Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Couple of quick questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Garrett

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
1 - If a location like the hospital is full of zombies and more should be placed there, what happens? Is there a penalty?

2-Do the zombies ever initiate an attack, or is that just by rolling while moving or after killing a zombie?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Frigault
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1: If a survivor is currently at a location full of zombies, and more zombies need to arrive, the survivor is killed. More zombies wont actually be placed on the location.

2: The situation where zombies overrun a location and kill a survivor is actually a time where zombies would technically be on the offensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Garrett

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you!

One more question, what does being the 'leader' do? I didn't see it have any real effect other than who goes first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bergeron
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it has any other effects as I believe some changes were made late in the testing process that changed how it was used. If I can find the reference for that I will post it here.

Edit
Here it is: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/18263522

ChrisGarrett wrote:
Thank you!

One more question, what does being the 'leader' do? I didn't see it have any real effect other than who goes first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChrisGarrett wrote:
Thank you!

The only time the leader matters is when determining starting player and for a couple objective cards that refer to having a certain number of "followers". Followers are survivors you control that are not the leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I will pipe up with my usual comment about the leader.
There are some objectives that mention the "following", which means "everyone except your leader". This is rarely relevant except for when it says "you have exactly N survivors in your following."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Mirfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
So to sum everything up and make it nice and easy to read.

1) When zombies are added to a location, if there is no empty spaces then a survivor in that location is killed for each zombie that cannot be added (starting with the survivor with the lowest influence and working up), moving the morale maker down for each survivor killed. This is described as an entrance being overrun. If there are no survivors then no zombies are added anyway.

2) There is no zombie "attack" in Dead of Winter, there is just the chance of being bitten when moving, when attacking a zombie, or being killed when an entrance over runs.

3) The leader may determine starting player according to influence in some situations, and is not included in your "following", which some card text refers to. When a card refers to your "following" this means all of your survivors EXCEPT your leader.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
There are some objectives that mention the "following", which means "everyone except your leader". This is rarely relevant except for when it says "you have exactly N survivors in your following."

I never interpreted it that way. Where are you getting that from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
wmreed wrote:
jozxyqk wrote:

It's the only way the "Serial Killers" Betrayal Objective makes sense at all:

Serial Killers wrote:
3. You have at least 1 survivor in your following.

If "following" meant your total number of survivors, then this would be redundant.

The "Obsessed" objective is another one where it is relevant, and makes sense with this interpretation (the underlining is mine, of course):
Obsessed wrote:
2. You have only 1 survivor in your following.
3. You have at least 1 weapon card equipped to each survivor you control.

Also, Step 11 of Game Setup:
rulebook page 6, Game Setup wrote:
10. Each player makes 1 of those 2 survivors her group leader, placing it in the respective space on her reference card.
11. The other survivor is placed in the player’s following, below their player reference sheet.

I believe it was confirmed somewhere in a thread by Jon as well. Can't find it right now.

(Many edits after I found more-conclusive proof)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:

1) When zombies are added to a location, if there is no empty spaces then a survivor in that location is killed for each zombie that cannot be added (starting with the survivor with the lowest influence and working up), moving the morale maker down for each survivor killed. This is described as an entrance being overrun. If there are no survivors then no zombies are added anyway.

2) There is no zombie "attack" in Dead of Winter, there is just the chance of being bitten when moving, when attacking a zombie, or being killed when an entrance over runs.

3) The leader may determine starting player according to influence in some situations, and is not included in your "following", which some card text refers to. When a card refers to your "following" this means all of your survivors EXCEPT your leader.

Hope that helps.

Two quick notes:
1) If there no free spaces at a location but there are Barricades present, the zombies will run into the, causing a zombie and a barricade to be discarded.
2) Some Crisis cards and some Crossroads cards, and noise tokens CAN cause more zombies to appear on a location where there are no survivors. If that location is overrun the extra zombies are simply discarded to no effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Mirfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
newsaidin wrote:
PeterM2158 wrote:

Hope that helps.

Two quick notes:
1) If there no free spaces at a location but there are Barricades present, the zombies will run into the, causing a zombie and a barricade to be discarded.
2) Some Crisis cards and some Crossroads cards, and noise tokens CAN cause more zombies to appear on a location where there are no survivors. If that location is overrun the extra zombies are simply discarded to no effect.

Yep very true - thanks for that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odyzeus Longbow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
wmreed wrote:
jozxyqk wrote:

Serial Killers wrote:

If "following" meant your total number of survivors, then this would be redundant.

The "Obsessed" objective is another one where it is relevant, and makes sense with this interpretation (the underlining is mine, of course):
Obsessed wrote:

10. Each player makes 1 of those 2 survivors her group leader, placing it in the respective space on her reference card.
11. The other survivor is placed in the player’s following, below their player reference sheet.

I believe it was confirmed somewhere in a thread by Jon as well. Can't find it right now.

You are right!
Damn it, I remembered this distinction and still misread those objective cards...

I keep finding more mistakes we're making.cry But hopefully I've flushed them all out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
newsaidin wrote:
You are right!
Damn it, I remembered this distinction and still misread those objective cards...

It's an easy rule to miss, because the designers did an incomplete job removing the "Leader and Followers" references from whatever they'd previously playtested. I'm guessing that either they didn't remove these rules until after the playmats were printed, or they're planning on bringing back more Leader rules.

And this one really only matters in such a small percentage of cases, they never should have used the "follower" distinction in card-wordings.

Especially if the expansion doesn't reintroduce Leader-specific mechanics, I might make some modifications to the existing rules and cards for going forward teaching.
A paper-proxy in the sleeve with Serial Killers saying "3. You control at least 2 survivors", and one in Obsessed saying "2. You control exactly 2 survivors", and otherwise saying to ignore the concept of Leader after the game starts, is a quick and dirty solution...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
PeterM2158 wrote:

Hope that helps.

Hi, what happens if you need to roll for a noise token, but there are no survivors at that location and the spaces are all taken up ? Do you just discard the token,(no effect)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Mirfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stevieram wrote:
PeterM2158 wrote:

Hope that helps.

Hi, what happens if you need to roll for a noise token, but there are no survivors at that location and the spaces are all taken up ? Do you just discard the token,(no effect)

If all the spaces are taken up by zombies, then yes discard the noise token. If there are any barricades then roll a die for each noise token as usual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Late Night Society of Token Pushers
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
jozxyqk wrote:
wmreed wrote:
jozxyqk wrote:

Serial Killers wrote:

Obsessed wrote:

And it really makes sense when you read the Betrayer endings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Late Night Society of Token Pushers
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Stevieram wrote:

I e-mailed Brian Beyke at Plaid Hat about this and this was his reply:

Today at 8:33 AM
Nothing, the zombies just stay there. Sad and hungry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.