12 Posts

Marvel Dice Masters: Uncanny X-Men» Forums » General

Subject: Current meta/top teams in tournaments? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zhang Zewen
msg tools
mbmb
Having been out of the dice master scene for several months, I wonder is there a place where I can view the current top team results from recent tournaments?

I am also curious in the current meta state. Is is still dominated by the Goblin/Widow combination?

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Selecting which globals you take in your team is far more crucial now than it was that is for sure. Single energy teams are viable now, and dice manipulation is much higher than it was. Widow has had direct counters from the start, but there are more now. Human Torch is still the strongest card in the game. Gobby can be good but we have about 30 cards that do things with Sidekicks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably the single most important card right now is Recruiting Young Mutants, specifically the global on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IMHO, PXG is overrated. People seem to think its Global is a great, but its a Global meaning your opponent can use it too. He'll just leech off your PXG to build his team just as fast as you. The card gives no real distinct advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vonVile wrote:
IMHO, PXG is overrated. People seem to think its Global is a great, but its a Global meaning your opponent can use it too. He'll just leech off your PXG to build his team just as fast as you. The card gives no real distinct advantage.
My experiences tell me different. The one who plans with PXG in mind has a very real advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sias Mey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, PXG makes things possible that would be at like a 10% chance before PXG. Buying a hulk turn 2??? ... come on, how is that not an advantage.

Buying a 4 cost and guaranteeing pulling it along with 8 sidekick dice?

Yes, you have to plan for PXG, but usually that is simply having a single big character and either a cheap mask character or not using masks for anything besides PXG. The opponent can do it too... Sure... but, what it does is change the meta with regards to how much energy is available at any point. There are also plenty of ways to interupt Your oppoenents ramp, so there are secondary ways of gaining advantage from PXG that are a little more difficult to quantify.

Besides just like it always was, teams that need it will probably bring it themselves. You cant just say this does the same for me as for my opponent so its no real advantage... The advantage is in what it lets you do.

Teams that plan against PXG are not quite as big as I expected just yet, but the only option against him till Yugioh has been Prof X from AvX... Dont have yugioh here yet... so cant comment on those. I hope we have a viable replacement for a similar style of ramp before he gets cycled out, I dont really want to go back to only 2,3,4 cost dice being reliable enough buys to make the cut for a team. I enjoy attacking with 2/3 hulks in a single turn way too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We'll see what happens at the Nationals. DiceAnon believes that most teams there will be using "Turn 4 Kill" teams. Gobby/Tsarina builds very rarely outrun them. It's getting tiresome seeing both players play PXG multiple times on EVERY turn. It seems like that is the preferred build by everyone at DiceAnon. I'm predicting that cards with PXG will be the first to be banned from tournament play, and a future set will have a PXG replacement that isn't as powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doctor Oetker wrote:
We'll see what happens at the Nationals. DiceAnon believes that most teams there will be using "Turn 4 Kill" teams. Gobby/Tsarina builds very rarely outrun them. It's getting tiresome seeing both players play PXG multiple times on EVERY turn. It seems like that is the preferred build by everyone at DiceAnon. I'm predicting that cards with PXG will be the first to be banned from tournament play, and a future set will have a PXG replacement that isn't as powerful.

I am predicting you are wrong.
You are going to have decide very carefully what globals you take and make sure the ones you take, you use more than your opponent, it is that simple. PXG is fantastic but if you only have 1 mask character maybe you should not take him. He has counters now too, of course it would require reading cards rather than banning cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When are the Nationals and are they constructed only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wood
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
okami31 wrote:
When are the Nationals and are they constructed only?

April 11th for the Qualifiers and April 12th for the actual tournament. Details are here:
http://wizkidseventsystem.com/wizkids-nationals.php

The format of the main tournament and qualifiers is listed as 'Constructed, unlimited (8 characters/20 dice)'. While the Tournament Rules section still says TBA, most players have accepted this to mean everything released by this point - currently, that would include:
Marvel Avengers vs. X-Men
Marvel Uncanny X-Men
Yu-gi-oh Series 1
Dungeons and Dragons Battle for Faerun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas P.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doctor Oetker wrote:

Our play time is relatively well split between fun builds and serious builds, but the stuff we find most interesting to talk about is the stuff that we have been extremely successful with on a competitive level, so it gets a lot more exposure from us haha.

Turn 4 elements are undeniably some of the strongest things in the AvX/UxM meta, but if Nationals has both Yugioh and DnD like we think it will, more Lord of D. may change our tune in upcoming weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Tucker
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
Doctor Oetker wrote:

I am predicting you are wrong.
You are going to have decide very carefully what globals you take and make sure the ones you take, you use more than your opponent, it is that simple. PXG is fantastic but if you only have 1 mask character maybe you should not take him. He has counters now too, of course it would require reading cards rather than banning cards.

I agree with you Garth. It's a matter of reading and knowing the cards available to you. Not just throwing a ban up to appease those not wanting to use PXG. Do I like PXG personally? Probably. But not because it does something for me over my opponent. It's because I no longer have to watch a beast wall go up and wade through 30 minute games just to see someone roll more than 6 dice.

I feel like we all quickly forget what we disliked previously when something we dislike overshadows it now. PXG overshadows the beast wall from days past. There will be something in the future that overshadows PXG and how quickly we will all forget it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.