Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Schmoll
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there everyone.

So a friend and I have gotten interested in MDM and have been for a while. We've been acquiring boosters, starters, etc. My question is this:

We don't have any regular drafting events nearby. The only thing nearby is kind of a "tournament" every week or so in which it's the same teams, same style, etc. We're interested in the draft style of playing. What is the best way of accomplishing this? Splitting what we already have into random stacks and drafting? How should we best determine the "pool" to draft from?
Or perhaps play the Rainbow Draft style of rules, but just the two of us? More packs is always good and it's a more interesting/fun way to acquire them than just BUY GRAVITY FEEEEEDS.

What do you lovely people think? What are your experiences?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a game store nearby (which I assume is holding the "tournaments"), you should see about getting them registered in WizKids Events System and get signed up for the Organized Play events. It's a cool way to get people interested in the game, and there's the option of getting some cool promo cards.

WizKids has also recommended that Rainbow Draft is a preferred method for their OP events, so you could look into that. Even if you can't get it done through the game store, you can still use the Rainbow Draft "rules" for just two players.

Another option might be the "hybrid" method, where you come with 4 characters and then Rainbow Draft (with fewer packs) to get the other 4. All the info is on WizKids' site, I can get you some links if you're interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wood
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Hybrid is more of a small team-constructed with a little randomness thrown in. It's primarily your 4 characters that you brought versus your opponents' 4, with the other ones opened contributing rarely being purchased or only providing beneficial globals.

If your local stores aren't interested in Rainbow Drafting, I would do the following. Split all of your individual cards into the following piles (remove any duplicates you may own):
1-2 Cost
3-4 Cost
5-6 Cost
7+ Cost

Then, shuffle each pile and deal out 4 cards from each. Determine who will select first (flip a coin, high dice roll, etc). Whoever wins looks at the 4 cards from the 1-2 cost pile, picks one, and passes it to the other player. They take two cards from that pile, passing the 4th card back to the person who picked first. For the 4 cards from the 3-4 cost pile, you'll alternate. So the loser of the flip gets to look first and pick which one they want. The winner of the flip originally gets to choose two out of the remaining three, passing the last one back. Rinse and repeat for the other two piles. If a duplicate character is turned up later, replace it with a new card. For example, Human Torch's 2 cost is picked first. If a 4 cost version appears later, replace it with another 3-4 card.

This will give you and your opponent an 8-character team with a nice curve of purchase costs (since you're guaranteed 2 characters from the 1-2, 2 from 3-4, 2 from 5-6 and 2 from 7+).

You could even mix all of your basic actions into a similar pile, draw 8 out and make 2 4-card piles and do the above again. Or the two of you just pick actions after you team is drafted.

I personally haven't tried out this way of doing things, but it seems like the most fun and can lead to a lot of variance and different team combinations that you might not otherwise see. It's also completely customizable, so you can remove certain characters you don't want to play with (say, no one gets Gobby or Tsarina, for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
love this idea. Would be great if there was an app that supported this.

there's a suggestion on dicemasters db that would be very helpful IMO.
go here to give it your support/votes

https://dicemastersdb.uservoice.com/forums/250614-general/su...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bailey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deefer wrote:
Would be great if there was an app that supported this.

I (and I have to assume many others) would pay good GeekGold for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.