J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Approximately 500,000 full-time and part-time associates at Walmart U.S. stores and Sam's Clubs will receive pay raises in the first half of the current fiscal year. Current and future associates will benefit from this initiative, which ensures that Walmart hourly associates earn at least $1.75 above today's federal minimum wage, or $9.00 per hour, in April. The following year, by Feb. 1, 2016, current associates will earn at least $10.00 per hour.

This is great news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Walmart raises minimum wage
About fucking time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's great and all, but I don't know who that's really going to help. According to Wal-Mart only 6,000 workers made minimum wage anyway, and after the increases the average pay for a retail associate will go from $12.94 to $13. I don't think wages are the problem so much as benefits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
This'll make ISIS stop their murderous rampage!

Rawr, all things must relate to my current outrage!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Outrage is the new outrage!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
You see there is no good news in the world as long as Obama is president.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

Just point your Rage Boner at them. I'm sure that will do it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
That's great and all, but I don't know who that's really going to help. According to Wal-Mart only 6,000 workers made minimum wage anyway, and after the increases the average pay for a retail associate will go from $12.94 to $13. I don't think wages are the problem so much as benefits.

Here's more info on the changes:

Quote:
With its new changes, the company's average full-time wage will be $13 an hour, up from $12.85. For part-time workers, the hourly wage will be $10, up from $9.48.

[...]

Here's a breakdown of some of Wal-Mart's plans:

— Start raising entry level wages to at least $9 an hour in April and to at least $10 an hour by February of next year. That includes the less than 6,000 workers who make the federal minimum wage. Sam's Club locations will offer a starting hourly wage of at least $9.50 or higher in all markets, and at least $10.50 by next year.

— Raise the floor and ceiling of its pay range for each position in most stores. For example, the pay range for cashiers is $7.65 to $16. The new range will be $9.00 to $17.55.

—Raise the starting wage for some department managers to at least $13 an hour by this summer and at least $15 an hour by early next year.

— Give newly hired workers a $9 per hour training wage and when they successfully complete the six-month training program, raise it to $10 an hour. Those workers can pursue one of three career paths: hourly supervisor, a specialty path like working in a bakery or deli or expand their skills in their current role.

— Give hourly workers hands-on training in areas including teamwork, merchandising, retail fundamentals and communications. Store leaders like hourly supervisors will get refresher training on people leadership skills so that they can help workers grow and advance.

— Roll out a program that offers some workers fixed schedules so they can be able to choose the same hours each week. The program is being tested in Wichita, Kansas.

— Team up with its nonprofit, Walmart Foundation, to invest a total of $100 million spread over the next five years to support programs that help advance careers for entry level workers in the industry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It's a PR move. That's about starting pay here in Idaho already, and we are definitely not at the top end of the hourly job market. So out of a couple million employees some might see an extra $10 a few weeks before they would have received it anyway.

But if it makes the permanently indignant and the affluent SJW's feel like they are winning the war, so much the better for Walmart. I recommend reading The Art Of War. Or any serious book on how to manage public perception.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Employer=Wal-Mart_Stores...

As you can see, Walmart was a few cents below the other oppressors of the downtrodden as of last fall. About 5 cents or less per hour.

Yay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Quote:
Approximately 500,000 full-time and part-time associates at Walmart U.S. stores and Sam's Clubs will receive pay raises in the first half of the current fiscal year. Current and future associates will benefit from this initiative, which ensures that Walmart hourly associates earn at least $1.75 above today's federal minimum wage, or $9.00 per hour, in April. The following year, by Feb. 1, 2016, current associates will earn at least $10.00 per hour.

This is great news.
But Obamacare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:
damiangerous wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Outrage is the new outrage!
ANGRY white man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what they need to do is hire a greeter who is secretly screening people to ensure they're wearing appropriate attire:

Oh, the people of Wal Mart....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
This is great news.

But I thought Walmart was the suck ? oh noes !!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
jmilum wrote:
This is great news.

If a child rapist gets jailed that is great news, it does not mean I now think child rape is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
If a child rapist gets jailed that is great news, it does not mean I now think child rape is great.

