Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jace
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
After searching high and low for a storage solution that fit my needs, I've finally come up with my own. It was a fair bit of work, but I figured I'd share my tale of success!

I started with the Summoner Wars insert from [geekurl=http://go7gaming.com/product/insert-for-summoner-wars/]go7gaming[/geekurl]. This project requires an additional side piece from the set.

With the kit in hand, I started the mockup process:

Each arrow points to one of the 12 new holes we need to create. I used the horizontal lines as a guide. The vertical lines were drawn 1.5mm to each side of the middle point between the existing holes (or hole and the inner indents of the left side). This creates the centered, 3mm wide boxes that match the existing holes.

To cut them out, I drilled a hole in the boxes, carved the rest out with an xacto knife, and sanded/filed to smooth things out.

With the holes created, we fit the pieces. I used a tiny bit of wood glue on the bottoms and corners for strength:

The arrows show our new dividers. The right side is missing, since we used that piece for one of our new columns. This is why we need the kit plus an extra side. You can also see two of our dividers for the columns:

In this image I've highlighted the lines I created. The red lines represent cuts. The vertical line is directly center. To cut this, I used the Dremel [geekurl=http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-670-Mini-Saw-Attachment/dp/B00008Z9ZP/]Mini Saw Attachment[/geekurl] turned upside down like a makeshift table saw. This is all super messy, and you should totally use protective eyewear.

Then, I measured in 1.5mm or so and freehand cut with an [geekurl=http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-EZ476-2-Inch-Cut-Off-Plastic/dp/B000FBLRW4/]EZ Lock Cut-off Wheel[/geekurl]. This is the most time consuming part. The kit comes with 22 dividers, and I cut them all. Taking it slow really gives you cleaner lines on the dividers.

And now, the images we've been waiting for... everything!

This is all cards, tokens, and figures from the base game and all expansions (up to and including The Deep Realms). The second box contains all boards and instructions.

Ultimately, I ended up moving The Dragon Tokens to the Board Box, and adjusting the locations of things a bit:

Characters, Endings and other similar sized cards are under the cones, and I used a couple extra dividers to keep the figures in place in the middle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job!

This is something I've wanted for quite a long time. I've got a mess of cards that I'd like to organize in a card tray like this. I've been bugging the Broken Token people to get them to do something for Talisman like this. I'll probably just have to make one like you did since I don't think they are interested in doing one for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
Text coming soon... probably...
badge
Get tipsy and fight a farmer with Strength 3
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice. I've tried out several solutions, but I've never been 100% happy with any so far as there is always a trade off.

The main problem I found with the wooden inserts was that they end up really heavy and storing the cards upright makes them prone to bending when the lid is on.

Currently I've just gone back to zip lock bags, but will be trying again soon enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jace
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Heavy for sure. I have my boxes stored upright on thier sides, so hopefully I don't end up with any of the bending from things pushing down on the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done. I like my pretty boxes too much to forgo them however.

Now if we can get that silly author of Nether Realms to produce larger xpacs so as they fit in a small-box...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
Text coming soon... probably...
badge
Get tipsy and fight a farmer with Strength 3
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahem! (...and The Deep Realms!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reminds me... need to pick that up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gervais
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here's what I made for storing my Talisman & expansions:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1948591/my-custom-talisman-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.