Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have only completed one three lap race before,Monaco, so we were looking forward to trying another and seeing if we could do better.

The time trials were in sunshine, so we all used soft tires. The Zandvoort track was definitely faster, and I did better this time out (in our first race I finished 4, 5, 6). Our results were:

Bumble Bee (P)
Phoenix (C)
Demi-Vert (P)
Shadow (C)
Green Rocket (P)
Noel (C)

P= Penny
C= Chris

For the race, we still opted not to use the slipstream rule.

Penny rolled for the weather and it was rain, our first rainy race, so we thought carefully about our customizing. Of course we opted for wet tires, and decided to allocate 5-6 points for tires. Due to the increased chance of collision, we mostly opted for 3 body points; only 2 for suspension and engine. Brakes and gas, depending on the car, got 4 or 5.

Lap 1
Green Rocket was the only car that did not have a normal start as it stalled. The pack spread out very quickly, but there was still collision damage in the very first corner, as Bumble Bee took the lead.

I find the second corner is one of the two cruxes on this track. The longest route only contains four spaces and the shortest, one. Of course the dice do play a role in this corner, but if luck is against you, it can also be against your opponent, so it still boils down to planning and marshalling your resources. Well, the leaders, Bumble Bee and Phoenix came up a little short on this corner, while those further back in the pack seemed to time it better.

The fifth corner is the second crux. It is the only two stop corner in the race, and things really changed on this corner. Green Rocket shot to the front and managed to stay in fourth on the sixth corner and took the lead on the second lap, which was pretty good for a bad start in fifth position.

Perhaps we were driving conservatively because of the rain, but the first lap was not very punishing. Bumble Bee was the only car that make a quick stop at the pits.

Lap 2

In the second lap we definitely got over our caution and started punishing our cars.

The fifth corner proved to be bigger of the two cruxes on this lap, as Green Rocket lost some of its lead as he stopped just as he was to enter it. Noel had to gear down four gears to round it. Phoenix and Shadow came up short on the last corner; then Phoenix seriously overshot it and was eliminated. Bumble Bee and Demi-Vert trailed for most of this lap and were dubbed the "Grannies." Noel got eliminated when he overshot a corner, so I was down to one car: Shadow.

Lap 3

Green Rocket made a quick pit stop and changed tires, and still had a good lead leaving the pits. Shadow was in second place, and not in great shape, but I opted to drive carefully and not stop in the pits. Shadow did get held up on the second corner again, but so did Green Rocket and I gained on him.

In the fifth corner, Shadow manged to catch up to Green Rocket, and the race was on! Bumble Bee finally pulled ahead of Demi-Vert as he spun out.

Shadow and Green Rocket raced within a few spaces of each other, but Shadow managed to get a couple of spaces ahead coming out of the last corner, and won the race. The final standings:

Shadow
Green Rocket
Bumble Bee
Demi-Vert
Noel (eliminated)
Phoenix (eliminated)

One of my cars also won our first three-lap race, but like that race, I also only had one car left; this time my wife had all three of hers. For the two cars that were eliminated I had planned to make a pit stop on the second lap because they seemed to be in pretty good shape after the first lap, but a lot can happen in one lap, as this is definitely a much faster race than Monaco.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.