WTF........ dude, seriously, sometimes I think you have some real issues that need addressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
jeremycobert wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

WTF........ dude, seriously, sometimes I think you have some real issues that need addressed.
And you need to learn how to comprehend analogy.

Saying you think X doing Y is great does not mean you now no longer think X is still shity, it's just less shity.

I think it is great that the Catholic Church has made some efforts to address the pedophilia within it's ranks, that does not mean I think they have done enough.

People think it's great Walmart are upping their wages, that does not mean they think they pay enough.

It's really not that hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Consider who you are replying too. For him it might just be that difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Consider who you are replying too. For him it might just be that difficult.
Good point, forgot that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
jeremycobert wrote:
jmilum wrote:
This is great news.

Oh, they still are.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/4-reasons-walmart-most-hated-1...

Quote:
Walmart is the most-hated retailer in America

If your idea of shopping hell is a trip to Walmart (WMT), you’re not alone.

According to a survey of more than 8,700 people released Wednesday by the American Customer Satisfaction Index, Americans overall satisfaction with retail stores fell 1.4% in 2014, after three years of steady improvements — in part due to rising prices. And some stores (ahem, Walmart, which just scored its worst customer satisfaction rating since 2007, securing the bottom spot on ACSI’s retail customer service ranking) fare worse than others.

While this year, Walmart tied with armed forces store Exchange as the worst-rated department or discount store, in recent past years, it’s been the single worst-scoring store. In 2011, 2012 and 2013, Walmart was the single lowest-scoring department and discount store on the list — a significant departure from 10 to 15 years ago when the store ranked highly.

What’s more, Walmart has the lowest score (68 out of 100) not only among discount/department stores, but also when compared to specialty retail stores like Costco (COST), Gap (GPS), Office Depot (ODP) and Big Lots (BIG); supermarkets; health and personal care stores and Internet retailers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Quote:

What I really hate about Wal-Mart is that the place is always jam-packed with shoppers. Shoppers who apparently hate it.
You do know people can hate where they shop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Quote:

What I really hate about Wal-Mart is that the place is always jam-packed with shoppers. Shoppers who apparently hate it.
You do know people can hate where they shop.

The interesting thing about the vocal Wal-Mart haters is that I see them over there loading up their minivans with groceries, too.

They're posers. They say what they think they're supposed to say in public: "Down with Wal-Mart! Down with Capitalism! Wal-Mart Expoits Workers! Workers of the World Unite!" but they also want a good price when they're trying to make ends meet, so they sneak over to Wal-Mart at 10:00 pm to do their grocery shopping when they hope their fellow travelers won't see them.

Funny how all the little lefty ideals you held when you were a college student without a care in the world suddenly fall by the wayside when you're trying to raise a family.

I doubt most people who shop in walmat went to college. As I understand it Walmat, but your other point is exactly it.

People do not shop in Walmart out of store loyalty, but out of necessity. Just becasue they shop there does not mean they do not like how the store operates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew,
Did it ever dawn on you that the negative reviews might have something to do with the fact their store might look like shit hole or the customer service sucks or that the no name brand food is flavorless knock off garbage or that.....? Poor ratings might have nothing to do with what you're talking about at all. People will hold their nose to get it cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Funny how all the little lefty ideals you held when you were a college student without a care in the world suddenly fall by the wayside when you're trying to raise a family.

I know, right? What kind of shitty, hypocritical person compromises their ideals out of necessity.

Drew1365 wrote:
I created an ad for the loathsome MTEA a few years ago, and I still feel icky about it today. But I wasn't in a position to be able to refuse. I wish I had been.

Oh...right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On another board someone calculated that the cost of this wage increase is going to be 0.3% of their revenue.

If true, most of the employees won't see the raise because they are already making that much.

So lots of good press for giving a small number of employees a raise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
It's a PR move.

Of course it's a PR move, designed in part, I imagine, to take off some of the pressure for raising wages more significantly and to undermine unionization efforts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.