Subject: Caylus Strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Thompson
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Knowing what to do all the time of course, would be impossible to put down on paper. All I can do is just throw out a few strategies that have worked for me.

1. Money
The keys to money isn't having tons of it, it's always having enough. "Enough" varries of course, but most of the time most players would rather play a worker rather then pass. You will probobably want enough to place all your workers assuming a cost of 1, plus a little extra for the provost, just in case. If you ever start a turn with only 2 cash, you have done something wrong. One common mistake I see players make is not using the peddler to trade there goods for money - particularly the 6 cost one. This is almost always worth it once the two resource and three resource buildings are on the table.

2. The Castle
The general goal of castle building you want to generally build as few castle peices as it takes so that you get the favor, unless doing so locks someone out of building or it's the last section. You want to try and hold on to a fair ammount of resources if you can, since having tons discourages people from grabbing the castle easily. Similarly, it's often worth it to get in on the castle in 2nd position to force an opponent to make multiple contributions if he wants to keep the favor. One thing I will say - do your best to get the favor as much as possible via castle building, and do not dismiss a castle building player as a threat.

3. The Jousting Arena
In the mid game, the Jousting Arena is often the one players grab the most - indeed, I've seen players take it who didn't have cloth, for the sole reason that they knew they would deny other players getting it if they took it first. A favor can help you get to that important build track or score a lot of extra money or points. Keep your eye on this building and who takes it.

4. Resource Producing Buildings
These are a huge deal. YOu want as many of these as possible. Not only do they drastically increase the ammount of goods you get (paritcularly if a player decides to pass early on) but the three cost ones don't even require workers! It's a virtual guarentee that these buildings will be chosen early and often, making them highly effective sources of points.

5. The Favor
You just can't win this game if you don't get the favor a bunch of times. The building track is just scary, and lets you get up stone buildings before anyone else. It also allows you to skip building a few limited use buildings such as the artitech and the lawyer.

5. How many players? / Zero Sum Games
Knowing how many players are in a game should influence your strategy. Obviously, turn order is WAY more important in a big multiplayer game, where all the three resource producers are going to get scooped up early on. What isn't as important is building those buildings. In a 5 player game, it's highly unlikely one player will pick up 2 of the three resource producers. Also, your always playing against the player currently in the lead - in a 5 player game that VP you just gave your opponent is less likely to be the one that your playing to beat in the end game.

Two player Caylus work exactly the opposite way. The key is to remember that denying your opponent a point (in two player) is the same as giving yourself one. That damned provost will become particularly important (as will money) since it's ALWAYS worth it in a two player game to screw your opponent over in a 2p game.

6. That damnable provost (AKA, the Bully)
If your not using the provost to screw your opponents, your not trying. The provost hut is a VERY important building, simply because it lets you move the provost three without paying anything, AND if you've got the spare cash, you can ram through an opponents attempt to push it backwards.

One of my favorites in a particuarlly cutthroat game is to grab the provost hut early on, usually when there's only one or two double resource producers sitting right by the baliff. If an opponent grabs one, I move the provost back. If he doesn't, I can grab the best resource producer in the game if I'm so inclined. Possibly both of them if I time it right.

7. The Gate - The gate is really really good when the castle's no where near ready to change sections - just jump on the castle, and if your the only one there, you can grab the favor. This can sometimes get you the favor even if another player could build more sections then you.

Another good use of the gate is with the provost hut. If you take the hut and an end building, other players may jump in on the other end buildings since they know your not likely to move it back if you have at least one building on the end - but if you use the gate you can jump in at the last second and you won't be giving your opponents jack squat.

8. Passing
Knowing when to pass can be smart. If your opponents are low on money or are going to run away with the game, you can always pass to boost the cost to play - this can make a huge difference in what your opponent gets to do that turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sillion
Sweden
Varberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fugitive_Unknown wrote:

6. That damnable provost (AKA, the Bully)
If your not using the provost to screw your opponents, your not trying. The provost hut is a VERY important building, simply because it lets you move the provost three without paying anything, AND if you've got the spare cash, you can ram through an opponents attempt to push it backwards.

One of my favorites in a particuarlly cutthroat game is to grab the provost hut early on, usually when there's only one or two double resource producers sitting right by the baliff. If an opponent grabs one, I move the provost back. If he doesn't, I can grab the best resource producer in the game if I'm so inclined. Possibly both of them if I time it right.

Acctually you will have to pay 1 for placing it there and it costs you another one not to pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It only costs you one not to pass if you don't pass first. It's quite possible to take the provost hut and still pass first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kayla Jill
msg tools
but the three cost ones don't even require workers! It's a virtual guarentee that these buildings will be chosen early and often, making them highly effective sources of points.

What did you mean by the "three cost ones don't even require workers!"

I am confused by that, I have played twice and don't know what this refers to...Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liallan G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand what that means either. If you take the paragraph as a whole, it sounds like he's meaning buy production buildings so you get your house on it, then you get a point every time one of those is used - and they will be used.

But there aren't "three cost" ones. I have no clue about that. The stone and wood buildings all cost 2 resources. There are 3 stone buildings that provide 3 resources, but that's not the cost. And everything requires workers - you have to get those buildings done by putting workers on one of the building spots, or by getting a favor on the building track. But there aren't some kind of special buildings that don't require workers. So that entire comment makes no sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of you have questioned the original poster's meaning behind his statement from the below quote about "3 cost ones". I'm pretty confident he means "the 3 stone procduction buildings that reward a worker placed there with 3 resources also gains the building owner 1 resource without requiring another of the owner's workers." so these buildings have the feeling of rewarding the owner "for free" when another player places a worker there. They are a dominant strategy for 2 player, and solid strategy in 3 player. Not as much in 4 or 5 player.

Fugitive_Unknown wrote:

4. Resource Producing Buildings
These are a huge deal. YOu want as many of these as possible. Not only do they drastically increase the ammount of goods you get (paritcularly if a player decides to pass early on) but the three cost ones don't even require workers! It's a virtual guarentee that these buildings will be chosen early and often, making them highly effective sources of points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.