Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Stinchfield
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have one craftsmen that earns gold and another that allows gold for VPs, can the gold earned by the first be applied to the gold for VPs craftsman in the same round?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Luedtke
Germany
Duisburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Re: Gold earning craftsman and gold for VPs in the same roun
Since you can choose the order of scoring your craftsmen it is allowed to collect gold first and then use it for scoring victory points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
smiler63 wrote:
Since you can choose the order of scoring your craftsmen it is allowed to collect gold first and then use it for scoring victory points.

Thank you!

PS I hope this answer is according to what the designers meant, even if the rules, as written, allow it. It probably makes sense. After all, without that possibility, the craftsmen that turn money into VPs would not be very good, especially in the last turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jighm Brown
United States
Rossville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize that it is 3 years after the original posts, however, I must say that I believe that this answer is wrong. The rules state that you allocate all of your resources first (I read this to mean gold, too, since it is being used to make something else), then score for each of your craftsmen. Therefore, you could not use the gold from the one to pay for the other. The payment time has already ended.

That is my understanding of the rules.

Jighm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this answer is absolutely correct. Use the gold you aquire from craftsman to get Victory Points.

Let's say I have:

Master Woodworker: 1 Wood -> 4 Gold (2x per turn)
Goldsmith: 3 Gold -> 1 Victory Point

Now, the rules, as written:

The Rules, Page 7 wrote:
First, you choose which resources you want to use in the construction of the cathedral this round. Then, score victory points by moving your scoring marker on the victory point track according to the performance of your craftsman. Finally, return all of the resources you just used for the building of the cathedral to the resource fields.

Let's say I have 1 wood block, and no other resources.

First - I selcet the resources I want to use. I decide to use the wood I have, and 3 of the 4 gold I will soon have.

Then Score - I turn the wood into 4 Gold, 3 of that gets turned into 1 Victory Point, and I also add a gold to my stash.

Now, I know you are going to say that I can't use the gold, because I don't have the gold yet. I think this is wholly intended by the rules. If you played stricly as written, you will notice that the rules mention:

First - Select Resources
Then - Score VP
Last - Return Resources.

If you follow just this, you wouldn't even be able to use the craftmen to make gold. Gold isn't scoring VP, and the rules say after you select your resources, you score VP. Nothing else.

I don't think it is a leap that you are able to use all the Craftsmen you want, as long as you don't go over their limit.

And, I was actually just reading the rules a little closer, and it also mentions this:

The Rules - Page 8 wrote:
Besides the normal craftsmen who turn resources into victory points, there are several craftsmen with special abilities that only come into play at the end of each round:

Then it goes on to list the Goldsmith, Architect, Toolmaker, and Master Woodcutter.

So, even as written, the non-normal craftsmen's abilities only come into play at the end of each round. That would be after everyone makes their VPs in step 13 of the round.

At least, that's what the rules say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The official ruling is that you can do them in any order, but have to allocate resources to the cards as you go. So no sneaky stuff like getting gold for your only metal with Toolmaker, and also turning it into points with Bellmaker. Two questions - newbie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.