Doomtown: Reloaded» Forums » Rules

Subject: More Hexes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Odd Eye
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

It's me again with more situations that arise in play.

Yesterday we had some shenanigans with puppet. This lead to question one:

1.) Once puppet has been successful is it the Huckster controlling the other dude or the faction? The reason I ask is because this was a 3 player game and another 4th Ring player wanted to cast their puppet onto my Huckster. If successful, they argued, that they would control my Huckster + Barton (the dude that I had puppeted).

2.) In the same game, in order to trigger the 4th Ring faction ability, a player cast Forget onto their own card (Travis). Initially, I thought this to be cheating as you usually can only play cards that affect opponents but some hexes are designed to be used on your own dudes. So, is/was this a fair play in the rules of the game?

3.) Can booted dudes (in a location that you control) receive hexes?

4.) Can booted dudes cast hexes?

Thanks for any help/answers given.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoshi
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Puppet states "take control" not anything about the huckster taking control, so you as the player take control of that dude, which remains even if the huckster leaves your control or leaves play.

2. There are no restirctions on targeting hexes on your own dudes, as long as the target is leagl or the spell does not explicitly say that you can't target your own/must target an opponent.

3. No, attaching a hex is shopping, dude needs to be unbooted and in a location you control.

4. If the cost of casting a hex does not include booting the Huckster, then yes, a booted dude can cast a hex.

All these questions have a common theme, you are reading things into the rules that are not there (e.g. a restriction on targeting hexes), play cards as written, following rules as written, will help to resolve most issues
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
oddeye45 wrote:
1.) ...If successful, they argued, that they would control my Huckster + Barton (the dude that I had puppeted).

Dammit, I like that guy already!

oddeye45 wrote:
2.) In the same game, in order to trigger the 4th Ring faction ability, a player cast Forget onto their own card (Travis). Initially, I thought this to be cheating as you usually can only play cards that affect opponents but some hexes are designed to be used on your own dudes. So, is/was this a fair play in the rules of the game?

Be mindful what an ability is, as many new players try to cast Forget at dudes with traits only, like Tommy or Irving. There's also another interesting interaction with spells that you should be aware of: you cannot cast Blood Curse (in combat) at a dude equipped with Peacemaker, even if all you want is to just use the outfit ability.

oddeye45 wrote:

Not normally, but with the help of General Store they can!

oddeye45 wrote:
4.) Can booted dudes cast hexes?

Yes, they can. Reasonable question though, some people argue that hucksters are too powerful because of that, and suggest issuing errata to the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A. Regner
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I agree with Yoshi on issue 4. A Huckster is not per se barred from casting a Hex while booted. If the cost of the Hex includes booting the Huckster, then the Hex cannot be cast if the Huckster is already booted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, booted Hucksters can cast hexes as long as booting them isn't part of the cost. It's what makes Shadow Walk so great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Tuesday
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Merry Christmas!
badge
Whatever you do will be insignificent. But it is very important that you do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
mplain wrote:
oddeye45 wrote:

Not normally, but with the help of General Store they can!

General Store does not allow a booted dude to go shopping. The card specifically states "As Shoppin'". All General Store does is reduce the cost of the good you received.

(I have not checked Errata so please correct me if I'm wrong and I'll edit)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quaseymoto wrote:
General Store does not allow a booted dude to go shopping. The card specifically states "As Shoppin'". All General Store does is reduce the cost of the good you received.

(I have not checked Errata so please correct me if I'm wrong and I'll edit)

You're wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.