Popular Tags: [View All]
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens when the bank runs out of gold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Partridge
Australia
Launceston
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmb

Is this a hypothetical question? Or has it actually happened to you? I would have thought that it's so easy to have your money stolen, people are unlikely to hoard gold that much.

Having said that, I imagine the intent was that the bank has unlimited gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
???!

Really?

Someone builds something and/or the rich bugger holding all the money gets it stolen and decides not to do that again.

Seriously, I believe you're just out of luck. However, given that the most money any sane person would have at one time is about, say, 5 or 6, I don't see this ever being an issue. I may be wrong on what happens, but given good play I don't see it being a problem, espeicially given that the game is designed in such a way as to discourage hoarding of both cards and cash.

May I ask what prompted this question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my set came with 30 gold pieces. With 8 players (variant included in the version I just purchased), that's 3.75 gold per player. So if all the players have high-cost district cards (or are saving to build them instead of the low-cost ones)... and if nobody chooses to use the warlord's power... at the start of a round I could see how the assassin might not have the income option.

Edit: It's more plausible if you're playing with the role card from the expansion that lets a player beautify a district by putting a gold on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook I have indicates that the "bank" of gold is unlimited (we had that situation come up in the last game we played).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It can happen with the 'Dark City' expansion cards.

If you happen to have no Thief, and you are playing with the Navigator, one's gold can really pile up.

Thanks for the answer Rulemonger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Veilleux
Canada
Levis
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Bruno Faidutti's forum (the author) someone asked him this question :
Quote:
"I played Citadels yesterday and we came to a point when all 7 players were saving some money to build larger buildings and there was no money left in bank? What happens then when someone wanna take 2 coins when it's his turn ??"

The answer from Bruno was
Quote:
"I never saw this happen so far, but if there's no money, there's no money!!!"

So, you have 30 gols coins available in this game... no more! (but you also have thief... ;P ) So, don't use poker chips, you only use what the game offers to you : 30 gold coins!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dumont Claude
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davebo wrote:

Can it..., does it..., has this ever appened?
We have played several games and it never came close to...
I guess pocker chip or pennies would do the job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dumont Claude
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davebo wrote:

Can it..., does it..., has this ever appened?
We have played several games and it never came close to...
I guess pocker chip or pennies would do the job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javin Lum
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So in finality is the bank limited or unlimited? Cos i did have a game where all the gold ran out too!

There was no thief, a navigator and an artist and 2 players in the game where hoarding all the gold!

cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Wooters
United States
Flowery Branch
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the great thing about it being your game. You can make a call on any rules you want. Make it a house rule. Personally, I would think the bank has unlimited funds. Heck, use a piece of paper and write down your gold scores down. Or, hey, an abacus! LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you're likely to run out of $$ in 7p - 8p and using the Artist's ability. The Thief doesn't seem to help That much in keeping the cashflow down. Sure, players are discouraged and ever fearful of the Thief, but with 6p to 8p, there's less of a chance you'd get robbed since the Thief has more choices (no face up character cards) to make. Even then, there's still the same amount of $$ on the board. It's just been transferred to another player.

If the rulebook says the funds are unlimited, that'll be my call despite Bruno saying otherwise. It seems to be a moot issue in my games, so may as well make it that way for good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.