Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Opinion on the game/ gameplay rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to increasing time consrtaints and being a cold war Kid (born 1972) I was drawn into this game by a friend. I own it and played it numerous times and time and again it facinates me. It gets deeper and deeper and you get smarter and smarter!

The Plus:
very innovative system: you have a hand of cards and can choose either the operational value to conduct actions or to play it as an event. Sometimes you simply have to play a card that triggers an event for your opponent....how frustrating...

It is very accessible and easy to learn and after a couple of rounds you get the hang of it. plays quickly and the more you play the shorter the games. A long game would last around 2,5 hours.

Very high replayability value. Each time you have different hand of cards with endless combinations.

Very engaging gameplay and very exciting decisions as action reaction follows eachother quickly. Forget about long term strategies as coup or reallignment or event will wash away your plans!

The Minus:
It takes a while before the Late War cards come into play so you end up a lot with playing the early and mid war deks. This is just how the system is and not a flaw or anything like that but often the game is finished without even touch the late war deck. There are numerous unplayed cards in the late war deck while I know all the Early War cards by hard.

The cards are excellent but the board and counters are functional but with little appeal. Make sure you have the 2nd. edition as they have clearer counters and they got writ of some errata. I would have loved to see a nice mounted board with good artwork and wooden tokens!

The 'Bear Trap' card can be devastating. As Russian I managed to role a five or a six four times in a row so I was unable to do anything. From -4 VP as Russian player, it went to plus 7 VP's for the American playerzombie. Angrily I stopped the game as this was utterly rediculous. I won't play this game with this card in play again...

Conclusion:
If you have the slightest interest in Cold War - or even if you don't -this is a must have game. Plays quicker the more you play. Very exciting, engaging and highly replayable. A pitty they doo not have more funds for better components (board & counters).

My rating: 9

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Val
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Harae wrote:

If you have the slightest interest in Cold War, this is a must have game.

I'd say even without specific interest in that period, many players would say it is really a must have!

Nice review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right Daniel, even for those without particular interest in the Cold War, this is a great game (edited the review accordingly)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review, however...

Harae wrote:

The 'Bear Trap' card can be devastating. As Russian I managed to role a five or a six four times in a row so I was unable to do anything. From -4 VP as Russian player, it went to plus 7 VP's for the American playerzombie. Angrily I stopped the game as this was utterly rediculous. I won't play this game with this card in play again...

...I'm hoping this is tongue-in-cheek. You would remove a card due to how it can impact roughly 1% of all games played? Not to mention that even those harsh effects have the potential to be offset by the Americans finding themselves in a Quagmire.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.