Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Moak
United States
Eads
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a product called Bookbag that keeps track of all of the books I have, where I bought them, etc. I was looking at their website again and they have a product called Gamelist. It is primarily for video games, but could probably still be used for board games. I emailed them to see if they would be interested in modifying it for us board game geeks. It shouldn't be that big a change.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in looking at the Gamelist product as currently available for your PC you can visit their website at http://www.wakefieldsoft.com/. You can download a demo version of the software good for 14 days. The really cool thing about their software is that it also allows you to download the game data to your Palm device or other handheld computer/phone.

I do not represent the company, but have used one of their products and loved the handheld option. You can carry the information with you so that your collection information is only a click or two away.

Enjoy!

Update: I received the following reply from Wakefield.

Yes, we would certainly be interested in minor modifications if it was not too involved.

Thanks for mentioning it there. If you or others have input, they can certainly leave feedback from our support page.

Regards,
Shawn
WakefieldSoft, LLC
www.wakefieldsoft.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Glidden
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not trying to be a smart@##, but isn't that what BGG does? I mean... reinventing the wheel and all that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Johnson
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh... sign me up for the Funeral Planner! Fun stuff!

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Teemer
United States
Prosper
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just use MS Access?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McLelland
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
Don't touch me!!!
badge
Hi! How are you?!?
mbmbmbmbmb
gteemer wrote:
Why not just use MS Access?

Better question, why EVER use MS Access? Seriously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Access isn't commonly present in MS Office unless you're using it on an enterprise, a better suggestion for most people would be Open Office. You can use the same program on your Mac, Linux, and Windows systems, and it's free.

Martin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that MS-Access is going to be dropped from the newer edition of MS Office anyways. But for prototyping or for quick solutions, it's great. I would never use it (anymore) professionnally, if I can!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowe
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmglidden wrote:
I'm not trying to be a smart@##, but isn't that what BGG does? I mean... reinventing the wheel and all that.

This might be an area for improvement on BGG. I find the process of adding games to my collection on BGG rather cumbersome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You visit the game's page, scroll to the bottom and click on a box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
Access sucks in the enterprise, but it's good for quick solutions.
Working as an enterprise dB programmer I would have to agree with Ryan. Access does a fine job for a single user (i.e. no multi-user access to the db). Then again I have used multi-user applications which had an Access back-end, and they worked, to a point.... But I digress.

Quote:
I spent 20 minutes whipping up a DB that stores my games played, including players and scores. One click posts the game to BGG so I never need to record my plays on BGG directly. Plus, it's excellent for my own queries.

Ryan, would it be possible to have a look at your app/db?

Cheers,
Denis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Goddard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moakm wrote:
It is primarily for video games, but could probably still be used for board games. I emailed them to see if they would be interested in modifying it for us board game geeks. It shouldn't be that big a change.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in looking at the Gamelist product as currently available for your PC you can visit their website at http://www.wakefieldsoft.com/. You can download a demo version of the software good for 14 days. The really cool thing about their software is that it also allows you to download the game data to your Palm device or other handheld computer/phone.

I much prefer the "collectorz" series of programs for keeping track of things. They all download the content and pictures from multiple online sites. They even have a specific export to your iPod among other formats.

www.collectorz.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.