Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Povey
United Kingdom
Haslingden
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is another card I am having difficulty with in a solitaire game (US v 'the bots')

The game situation:
There is a MOMENTUM event preventing AMBUSH

NVA are first up and (because they cannot use the ambush shaded event) take Ops+Special ability (and I use the bot instructions. So far so good...

Next eligible are ARVN
With no halo around the symbol they could take the event - unshaded (if they could carry it out and it would benefit them)

Here is the problem

I do not understand the unshaded event at all
Can someone please explain:
"March into Support/Loc Activates if moving plus non-Base COIN >1 (vice>3)" ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timelord23 wrote:
I do not understand the unshaded event at all
Can someone please explain:
"March into Support/Loc Activates if moving plus non-Base COIN >1 (vice>3)" ?

I read somewhere that Volko likes using "vice" instead of the more familiar but longer "instead of".

Note that the card is a capability. So it means that from now on when insurgents march guerrilas into a support or Loc, the guerrilas are activated if the total number is > 1 instead of > 3 (as it would be with the usual rules, unaffected by the event overriding them - see 3.3.2).

PS: Forum search is your friend: search "main force bns" reveals this older thread:
Main Force Bns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Russ is correct on both counts.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Timelord23 wrote:
Here is another card I am having difficulty with in a solitaire game (US v 'the bots')

The game situation:
There is a MOMENTUM event preventing AMBUSH

NVA are first up and (because they cannot use the ambush shaded event) take Ops+Special ability (and I use the bot instructions. So far so good...

No. The Momentum you mention does NOT prevent the NVA play of shaded "Main Force Bns", for two reasons:

* As Russ mentions this is a Capability (5.3; for bots see also 8.1 bullet 4). The shaded version doesn't grant any Ambushes now (so there is nothing for the Momentum to stop); instead it changes how VC Ambushes work for the rest of the entire game (i.e., it extends well after the Momentum ends on the next Coup).

* Even if the Event had granted a free Ambush now, the Momentum wouldn't have been able to stop it, because per rule 5.1.2 the currently played Event overrides any previous ones when the Event texts contradict one another.

Regards, Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that since it's a Capability, for the bots to take it you have to roll under the number of Coup cards remaining in the deck on a die. Otherwise they'll Op+Special, as usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.