Subject: playing battlelore with 4 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ronen talker
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
(2nd edition)
is it possible to play with 4 players? i can buy a second core box if needed but are there any rules for 2v2 game?
thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Officially, there are no rules to support 4 players. However, if you had 2 core sets, you could probably put the boards next to each other to make one extra-wide board, use different scenario cards for each, and then come up with some rules for how the sections work. But it would take some house-ruling to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We keep talking about doing this, too. It's just that the game is so designed for vertical movement and not horizontal. It seems like it would mostly be like two games happening at the same time with just a little bit of interaction as units occasionally cross between boards. I'd love for something that was rigorously playtested to make it happen, though - the board is designed for it, seemingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
LongDarkBlues wrote:
We keep talking about doing this, too. It's just that the game is so designed for vertical movement and not horizontal. It seems like it would mostly be like two games happening at the same time with just a little bit of interaction as units occasionally cross between boards. I'd love for something that was rigorously playtested to make it happen, though - the board is designed for it, seemingly.

If that's the problem, what about putting the two boards one above the other in stead of flanking them? Just be sure that the "common edge" has the same army on both sides, and now you have the vertical equilibrium preserved.

Possibly, introducing some rules on how to move across the edge could come in handy, to avoid some problems to the guy in the central position (maybe giving him an MP bonus?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Unfortunately, the top edges wouldn't form full hexes. I suppose FFG could make a strip that fit between the two boards to make full hexes out of the corners? I think side by side would be good if we could figure out the horizontal movement and - if you've got 6 sections horizontally, I suppose you could count them as pairs - 1 & 2 are the left section, 3 & 4 are the center section, and 5 & 6 are the right section?

Just in general, I'm not sure there's enough individual incentive to make it much of a co-op game - if you're already strategizing with your partner for each move, why do you need a second board? Yet, with a decreased emphasis on horizontal movement, there's no real way to be meaningful antagonists, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hubbard
United States
Mullica Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was going to suggest checking out the original Battlelore "Epic" format rules but I can't seem to find them online. I can't even find a product page on either Days of Wonder or FFGs websites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's in FFG's archive - here's a direct link to the .pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ronen talker
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thanks guys, i hope FFG will come out with 2nd edition epic expansion soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.