attacking force, and the other(s) is/are the reserve.

What I don't understand is: using the same border. The example they use is when Mar and Angus attack Buchan. I can see the "common border" Angus and Mar share, but not every region is that clear when talking about "sharing a border".

For example, do Lennox, Mentieth, and Fife share the same border when attacking Atholl? Is Agryll and Angus included in that same border, or are they on "different" borders?

Maybe I'm just confused, but if someone could clarify this rule for me (or maybe I just need a closer look at the board) that'd be great.

I should point out, I haven't bought the game yet, but have *just* downloaded the rules and the map, and it is HIGH on my list of things to get. I thought I'd try and clarify it, since I won't have anyone teaching me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I understand it is:

A border seperates two and only two areas. The Atholl-Mentieth border and the Atholl-Lennox border are different borders even though the line on the map that marks the border is continuous.

The main battle must be chosen from blocks that are all in the same group (that is, they all started the turn together in the same area) and that entered the battle area across the same border. Basically, they have to have made their whole move together.

When all units enter a battle by crossing the same border, they may be different groups (that is, started in different areas) and so can't be all in the main battle.

When all units start in the same group, but cross by different borders, they can't all be in the main battle. Sometimes you split up the group due to border limits, or to ensure that a certain border is controlled to allow/prevent retreats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
You could, theoretically, send six blocks from Mar and six from Angus into Buchan. If you did, one group of six would have to be the "main" and the other the "reserves." The "reserves" don't get to start rolling until one complete round has been done.

If you had six blocks in Atholl, you could attack Mentieth with only two of them. Recall this important rule, that blocks crossing a red border must stop. If you wanted to attack Mentieth with six units from Atholl, you would could split the other four to Lennox and Fife and make your attack on the next card play (since they have to stop you can't do it that turn).

If you did that, you would have three groups of two blocks entering Mentieth. One of them is designated Main and the others reserves, which again, could not attack until the second round of combat.

The border limits are per territory, per player, per turn (card play).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Noe
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Love live the Empress!
badge
For the Motherland!
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
You could, theoretically, send six blocks from Mar and six from Angus into Buchan. If you did, one group of six would have to be the "main" and the other the "reserves." The "reserves" don't get to start rolling until one complete round has been done.

If you had six blocks in Atholl, you could attack Mentieth with only two of them. Recall this important rule, that blocks crossing a red border must stop. If you wanted to attack Mentieth with six units from Atholl, you would could split the other four to Lennox and Fife and make your attack on the next card play (since they have to stop you can't do it that turn).

If you did that, you would have three groups of two blocks entering Mentieth. One of them is designated Main and the others reserves, which again, could not attack until the second round of combat.

The border limits are per territory, per player, per turn (card play).

So, let me see if I have this correct:

1. When attacking a region, you must follow the 6 per black border, 2 per red border rule.

2. When attacking a region, 1 group that you moved must be declared your main attacking force, all other groups are in reserve.

Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schuwa wrote:

2. When attacking a region, 1 group that you moved must be declared your main attacking force, all other groups are in reserve.

Is that correct?

Yes, with one additional restriction that applies if you split up a moving group during its move.

Per 5.32, "One group crossing the same border must be declared the Main Attack. All other friendly blocks are placed in Reserve."

That is, even when all your units are in the same group (started together and activated with the same group move), they may not all be eligible to be in the Main Battle - the main battle can only be selected from blocks that both started together and crossed the same border into the region being attacked.

Say you start with 4 blocks in Carrick, want to attack an enemy block in Galloway, and Annan is empty. With one group move, you can move two blocks Carrick-Galloway, and the other two Carrick-Annan-Galloway. One of those sets of two blocks would be designated the main attack and the other would be in reserve (since, although they are all in the same group, they didn't all cross the same border).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.