Hide
4 Posts

Terra Mystica» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Let desert cover the world rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Hellmann
msg tools
This game started with an hour long session of learning the rules and setting everything up. To put it plainly, the rules could have been set up a bit better. One of the opening pages part of the way through, told us to just skip that page and come back later.

But finally, we were ready...

I began as the grand leader to the Nomads. Our wanderings had given us settlements across the world, though left us behind the weak-willed Alchemists (John) and Witches (Martha) in terms of workers. That scale would tip soon enough.
The Witches build a trading post next to our settlements and I had my first choice to trade power for point loss. I took that trade, knowing it would prove beneficial in the future, and this decision lead the way for the rest of the game. Power would be mine!
The Witches are expanding beside me. This is not acceptable, we must crush them.
Our expansions early on have paid of, as we start the next turn with a legion of workers.

However we misjudged the Witches, as their expansion cut us off from cultivating more desert. This is an act of war, they will burn!

At this point I decided to check up on the Alchemists, but they had chosen poorly, constructing a temple too soon. They would be no trouble.
I, on the other hand, was building up my trading posts, which would support my temple nicely. It is important to have a following that can offer much gold.

I continued to move back in score for the price of power. It was worth it knowing what it would allow us to do later. The Witches, however, were continuing to be a threat, as they pulled ahead in score and even managed to build a town.
At this point we decided to train our workers to be more efficient at what they do, which would allow us to expand far further. Our priest had paid off well.

Our next dwelling granted us a town, granting us a nice boost in points. It would do, for now.
The power I had been building ended up paying off, granting us much gold which we funneled into various projects. We were on top of the terraforming world.
The Witches started to follow suit, training their workers to terraform better. They were behind us, but still worryingly close.
We glanced over at the Alchemists, they seem to be failing nicely. We won't have to worry about them. Now to crush the Witches...

A progress report and our greatest victory yet. Not only has our empire expanded to an impressive extent, but we were able to burn one of the Witch's forests in the the process. The revenge was sweet.
Our victory was short lived as the Alchemists, the silly Alchemists, the simple Alchemists flooded a desert. They will die.

Our power base is full, and impressive site.
Unfortunately our conquest of the world must be cut short. Pressing matters draw me elsewhere, so the time for the great reveal is now.

Using the rest of my power, I came out as the head of the Earth Cult (the most powerful of the four). While I must leave this world for now, my followers will praise my name for many many years to come.

Here shows the final game board, though incomplete champions me as the winner. Before the end I did manage to burn one last forest that the Witches had converted from the mountains.

Overall a very good game. Burned many forests. 10/10. Would play again.
The flow of the game made a lot of sense after the initial time required to read and understand the rules. There where a number of different paths, though they interlocked well, allowing one thing to easily transition into another. A well made game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhett Morgan
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report! I'm going to be "that guy" and mention that you misread the rules somewhere along the way because I see two towns that have only five power of buildings in them and unless yellow has the two fire favor, another one along the bottom with only six.

Glad you enjoyed the game!

Edit: your final game board shows two or three rounds remaining. Did you cut the game short?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Hellmann
msg tools
We actually ended up realizing that after we had already finished, but thanks for the heads up.
And yeah, unfortunately we had to. As I mentioned at the beginning, the game took awhile to learn, so we had to cut it short at the end seeing as another player and I had some other meetings to attend. It's definitely a game I hope to go back and play all the way through some other time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhett Morgan
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very glad that you enjoyed it! It's always a good thing to get new players. Please also consider playing with us online on the Snellman site: terra.snellman.net.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.